- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
Twitter user xan, who uses they/them pronouns, is a long-time Rami Malek fan. But little did they know that on Monday night, their life was about to become intertwined with Malek’s after the two passed each other in New York.
Xan eventually reached out to Malek and turned on their camera’s video mode, asking if he could “say hi to my friends.” Malek quickly interrupted, shaking his head and saying, “no, but we can take a picture.”
Of course, the whole entire conversation was recorded on xan’s phone. Afterward, xan says Malek “literally swiped my camera” and changed it to photo mode, just to make sure the two would get a picture and not a video.
“Nah I’m done with video messages,” xan concluded.
so rami malek walked past me.....how do i describe this flex....— xan⚡️ (@enemyfiIm) October 29, 2018
THIS IS PROBABLY THE MOST EMBARRASSING THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO ME pic.twitter.com/qIesyA3eWQ— xan⚡️ (@enemyfiIm) October 30, 2018
homeboy literally swiped my camera to Photo HIMSELF cause he saw it was a video nah im done with video messages pic.twitter.com/JbQ4K8X8KF— xan⚡️ (@enemyfiIm) October 30, 2018
i worded this wrong he didnt take a photo OF HIMSELF- i meant he swiped the camera options until it was on “Photo” (i really hope that made sense) https://t.co/NVeTu5N9Nh— xan⚡️ (@enemyfiIm) October 30, 2018
Xan’s story is just the perfect viral cocktail: An adoring fan meets Malek, walks up to him, gets shot down for a video, and the actor then proceeds to take their phone away from them to change the camera mode. As you can imagine, Twitter is going nuts with the whole premise.
rami seeing the phone is on video mode and not photo mode: pic.twitter.com/1xVZ693AIv— kris ♡ (@nycstarks) October 30, 2018
rami malek when he sees a fan is recording a video pic.twitter.com/Abcc2qDoIG— damaris (@elioperlsman) October 30, 2018
Fan: h-— ✨ (@wiiissssss) October 30, 2018
Rami Malek: pic.twitter.com/Nxcx5Txd8c
Everytime Rami Malek sees a fan recording him: pic.twitter.com/6GGmNsEYLU— Haaris (@HK_Sweeney) October 30, 2018
call me by your name (2017) pic.twitter.com/rzzSeN0EIT— zineb (@ladybirdmp3) October 30, 2018
rami @ a fan's phonepic.twitter.com/Ut2a1lrPMM— rals (@rvstyryan) October 30, 2018
sufjan stevens: is it a video— laney (@susipiria) October 30, 2018
rami malek: no but we can take a picture
person on a plane: [having a heart attack]— richard ayoade love bot (@lizyeol) October 30, 2018
flight attendant: are there any doctors onboard?
rami malek: no but we can take a picture
okay but the fan that asked Rami Malek for a video is braver than the Marines because I would have wanted the floor to swallow me when he said “No.” pic.twitter.com/z5OILzZV0x— carol îmwe (@carxlinv) October 30, 2018
Even xan is sharing some of the memes.
“if you fuckin put your hands on me again i will fucking rip your face off bitch” pic.twitter.com/pLLutAnGcO— xan⚡️ (@enemyfiIm) October 30, 2018
I FELL OVER JFNJDXKS https://t.co/wig3Z0iuH1— xan⚡️ (@enemyfiIm) October 30, 2018
NOOOOOFJFKSKDLD https://t.co/LKLIfFsD4l— xan⚡️ (@enemyfiIm) October 30, 2018
goodnight pic.twitter.com/OZ8KXgcTIt— xan⚡️ (@enemyfiIm) October 30, 2018
Others compared Malek to actor Jake Gyllenhaal, who has absolutely zero chill when it comes to meeting fans.
rami malek and jake gyllenhaal whenever a fan breathes in their direction pic.twitter.com/AwmHwaogLs— al*xis (@dianeselwyns) October 30, 2018
rami malek and jake gyllenhaal fighting to see who treats their fans the worst pic.twitter.com/e9Km7hrTxt— yes i still like rami n jake leave my mentions (@giaonfilm) October 30, 2018
jake gyllenhaal and rami malek teaming up to bully their fans pic.twitter.com/UAtYH3aChM— bran (@joeygIevitt) October 30, 2018
jake gyllenhaal rami malek and ian somerhalder ignoring their fans on a daily basis pic.twitter.com/xbgH3kyTh0— ً (@ammacreIlin) October 30, 2018
As for xan, it’s safe to say their notifications are swamped with Malek-inspired posts. Their follower account has since ballooned to 2,220 Twitter users.
“My follower count was 400 this morning.. did I make a career?” they tweeted. Probably not, but they can take a picture.
my follower count was 400 this morning.. did i make a career?— xan⚡️ (@enemyfiIm) October 30, 2018
Ana Valens is a reporter specializing in online queer communities, marginalized identities, and adult content creation. She is Daily Dot's Trans/Sex columnist. Her work has appeared at Vice, Vox, Truthout, Bitch Media, Kill Screen, Rolling Stone, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York, and spends her free time developing queer adult games.