- The atonement of an alt-right troll 1 Month Ago
- #StopTheBans protests draw thousands across the country in support of abortion rights 1 Month Ago
- North Korea is using Trump’s low IQ attack on Joe Biden 1 Month Ago
- How to watch ‘Kidding’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- What’s the deal with Bran Stark at the end of ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch TruTV online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
From TikTok to meme to Billboard hit, the ‘Old Town Road’ cycle has been quite a ride.
If you didn’t know about “Old Town Road” last week, you probably do now.
Lil Nas X’s genre-bending hit song debuted in December and quickly went viral thanks to TikTok‘s “Yee Yee Juice” challenge. In March, the track landed on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart and the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, perfectly illustrating its crossover appeal. But Billboard removed it from the country chart, citing that “Old Town Road” didn’t “embrace enough elements of today’s country music to chart in its current version.”
A loaded statement, to be sure. But late last week, the 20-year-old debuted a remix of the song, featuring a new verse from Billy Ray Cyrus, and it quickly shot to No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. It’s captured our imagination online, too: “Old Town Road” memes and reactions rose in tandem with his Billboard ascent, even before the remix. And Lil Nas X has intimate knowledge of how the meme cycle works.
i was literally promoting old town road via twitter memes with -$5.62 in my wells fargo account 2 months ago wow. i sit here in shock about this shit everyday.
— nope (@LilNasX) April 3, 2019
Here are some of the best Old Town Road memes.
The best Old Town Road memes
— Katie Notopoulos (@katienotopoulos) April 7, 2019
People dancing to ‘Old Town Road’ in video clips
Naturally, a lot of the best “Old Town Road” memes use the song with a video clip of people dancing.
someone get this clip away from me pic.twitter.com/2qMbG5XUb6
— Caleb (@thecalebchin) April 5, 2019
— Lights, Camera, Pod (@LightsCameraPod) April 5, 2019
*Listens to Lil Nas X & Billy Ray Cyrus Old Town Road Remix once* pic.twitter.com/dXW63X3c3w
— Matthew A. Cherry (@MatthewACherry) April 5, 2019
i won't apologize for knowing that this would work pic.twitter.com/wPMbThlkmm
— Mike Camerlengo (@MCamerlengo) April 10, 2019
‘I’m gonna take my horse to the hotel room’ misheard lyric
There’s also a curious subset of people who thought the lyric was “I’m gonna take my horse to the hotel room”—even though that makes no sense. Or does it?
Did the Old Town Road meme peak when Stephen A. Smith jumped on it?
— nope (@LilNasX) April 6, 2019
Possibly, but we’re still finding ways to incorporate it into our everyday lives—and historic space discoveries.
*listens to old town road once* pic.twitter.com/cZpa7xrgUu
— Caitlin Kelly (@caitlin__kelly) April 10, 2019
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.