- Amanda Palmer dragged for ‘demanding’ coverage of her music Thursday 8:33 PM
- How to get free TikTok followers without downloading a virus Thursday 7:57 PM
- Trump Jr.s ‘Triggered’ topped best-seller’s list with help of RNC Thursday 7:41 PM
- FBI raided millionaire YouTuber’s home, allegedly took everything Thursday 6:55 PM
- A fake Labour party website is spreading disinformation in Britain Thursday 6:16 PM
- Twitter bans cricket club for posting ISIS content in apparent hack Thursday 6:12 PM
- This dad remade his daughter’s NSFW photo—and people are loving it Thursday 5:51 PM
- Teen allegedly posted ‘slave for sale’ Craigslist ad featuring his Black classmate Thursday 5:28 PM
- People are crushed that this teen love story might be a TikTok ‘joke’ Thursday 4:50 PM
- Is Jacob Wohl evading his Twitter ban with Jack Burkman’s account? Thursday 2:06 PM
- Biden’s most perplexing debate answers, explained Thursday 2:03 PM
- How to stream Colts vs. Texans on Thursday Night Football Thursday 12:52 PM
- Netflix drops ‘A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby’ trailer Thursday 12:43 PM
- Uber says it will audio-record rides to address safety concerns Thursday 12:41 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ writers go in-depth on how they decided which superheroes lived and died Thursday 12:22 PM
#PopeBars and the holy lyrics that inspired the breakout Pope Francis meme
Bars for days.
Armed with the perfectly positioned meme, the Internet decided to write bars for the pope creating the funniest and holiest raps in history. In line with the adage, “immature poets imitate, mature poets steal,” Twitter users picked lines from their favorite rap songs and blessed them with holy water.
Here is a list of the best #PopeBars tweets and the musical geniuses that influenced them:
Bow down for @FeministaJones’ exquisite use of Notorious B.I.G’s “Big Poppa.”
Here @ClintSmith masterfully samples Biggie Small’s “Juicy.”
@DamonStCloud throws back to the late Tupac’s banger “Hit Em Up.”
@HeadcACE seizes an opportunity to channel Rick Ross’s aptly titled “Holy Ghost.”
Clearly @peraisakop had a moment of brilliance when he decided to steal from Jay Z’s “Moment of Clarity.”
And @TheCatWhisprer drop bars for all the Black Album fans with a reimagined “99 Problems.”
For @Flatbammy, Yeezy Season came early with his ode to Kanye West’s “Last Call.”
Much respect goes to @JamesLedwaba_ for shouting out Drake’s breakout diss record “Back To Back.”
And of course who could forget Drizzy’s “Forever.”
Stay tuned for the pope’s mixtape folks. If #PopeBars is any indication, it’s going to be #lit.
Illustration by Max Fleishman
Ziwe Fumudoh is a writer and comedian. Her work has appeared in the Onion and Reductress, and she is a co-host at Crooked Media.