- How to watch Demetrius Andrade vs. Artur Akavov for free 1 Year Ago
- Ariana Grande’s new single ‘7 Rings’ has Twitter feeling broke Today 6:30 AM
- The end of an era: RIP, Critique My Dick Pic Today 6:30 AM
- Mastodon is crumbling—and many blame its creator Today 6:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ hints at Spock’s new role in the season 2 premiere Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Rachel Maddow’ online for free Today 5:30 AM
- Guy who wants to fund the border wall has privately raised $7 million Thursday 8:41 PM
- Mortal Kombat 11 trailer delights fans with gory fatalities, new characters Thursday 5:46 PM
- What you need to know about the data breach involving 773 email addresses Thursday 5:13 PM
- Senators fear government shutdown may affect FTC investigation of Facebook Thursday 3:43 PM
- Buy beer for a furloughed government worker with this new website Thursday 3:19 PM
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is teaching Congress how to tweet Thursday 2:42 PM
- Congressmen held genetics meeting with Chuck Johnson, despite his past racist claims about genetics Thursday 2:26 PM
- Female bodyguard thriller ‘Close’ is disappointingly un-thrilling Thursday 2:01 PM
- Twitter faces backlash for insensitive ‘triggers’ joke Thursday 1:13 PM
William Carlos Williams’ famous ‘plums’ poem is now Twitter’s favorite meme
Photo via Medvedeva Oxana/Shutterstock (Licensed)
We needed this truly earnest meme.
William Carlos Williams’ famous poem about eating someone else’s plums, This Is Just To Say, became a popular meme in the last year. People replaced the word plums with other nouns, such as Doritos, Soylent Bars, and Xanax. Now, people are inserting the lines of This Is Just To Say into song lyrics. It’s a meme that evolved from another meme!
How about some plums with a little bit of Mambo Number 5 on the side?
a little bit of cold plums in my life
a little bit of icebox by my side
a little bit of breakfast is what you need
a little bit of forgiveness, what I seek
a little bit of delicious, thats those plums
a little bit of sweet plums all night long
a little bit of cold plums here I am
— thom (@thwphipps) November 28, 2017
Weezer’s Say It Ain’t So already features the word ‘icebox,’ so the song was a perfect fit for this meme.
somebody's sweet plums
are crowding my icebox
somebody's cold plums
are giving me chills
— merritt k (@merrittk) November 27, 2017
The version of Backstreet Boys’ I Want It That Way sounds like a great karaoke song.
Plums are my fire
The sweet desire
This is just to say
I want it that way
Tell me why
You left them in the ice box
Tell me why
Like a henhouse and I’m the fox
Tell me why
I ate them anyway
Because I want it that way
— Meghan McCarron (@megmccarron) November 29, 2017
This one is pretty Smooth.
Man, it's a cold one
Like seven inches from the icebox plums
— K Schroeds (@kbschroedy) November 28, 2017
How about some Vanilla Ice plums?
Yo, forgive me, let’s kick it!
Ice box baby
Ice box baby
All right stop
Collaborate I have eaten
All the plums that had been in the ice box
They were so cold, sweet, and delicious
You were probably saving them for breakfast
— Jenny Jaffe (@jennyjaffe) November 28, 2017
Plums work with Carly Rae Jepsen.
HEY i just met you
and this is CRAzy
but the plums in the icebox
i ate them maybe
— Your Trusted Wizard (@Choplogik) November 28, 2017
And Alanis Morissette.
and i'm here
to remind you
of the mess you made when you ate my plums
its not fair
to deny me
of the plums i put in the icebox for breakfast
— thom (@thwphipps) November 29, 2017
Hey, someone even threw The Beatles a bone!
Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these breakfast plums and learn to eat
All your life
You were only waiting for a meal this cold and sweet
— Sean T. Collins (@theseantcollins) November 29, 2017
And some people are referencing the meme in the meme.
This is Just to Say
which you have
— Jeremy Noel-Tod (@jntod) November 29, 2017
William Carlos Williams would be proud. We think.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.