- Mike Huckabee’s defense of Trump’s coronavirus response will make you nauseous 3 Weeks Ago
- Gmail’s email filtering may affect what candidate emails you are seeing Today 11:08 AM
- Woman shares aftermath of domestic abuse: ‘This is only to raise awareness’ Today 10:40 AM
- Skai Jackson gets restraining order against Bhad Bhabie after death threat Today 10:19 AM
- Taylor Swift shades Scooter Braun in ‘The Man’ video Today 10:15 AM
- Porn stars are lining up behind Bernie Sanders Today 10:10 AM
- YouTube mom says she ‘beat’ her 2-year-old daughter for ruining her makeup kit Today 10:02 AM
- Ajit Pai’s net neutrality victory lap comes as his own repeal is under review Today 9:20 AM
- Alissa Violet is in Italy—and fans are worried she’ll get coronavirus Today 9:19 AM
- Bernie or Barry? Garth Brooks’ Sanders jersey sparks online panic Today 8:42 AM
- Netflix series ‘Followers’ is a visual treat—but lacks a clear narrative Today 6:00 AM
- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
In the roughly four-minute sketch, Davidson reprises his role as Chad, a lovable idiot who’s basically down for everything. In this bit, RuPaul—playing himself—is posing for a magazine cover, but laments that drag needs a new star.
RuPaul is entranced by Davidson’s character whom he calls “the future of drag.”
Turning to Chad, RuPaul says, “There’s something dynamic about you, boy! Have you ever done drag?”
“Nah, just weed and pills,” Chad says, with a blank expression. That’s when the makeover begins.
Presenting...— Saturday Night Live - SNL (@nbcsnl) February 9, 2020
👑 The Qᴜᴇᴇɴ Timelapse 👑 pic.twitter.com/95Dtk07BIP
RuPaul teaches Chad the art of “the tuck” (i.e. taping down his junk) and “the look” (i.e. putting on a dress with silicone breasts.) Unsurprisingly, Davidson’s character has trouble mastering both. He tapes his penis to his stomach with duct tape and cannot stop playing with his fake boobs.
Eventually, Chad gets the full look. But he walks away—very awkwardly in heels—because donning drag turns out to be too much work for him.
“Look, I can mold you into the next RuPaul. And if you want to be the best, you’ve got to be willing to work your padded ass off,” RuPaul says. “So I’ll ask you one more time, Chad: Do you want to be the greatest drag queen in the world?”
“No,” Chad says with a slight shrug.
Of course, Davidson’s transformation launched a number of memes on Twitter.
“We need to talk about Pete Davidson in drag,” one user wrote.
we need to talk about pete davidson in drag pic.twitter.com/o5nyHU1tJR— Metaphysical Cockroach (@nahtanoJcimsoC) February 9, 2020
Ru Paul and SNL: let’s make Pete do the drag segment— Sarinebeane (@sarinamichelleb) February 9, 2020
Pete Davidson figuring out how he’s going to tuck all that trunk: pic.twitter.com/GcNedB0lFc
Another used a meme of Baby Yoda to convey their reaction to the skit.
“I’m…….. PETE DAVIDSON IN DRAG ON SNL BY THE HANDS OF RUPAUL HERSELF,” Twitter user @CelineRivera122 wrote.
I’m........ PETE DAVIDSON IN DRAG ON SNL BY THE HANDS OF RUPAUL HERSELF pic.twitter.com/f6DabWbP9v— celine⁷ (@CelineRivera122) February 9, 2020
Others likened Pete Davidson in drag to Camila Cabello.
- White men are raging over ‘SNL’s’ white male rage skit
- Larry David doesn’t want Bernie Sanders to win—because he doesn’t want to have to work
- Pete Davidson hinted at a return to rehab on ‘SNL’—and fans erupted in support
Alexandra Samuels is a political reporter at the Texas Tribune and contributor to the Daily Dot, where she started as an intern covering politics in the summer of 2016. She enjoys Marvel movies, baking, and reading murder-mystery novels.