- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides 5 Years Ago
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Today 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Today 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Today 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Today 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Today 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Today 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Today 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Today 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Today 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Today 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Today 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Today 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Today 8:43 AM
- London’s real-time facial recognition program a ‘breathtaking assault’ on civil rights Today 8:23 AM
Dude’s promposal completely backfires in front of entire school
It’s called the “promposal”—asking someone to prom by way of a grand, sweeping gesture designed to knock your beloved off his or her feet (and maybe secure yourself 15 seconds of viral fame). They are precious, adorable, and are sure to be remembered by the participants for many years to come.
But at least one anonymous teen’s promposal didn’t go according to plan and will thereby live in infamy for totally different reasons. It’s all captured in this video, taken during a lull in a high school football game:
— Sully (@SullyFootball) June 1, 2015
We see a young man and young woman standing on the field, surrounded by staff and audience. “Is there any way you’d wanna come to prom with me?” our suitor says into a microphone, funneling his voice to everyone within earshot of the stadium. The crowd cheers as the young lady approaches to give him her answer.
“I already have a date,” she says, a hint of laughter bleeding through.
The crowd sounds turn from “awww” to “ohhhhh!” Shaken by the reply but holding fast, the young man asks her to clarify what she means.
“What?” he says. “I’m sorry,” she replies.
Dylan Love is an editorial consultant and journalist whose reporting interests include emergent technology, digital media, and Russian language and culture. He is a former staff writer for the Daily Dot, and his work has been published by Business Insider, International Business Times, Men's Journal, and the Next Web.