- Report finds some users can’t opt out of Facebook’s face recognition Monday 7:27 PM
- Get emotional over this real-life pastor baptizing an anime girl in virtual reality Monday 6:53 PM
- Twitter wants to know what Jack in the Box did to offend Kim Kardashian Monday 6:38 PM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ meme claims King’s Landing is an ‘inside job’ Monday 6:06 PM
- Report: Personal data of 49 million Instagram influencers exposed online Monday 4:57 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 trailer teases a wet, hot American summer Monday 4:02 PM
- What Daenerys’ biggest ‘Game of Thrones’ scenes have in common with Nazi propaganda Monday 3:12 PM
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in June Monday 2:11 PM
- Where did Jon Snow go? Unpacking the ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 2:04 PM
- So, did anyone actually win ‘Game of Thrones’? Monday 1:29 PM
- The surprising religious subtext of ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ Monday 12:53 PM
- Robin Arryn got hot—and the internet is seriously shook Monday 12:40 PM
- Tana Mongeau is going to VidCon a year after TanaCon disaster Monday 12:12 PM
- What have 2020 Democrats said about Alabama’s abortion ban? Monday 11:36 AM
- People keep throwing milkshakes at the U.K.’s far-right politicians Monday 11:10 AM
Struggling to come up with that perfect Halloween costume that represents a piece of you, looks cute as hell, and doesn’t break the bank? Don’t worry, Twitter’s got your back with a recent trend: This year you can go as the sexy version of your greatest fear, and if you can’t think of a good combo, there are dozens of suggestions.
Many used the rise of the surging pre-Halloween meme as an opportunity to poke fun at their own concerns and insecurities, like @brai_1993, who’s sexy costume would be “Sexy all my friends are only friends with me as part of an elaborate practical joke.”
The jokes write themselves. What is an intangible fear that you have? Dropping out of college? Losing your wireless Apple earbuds? Just write “sexy” in front of that and boom, you have a Halloween costume.
Sexy all my friends are only friends with me as part of an elaborate practical joke https://t.co/zs6w3ltV1e
— That Darn Mudkip (@brai_1993) October 11, 2018
Sexy Failure https://t.co/HjjmYmTqR5
— Sharon (@lahmskimmich) October 11, 2018
Sexy failed PhD https://t.co/5d8h6F9W0a
— María (@meeromensajero) October 11, 2018
I’m going as a Sexy Viral Tweet With A Typo In It https://t.co/LLUPKBwAt5
— Casey Newton (@CaseyNewton) October 10, 2018
Some costume ideas were a bit too real. “Sexy existential dread,” or worse, “sexy responsibility.” No thank you.
Sexy existential dread https://t.co/ZO6TEy7tl4
— Sileem but spooky (@SileemFarghaly) October 11, 2018
Sexy responsibility https://t.co/FrIeyijkyq
— johncel in distress🎭 (@dlrjohncel) October 11, 2018
sexy student debt https://t.co/OjOj7VtpQ4
— BAILEY, THE LIBTARDTARIAN ☢️ (@atheist_cvnt) October 11, 2018
Sexy Reply All https://t.co/TtBcvtrrdB
— Killing Pablo (by Mark Bowden) (@pablohidalgo) October 10, 2018
Some people used the meme as a chance to express their political fears, like @sethdmichaels, who’s costume would be “Sexy The Historical Window for Pluralistic Liberal Democracy is Small and Closing,” or @MalloryInPink’s “sexy men telling me what to do with my body.”
Sexy The Historical Window for Pluralistic Liberal Democracy Is Small and Closing https://t.co/XOaoggDZHa
— Seth D. Michaels (@sethdmichaels) October 10, 2018
— Alasdair Thomson (@a_p_thomson) October 11, 2018
sexy I don't die of natural causes at least a decade before climate change-driven resource scarcity and the rise of fascist autocracies finally collapses society into a horror-strewn wilderness of death, oppression, and impoverishment https://t.co/bU3y9n0ON3
— Jason Linkins (@dceiver) October 10, 2018
Sexy men telling me what to do with my body. https://t.co/ugkq7f6y4w
— Angry Mob Your Mother Warned You About (@MalloryInPink) October 11, 2018
OH FFS WE'RE ALL GOING AS SEXY CLIMATE CHANGE https://t.co/uxMiDC6eb7
— Laura Klein (@lauraklein) October 11, 2018
Fears over the quality of upcoming video games were even targeted, from the upcoming release of Red Dead Redemption 2 to Rayman 4.
Sexy not getting review copies of RDR2 https://t.co/eYSCy3Soto
— Eurogamer (@eurogamer) October 11, 2018
Sexy Rayman 4 will be bad https://t.co/YAayo8dian
— PigeonMagique (@PigeonMagique) October 11, 2018
There were, of course, those who went in a more traditional direction. Options like “sexy shark” and “sexy snakes” abound. Don’t worry @luvpreet33, Indiana Jones can rock that sexy snake costume with you.
Sexy Snakes https://t.co/guqNa0cT1j
— Obvious Sardar (@luvpreet33) October 11, 2018
Sexy rat. https://t.co/Rp4T2ZDgRd
— Cuchipú (@OhFarfalla) October 11, 2018
sexy deep sea creatures https://t.co/0yOTo93XB5
— Pointless Brickfilm (@P_Brickfilm) October 11, 2018
A few of these costumes would legit be terrifying. “Sexy Catheter Violently Jammed Up My Dickhole?” How would you even make that?
Sexy Catheter Violently Jammed Up My Dickhole https://t.co/fgRdo0hgOW
— Stanley Roper (@StanleyRoper14) October 10, 2018
Sexy my child being abducted.
This game sucks. https://t.co/G0qxtHWPGT
— LeviGibian (@LeviGibian) October 10, 2018
sexy spiders with human cocks https://t.co/lTpDRSyZBt
— I HAVE KILLED AND WILL KILL AGAIN (@dgahk) October 11, 2018
Sexy dying of thirst and flames in global warming apocalyptic fields https://t.co/fDciiQbvhZ
— rabia O'chaudry (@rabiasquared) October 11, 2018
sexy brain eating amoeba https://t.co/zjXYoQoQ47
— Jen (@thejenlife) October 10, 2018
Even Twitter got in on the fun. The official Twitter account announced “Sexy Edit Button,” as its Halloween costume.
Sexy Edit Button https://t.co/UYm9Hc9p7M
— Twitter (@Twitter) October 10, 2018
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.