- Twitter lifts ‘permanent’ suspension of activist Barrett Brown Monday 5:52 PM
- Billie Eilish fans fend off objectifying comments on tank top photo Monday 5:32 PM
- Groom’s mother sabotages wedding by tricking guests into wearing jorts and hoodies Monday 4:39 PM
- No one believes Bill de Blasio’s son sent him these debate prep texts Monday 3:26 PM
- Meek Mill, Jay-Z to release ‘Free Meek’ documentary on Amazon Prime Monday 3:20 PM
- 3 ways to secure your Nest cameras Monday 3:15 PM
- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters Monday 2:48 PM
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Monday 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Monday 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Monday 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Monday 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Monday 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Monday 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Monday 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Monday 9:26 AM
Shakira is under investigation for tax evasion and people are wondering if her hips will testify
Did Shakira really evade paying taxes in Spain, and if so will her hips give her up?
Singer Shakira is currently under investigation by Spanish tax authorities, who believe she moved to their country in 2012 but failed to pay taxes until 2015, when she officially changed residences from the Bahamas to Barcelona, Spain.
Of course, if the Spanish government really wants to get to the bottom of things they can always just ask her hips which, as we all know, don’t lie. They can thank Twitter user “f thot fitzgerald” for that idea. The person behind the account posted a tweet suggesting the foolproof plan yesterday afternoon, and it’s already gathered over 6,000 retweets and more than 20,000 likes.
tax officials: shakira did you evade your income tax payment?
shakira's hips: yes she fucking did officer arrest her immediately https://t.co/w1h6ozPfLg
— f thot fitzgerald (@dracomallfoys) January 24, 2018
And yes, everyone is making that joke.
the judge: shakira did you evade your income tax payment?
shakira: no i did not
shakira's hips: she's lying your honor https://t.co/N7sXFlnDJy
— faggrat (@faggrat) January 24, 2018
“Shakira, As your lawyer I must advise you not to call your hips as a witness” https://t.co/5yui0rT1Tm
— Mallow News (@MallowNews) January 23, 2018
Shakira was born and raised in Barranquilla, Columbia, and recently lived in The Bahamas, but at some point relocated to Barcelona, Spain, where she currently lives with Spanish soccer player Gerard Piqué and their two sons. The couple began dating in 2011, and their first son was born in Spain in January of 2013, but the singer didn’t officially change residences until 2015.
Shakira was one of several celebrities named in the so-called “Paradise Papers“, an anonymously leaked group of documents detailing offshore tax arrangements of other one-name-singers like Bono and Madonna. According to the documents, Shakira relocated her intellectual property rights and brands to a company based in Malta back in 2009. The tiny island nation, located off the southern coast of Sicilia, has been accused of being a “pirate base for tax avoidance.”
According to USA Today, Spanish prosecutor Jose Miguel Company said his office expects to make a decision on whether or not to press charges against Shakira by mid-June.
H/T USA Today
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.