- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
The thief who went viral for his uncanny resemblance to actor David Schwimmer, who played Ross Geller on Friends, has been arrested. In September, an unidentified man stole a jacket, wallet, and phone from a Mr. Basrai’s World Cuisines restaurant in Blackpool. Police released a CCTV camera photo showing the man walking in a shop and buying a large amount of beer, which is when people pointed out he looked exactly like the actor.
Police in Lancashire, England shared news of the arrest on Twitter and gave a special shout-out to Schwimmer.
“Following the appeal, we posted looking for a man who resembles a well-known actor, we now have an update. Thanks to our colleagues [at Metropolitan Police], a 36-year-old man was arrested in Southall last night on suspicion of theft. Thank you for the support, especially David Schwimmer!” Lancashire Police tweeted.
Following the appeal we posted looking for a man who resembles a well-known actor, we now have an update. Thanks to our colleagues @MetPoliceUK, a 36-year-old man was arrested in Southall last night on suspicion of theft. Thank you for the support, especially @DavidSchwimmer! pic.twitter.com/nOgF1KQb0X— LancsPolice (@LancsPolice) November 13, 2018
Shortly after the case went viral last month, Schwimmer took to Twitter for the first time to assure the world he was innocent. “Officers, I swear it wasn’t me. As you can see, I was in New York,” he wrote. “To the hardworking Blackpool Police, good luck with the investigation.#itwasntme.”
If you think the fact that this case has been put to rest means the jokes have stopped, think again. People on Twitter responded with a slew of Ross GIFs and Friends jokes.
One person said the whole mix up could be the plot of a Friends reboot. “Ross was on his 15th divorce, ended up broke & developed a drinking/stealing problem & landed behind bars. This ‘Friends’ reboot practically writes itself,” they wrote.
Ross was on his 15th divorce, ended up broke & developed a drinking/stealing problem & landed behind bars. This Friends reboot practically writes itself.— Erica (@ErockaMar) November 13, 2018
That’s fantastic! pic.twitter.com/bdX5s9kT0M— Jodie (@cbjfan04) November 13, 2018
Someone else pointed out that people mixing up the thief with 52-year-old Schwimmer meant he was passing for 36: “In other news, David Schwimmer passes for 36 years old! Good job aging sir! No, but really, you actually are looking really good.”
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.