- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
- TikTok’s ‘clean queen’ says videos are helping her figure out ‘adulting’ Thursday 4:12 PM
- Clearview clients include ICE, Macy’s, Best Buy, leaked data reveals Thursday 4:08 PM
- Women are clamoring to get their photos on a Twitter feed of ‘hot mugshots’ Thursday 4:06 PM
- ‘Love Is Blind’ finale: Somehow, real love emerged from this dystopian setting Thursday 3:57 PM
- Creator of ‘Say So’ TikTok dance appears in Doja Cat music video Thursday 3:51 PM
- Is TikTok’s algorithm actually pretty racist? Thursday 3:45 PM
- Fans freaking out over ‘Say My Name’ horror remix featured in Jordan Peele’s ‘Candyman’ Thursday 3:33 PM
- CDC graphic warns most facial hair isn’t compatible with coronavirus protection measures Thursday 1:31 PM
- Tutoring website refuses to take down ad sexualizing Asian women Thursday 1:24 PM
- MSNBC pundit loses air time after saying Sanders staffers are ‘island of misfit Black girls’ Thursday 12:36 PM
- Court says YouTube isn’t subject to First Amendment scrutiny Thursday 11:06 AM
This man would apparently rather lose his girlfriend than wash his hands after he pees
Once again, break up with him!
Thanks to Twitter, we already know the dedication some people have to not washing bits of themselves. Now Reddit Relationships, that den of terrible men and the women who are for some reason determined to love them, has brought us a new addition to the hall of shame.
A doctor—yes you read that right, he’s a doctor—who not only refuses to wash his hands after using the bathroom but who would rather break up with his partner than start doing it. Apparently, he believes his “hygiene is immaculate,” that he’s a clean person,” and giving up his repulsive habit would be “changing his autonomy,” so he’d rather be single than give in. The poor woman tried to accept partial responsibility for the conflict, saying “it takes two to tango,” but girl, no. He loves being covered in urine more than you—run for the hills.
The Reddit post, inexplicably, had quite a few people trying to defend his point of view.
“I dont get most people here,” one user wrote. “I use soap under the shower and if I have to cook, except for those moments I never use soap. The idea that its filthy is ridiculous, everyone who is saying that its filthy not to use soap, do you use gloves to open Doors? Do you wash after opening Doors? Because thats almost just as filthy.”
“So you basically laid down an ultimatum, hidden as a ‘hypothetical,’ and now are upset that he didn’t bite,” another user said. “Using these types of ultimatums is super immature honestly.”
Fortunately, everyone else on the thread was rightfully horrified, by him and by his grody defenders.
“I cannot believe there are whole adult human men on this thread trying to defend not properly washing your hands after peeing,” said one user. “Also to the OP, your boyfriend is the reason why hospitals get MRSA outbreaks.”
“He is dating you, a young woman 11 years his junior, because he thinks you’ll put up with his shit,” another user said. “Now that you’re not, he’s reacting badly. Guy’s a joke.”
Though not all age gap relationships are like this, quite a few older men choose to date much younger women so they can control them or steamroller their boundaries. Given this man’s bizarre hill to die on, it seems like he might be one of them, and a fair number of people seem to agree.
33 year old men date 23 year old women so they don’t have to change.— Corey Reppond (@reppocs) June 27, 2019
Fortunately, the disgusted have outnumbered the defenders, especially now the post has jumped to Twitter where the plague doctor is being ripped to shreds.
Lmao “personal autonomy”. This man is fully garbage. And yikes to him being a doctor.— Brooke LaFlamme (@Brooke_LaFlamme) June 27, 2019
Do medical schools, hospitals, public health agencies, and the CDC no longer teach that washing your hands is the first line of defense against the spread of disease. pic.twitter.com/VhNqOJfMPb— Bruinlover- follower of Nakia (@bruinlover09) June 27, 2019
The bar doesn't exist and yet somehow.......men are still beneath it— Kuma (@GrizzlyNoaB) June 27, 2019
Some people have very legitimate concerns, not just about this man’s patients but the state of healthcare in general.
This is the second or third doctor I've seen on here that won't wash their hands properly or at all in the restroom. Is this the real reason MRSA is such a problem in hospitals? Do they really need to add a med course about hand-washing?— Khaleesi of the Damned (@desroix) June 27, 2019
We need to know the name of this pee covered doctor for the public good— Erica Henderson (@EricaFails) June 27, 2019
That was my reaction too!! That made the whole post read differently.— Kylo Ren-Faire (@adamgreeney) June 27, 2019
Also i want to know where they live to make sure that's not my doctor.
Doctors are AWFUL with hand washing/hygiene and they never get in trouble for it. I see it all the time working in dialysis. 🤦🏽♀️— Kassandra Leigh (@shessoloveleigh) June 28, 2019
There were some truly inspired solutions.
Pee on his stuff to assert dominance— Zac (@AgeOfZac) June 27, 2019
And the very legitimate suggestion that he be reported to the licensing board.
Report him to a medical licensing board— jendziura (@jendziura) June 28, 2019
First of all, it shouldn't take him a second longer to use soap it should take him 20 seconds longer 2) I hope you haven't let his hands near any orifices 3) Name and shame b/c I don't want a doctor that does this.— Fork This Shirt (@ihmbookworm) June 28, 2019
The chorus of “break up with him!” was, as always, deeply satisfying.
Break up with him, get both yours and his social circles to refer to him exclusively as "Piss-hands"— TrashTransKitty (@Djinnkitty) June 28, 2019
If you're dating a 33-year-old man whose "personal autonomy" is threatened at the thought of using soap, please take my word for it that you need to break up with him.— Sarah (@Sarah31546905) June 27, 2019
Not "wash your hands of him"?— Holger Andersson (@Cithoge) June 28, 2019
Wash your damn hands. It’s not that hard. Especially if you’re a doctor!
“my boyfriend doesn’t wash his hands, oh he’s also a doctor” is the buried lead of the century— Josh McLean (@RadioMcLean) June 27, 2019
Siobhan Ball is a historian, archivist, and journalist. She also writes for Autostraddle and bi.org