- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Friday 11:39 AM
- ‘Swamp Thing’ gets off to a promising start, but can it tell a convincing love story? Friday 11:34 AM
- ‘Falling on deaf ears’: ‘Queer Eye’ star sparks conversation about ableist idioms Friday 11:15 AM
- Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous Friday 10:43 AM
- In season 2 of ‘She’s Gotta Have It,’ Spike Lee remains unapologetically himself Friday 10:36 AM
- Trump selling Pride shirts is a grotesque insult to the LGBTQ community Friday 10:27 AM
- Logan Paul is being mocked for pulling out of slapping competition Friday 9:57 AM
Police arrest thief who went viral because he looks like Ross from ‘Friends’
The thief who went viral for his uncanny resemblance to actor David Schwimmer, who played Ross Geller on Friends, has been arrested. In September, an unidentified man stole a jacket, wallet, and phone from a Mr. Basrai’s World Cuisines restaurant in Blackpool. Police released a CCTV camera photo showing the man walking in a shop and buying a large amount of beer, which is when people pointed out he looked exactly like the actor.
Police in Lancashire, England shared news of the arrest on Twitter and gave a special shout-out to Schwimmer.
“Following the appeal, we posted looking for a man who resembles a well-known actor, we now have an update. Thanks to our colleagues [at Metropolitan Police], a 36-year-old man was arrested in Southall last night on suspicion of theft. Thank you for the support, especially David Schwimmer!” Lancashire Police tweeted.
Following the appeal we posted looking for a man who resembles a well-known actor, we now have an update. Thanks to our colleagues @MetPoliceUK, a 36-year-old man was arrested in Southall last night on suspicion of theft. Thank you for the support, especially @DavidSchwimmer! pic.twitter.com/nOgF1KQb0X
— LancsPolice (@LancsPolice) November 13, 2018
Shortly after the case went viral last month, Schwimmer took to Twitter for the first time to assure the world he was innocent. “Officers, I swear it wasn’t me. As you can see, I was in New York,” he wrote. “To the hardworking Blackpool Police, good luck with the investigation.#itwasntme.”
— schwim (@DavidSchwimmer) October 24, 2018
If you think the fact that this case has been put to rest means the jokes have stopped, think again. People on Twitter responded with a slew of Ross GIFs and Friends jokes.
— CherrySwirlGirl (@cherryswirlgirl) November 13, 2018
One person said the whole mix up could be the plot of a Friends reboot. “Ross was on his 15th divorce, ended up broke & developed a drinking/stealing problem & landed behind bars. This ‘Friends’ reboot practically writes itself,” they wrote.
Ross was on his 15th divorce, ended up broke & developed a drinking/stealing problem & landed behind bars. This Friends reboot practically writes itself.
— Erica (@ErockaMar) November 13, 2018
That’s fantastic! pic.twitter.com/bdX5s9kT0M
— Jodie (@cbjfan04) November 13, 2018
— Sam Ramm (@SamRamm) November 13, 2018
Someone else pointed out that people mixing up the thief with 52-year-old Schwimmer meant he was passing for 36: “In other news, David Schwimmer passes for 36 years old! Good job aging sir! No, but really, you actually are looking really good.”
In other news, @DavidSchwimmer passes for 36 years old! Good job aging sir! No but really, you actually are looking really good. 👀😍
— Stephanie Bogart (@StephBogart) November 13, 2018
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.