- Fan-created ‘app’ lets users experience the final moments of the ill-fated Jeremy Renner app Monday 10:00 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos receives lifetime ban from furry convention Monday 7:49 PM
- Snapchat just made all political ads purchased publicly available Monday 6:12 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Borussia Dortmund in Champions League action Monday 5:39 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Napoli in Champions League action Monday 5:19 PM
- How to make real money with Amazon’s Mechanical Turk Monday 5:03 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Valencia in the Champions League group stage Monday 4:47 PM
- ‘SNL’ fires Shane Gillis for racist, homophobic comments Monday 4:41 PM
- Ben Shapiro wants accusers to describe Brett Kavanaugh’s penis Monday 4:30 PM
- Twitch suspends streamer for wearing Chun-Li cosplay Monday 4:11 PM
- Report: 8 years of Trump tax returns subpoenaed by prosecutors Monday 3:45 PM
- Netflix lands exclusive streaming rights to ‘Seinfeld’ Monday 3:34 PM
- Jenny Slate sets first comedy special at Netflix Monday 3:05 PM
- #EndSmearFear is aiming to save lives Monday 2:54 PM
- Netflix ‘Living With Yourself’ trailer offers a double dose of Paul Rudd Monday 2:07 PM
Singer Shakira is currently under investigation by Spanish tax authorities, who believe she moved to their country in 2012 but failed to pay taxes until 2015, when she officially changed residences from the Bahamas to Barcelona, Spain.
Of course, if the Spanish government really wants to get to the bottom of things they can always just ask her hips which, as we all know, don’t lie. They can thank Twitter user “f thot fitzgerald” for that idea. The person behind the account posted a tweet suggesting the foolproof plan yesterday afternoon, and it’s already gathered over 6,000 retweets and more than 20,000 likes.
tax officials: shakira did you evade your income tax payment?— f thot fitzgerald (@dracomallfoys) January 24, 2018
shakira's hips: yes she fucking did officer arrest her immediately https://t.co/w1h6ozPfLg
And yes, everyone is making that joke.
the judge: shakira did you evade your income tax payment?— faggrat (@faggrat) January 24, 2018
shakira: no i did not
shakira's hips: she's lying your honor https://t.co/N7sXFlnDJy
“Shakira, As your lawyer I must advise you not to call your hips as a witness” https://t.co/5yui0rT1Tm— Mallow News (@MallowNews) January 23, 2018
Shakira was born and raised in Barranquilla, Columbia, and recently lived in The Bahamas, but at some point relocated to Barcelona, Spain, where she currently lives with Spanish soccer player Gerard Piqué and their two sons. The couple began dating in 2011, and their first son was born in Spain in January of 2013, but the singer didn’t officially change residences until 2015.
Shakira was one of several celebrities named in the so-called “Paradise Papers“, an anonymously leaked group of documents detailing offshore tax arrangements of other one-name-singers like Bono and Madonna. According to the documents, Shakira relocated her intellectual property rights and brands to a company based in Malta back in 2009. The tiny island nation, located off the southern coast of Sicilia, has been accused of being a “pirate base for tax avoidance.”
According to USA Today, Spanish prosecutor Jose Miguel Company said his office expects to make a decision on whether or not to press charges against Shakira by mid-June.
H/T USA Today
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.