- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Today 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
- ‘The Dirt’ offers a sanitized history of Mötley Crüe—but why? Friday 11:42 AM
- ‘The Dirt’ director Jeff Tremaine on Mötley Crüe’s long, difficult road to Netflix Friday 11:30 AM
- Here’s video of yet another alleged gunman looking for YouTuber Adam22 Friday 11:09 AM
- 12 mugs that are absolutely purr-fect for cat enthusiasts Friday 10:58 AM
- Jared Kushner used WhatsApp for official White House business Friday 10:50 AM
- Unsettled Tom memes are on the rise Friday 10:36 AM
- Trans student nominated for prom king told by administration to run for queen Friday 10:07 AM
- Trump turns on his favorite cable news network Friday 8:56 AM
People are loving this guy in a plaid shirt who made faces during a Trump rally
Plaid shirt guy is the internet’s new hero.
Twitter seems to have fallen in love with a man in a plaid shirt who sat behind Donald Trump at Thursday’s rally in Billings, Montana. It was clear from the man’s facial expressions that he was not a big fan of what the president had to say, and eventually, he was asked to move.
That girl was with a guy who was removed earlier. I watched this live on my phone and took about 150 screenshots of his facial expressions. Made a collage. pic.twitter.com/9ZWFwOgLKU
— Justin (@JustinBlevans) September 7, 2018
Check out his confused reaction when Trump says winning the Electoral College is harder than winning the popular vote.
This guy rules pic.twitter.com/TgP1sHycVC
— Inter Miami Fan Acct (@Squanch_Me) September 7, 2018
After Trump says “We’ve picked up a lot of support,” he seems to be mouthing “Have you?” or possibly even “Fuck you.” It’s hard to say for sure.
this was one of my favorites ‘we’ve picked up a lot of support’ plaid shirt guy ‘HAVE YOU!??’ pic.twitter.com/omM7i8zwPh
— Katie Moeser (@IamKatieMoe) September 7, 2018
But plaid shirt guy wasn’t the only one getting removed from the shot. A man and woman standing next to him were asked to leave shortly afterward and were replaced by two blonde women.
When you realize halfway through a Trump rally that the people in the bleachers need to be peppier and blonder. pic.twitter.com/NytEn23a9g
— Susan Simpson (@TheViewFromLL2) September 7, 2018
Here’s the woman reacting to Trump calling out the “Fake News”, before being asked to leave.
The internet seems to find the unidentified plaid shirt man hilarious, and he’s been turned him into something of a hero.
The AHA moment and today's hero. https://t.co/EdiWutMUum
— reMirth (@reMirth) September 7, 2018
Not all heroes wear capes.
— Lydia Ianni (@Ianni02) September 7, 2018
That kid cracked me up. I normally would never watch a Rump Rally but that kid caught my eye with his antics! I want to know who he is so we can start a gofundme to get him out of Montana 😄
— Just Another D8 (@justanotherd8) September 7, 2018
NEW RESISTANCE HERO!
PLAID SHIRT GUY!
— Cleo LaPeter (@Cleo_LaPeter) September 7, 2018
Standing up like in Spartacus:
“I am plaid man.”
— Zach Braff (@zachbraff) September 7, 2018
Trump’s staff seems to know how to deal with protesters at this point. On August 30, a volunteer staffer faced criticism for a widely circulated photo showing him blocking a reporters camera during a rally in Evansville, Indiana.
Also, as long as we’re analyzing the audience, can we take a second to talk about “Whipping her nose with the flag” girl? It’s almost certainly a little hot and stuffy at these things, but if you’re going to sit where cameras can see you, it’s probably a good idea to keep in mind that the world is watching.
— Holly Figueroa O'Reilly (@AynRandPaulRyan) September 7, 2018
According to one source, this was Donald Trump’s 520th rally, and with midterm elections coming up, he probably won’t be slowing down anytime soon. The President may be hitting the same talking points over and over again, but it seems like we can at least count on the audience to keep us entertained.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.