- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
- TikTok teens use AirPods and Google Translate to secretly talk in class Saturday 4:32 PM
- Video shows corpses of coronavirus victims lying in China hospital Saturday 3:44 PM
- Kid meets Slipknot after drumming video goes viral Saturday 2:30 PM
- Channing Tatum responds to troll who tried to compare Jenna Dewan and Jessie J’s looks Saturday 1:46 PM
- Grindr pulls an ‘I don’t know her’ after Eminem suggests he uses the app Saturday 12:48 PM
- Here are the top 10 most popular Instagram models in 2020 Saturday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’ takes its characters on a fantasy adventure to Hell in season 3 Saturday 11:37 AM
- Woman no longer in sorority, school after racist MLK post Saturday 10:45 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Miss Americana’ starts to deconstruct the myth of Taylor Swift Saturday 10:32 AM
- Teens charged with attempted arson after participating in TikTok ‘outlet challenge’ Saturday 8:56 AM
- ‘American Dirt’ is a metaphor for a white country built on the back of immigrants Saturday 6:00 AM
- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
If you scream into a pot and quickly close its lid, does your scream get locked in until you remove the lid and unleash it to the world? The answer is no, but that hasn’t stopped a bunch of people on Twitter from trying it.
A Snapchat video that went viral on Twitter this week kicked off the trend. It shows a young woman leaning her face into a cooking pot, speedily covering the pot with a lid, and then uncovering it a moment later.
“OMG IF YOU SCREAM INTO A PAN AND COVER IT WHEN YOU UNCOVER IT YOU HEAR IT,” the caption says.
Indeed, a screen can be heard as the pot is uncovered—but whether it’s coming from the pot itself or off camera isn’t so clear (unless you have a basic understanding of how sound works).
EVERYONE TRY IT! pic.twitter.com/pdowcby6jx— Kev (@Kevin_Corona18) January 12, 2018
Luckily, 21-year-old Kevin Corona told the Daily Dot just how his girlfriend’s sister pulled off the trick.
“She actually screamed with her mouth closed and that’s the sound you hear when she opens the lid,” Corona said, adding that she got the idea from The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.
Interestingly, Corona posted his video back in January 2018. For some reason, it didn’t take off until this week, when it racked up more than 128,000 views—and lots of imitations.
oh damn, y’all just gotta be fast fast pic.twitter.com/Cadg3Bu4a3— jess (@jessicubs) April 30, 2019
Even someone’s pet bird tried it out.
I don’t think it worked, my mom just got mad af at my sister for yelling pic.twitter.com/b9J6gy23kd— LAALØØ (@LaaLoo_Tv) May 1, 2019
Even though Corona says the sudden attention to his video has been very “random,” he’s pretty amused by it, as are his girlfriend and her sister.
“I think the whole situation is funny and it’s funny seeing people trying to attempt yelling in a pot, to hear back the scream,” Corona said.
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.