- QAnon-touting congressman sneaks ‘Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself’ into tweets Wednesday 7:12 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez met a famous drag queen–and the right melted down Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Woman says Lyft driver tried to kidnap her Wednesday 5:18 PM
- Debunking the right-wing conspiracy theories from today’s impeachment hearing Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Maroon 5 approves of the latest TikTok trend Wednesday 3:54 PM
- ‘One month left in the decade’ meme wants to know what you’ve accomplished Wednesday 3:53 PM
- Facebook Pay is the latest way to send your friends money Wednesday 3:31 PM
- Diving into ‘The Mandalorian’s first big shocker Wednesday 3:17 PM
- Disney+ will allow password sharing—to an extent Wednesday 1:12 PM
- Black server says manager refused to discipline coworkers who sent racist receipt Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Who is Jonah Hauer-King, Disney’s new Prince Eric? Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Cut Katherine Langford ‘Avengers: Endgame’ scene lands on Disney+ Wednesday 12:22 PM
- Planned Parenthood app to show abortion-seeking users their nearest options Wednesday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Imagineering Story’ offers touching insight into Walt Disney’s vision Wednesday 11:57 AM
- YouTube mom who was charged with child abuse dead at 48 Wednesday 11:39 AM
Stefan Karl Stefánsson, the actor behind legendary kids’ show villain (and meme) Robbie Rotten, is currently dealing with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and may not have much longer to live. Heartbroken fans, especially those on Reddit, where Stefan Karl’s LazyTown baddie is especially beloved, have raised thousands of dollars for his family and his medical bills. Now, they’re working to immortalize him with a statue in his hometown of Hafnarfjörður, Iceland.
A Change.org petition, started by redditor and longtime LazyTown fan Adem A., pleads “Please help get this man something as simple as a statue in his hometown to honour him. Please help this go down in history.” (“Going down in history” is, of course, a reference to Robbie Rotten’s signature song “We Are Number One.”)
More than 65,000 fans and counting have answered the call, asking Iceland’s president and prime minister to memorialize Stefan Karl in statue form. The petition also reached the front page of Reddit.
It could happen! He’s one of Iceland’s most famous actors, and has even been called “the Icelandic Jim Carrey”—which makes sense, because he and Carrey have both played Dr. Seuss’s Grinch (Carrey on screen, Stefan Karl in the touring stage production).
It’s not clear what the proposed statue would look like—would it be Stefan Karl as villain #1 Robbie Rotten, or as himself?—who would design it, where it would be placed, or how much it would cost, but the fans’ hearts are in the right place. And they’re also still donating to his GoFundMe page for medical expenses, which has raised more than $150,000.
Meanwhile, Stefan Karl has been released from the hospital for the time being and celebrated his 42nd birthday by taking a helicopter ride with his family in Iceland, according to his Facebook page.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.