- Tom Steyer calls for reparations Tuesday 9:05 PM
- Etika mural added as official PokéStop in Pokémon Go Tuesday 8:35 PM
- Debate devolves into candidates shouting ‘math’ at each other Tuesday 8:19 PM
- Bloomberg rolls his eyes when challenged over sexist comments Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Bloomberg almost accidentally claims he ‘bought’ Congress Tuesday 8:03 PM
- ‘Dick Pound’ and ‘Bisexual Men Exist’ trend together–Twitter goes wild Tuesday 7:54 PM
- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
If you didn’t know about “Old Town Road” last week, you probably do now.
Lil Nas X’s genre-bending hit song debuted in December and quickly went viral thanks to TikTok‘s “Yee Yee Juice” challenge. In March, the track landed on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart and the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, perfectly illustrating its crossover appeal. But Billboard removed it from the country chart, citing that “Old Town Road” didn’t “embrace enough elements of today’s country music to chart in its current version.”
A loaded statement, to be sure. But late last week, the 20-year-old debuted a remix of the song, featuring a new verse from Billy Ray Cyrus, and it quickly shot to No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. It’s captured our imagination online, too: “Old Town Road” memes and reactions rose in tandem with his Billboard ascent, even before the remix. And Lil Nas X has intimate knowledge of how the meme cycle works.
i was literally promoting old town road via twitter memes with -$5.62 in my wells fargo account 2 months ago wow. i sit here in shock about this shit everyday.— nope (@LilNasX) April 3, 2019
Here are some of the best Old Town Road memes.
The best Old Town Road memes
People dancing to ‘Old Town Road’ in video clips
Naturally, a lot of the best “Old Town Road” memes use the song with a video clip of people dancing.
someone get this clip away from me pic.twitter.com/2qMbG5XUb6— Caleb (@thecalebchin) April 5, 2019
*Listens to Lil Nas X & Billy Ray Cyrus Old Town Road Remix once* pic.twitter.com/dXW63X3c3w— Matthew A. Cherry (@MatthewACherry) April 5, 2019
i won't apologize for knowing that this would work pic.twitter.com/wPMbThlkmm— Mike Camerlengo (@MCamerlengo) April 10, 2019
‘I’m gonna take my horse to the hotel room’ misheard lyric
There’s also a curious subset of people who thought the lyric was “I’m gonna take my horse to the hotel room”—even though that makes no sense. Or does it?
Did the Old Town Road meme peak when Stephen A. Smith jumped on it?
YOOOOOOOO https://t.co/aMHFPtbF0F— nope (@LilNasX) April 6, 2019
Possibly, but we’re still finding ways to incorporate it into our everyday lives—and historic space discoveries.
*listens to old town road once* pic.twitter.com/cZpa7xrgUu— Caitlin Kelly (@caitlin__kelly) April 10, 2019
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.