- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video 9 Months Ago
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case 9 Months Ago
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Today 2:33 PM
- The ‘your music saved me’ meme celebrates the wackiest influences of our time Today 2:20 PM
- This guy slapped his mom’s boobs for a TikTok and, honestly, it’s exhausting Today 12:37 PM
- Jif peanut butter and Giphy have joined forces on how to pronounce ‘GIF’ Today 12:19 PM
- This dad threw a 1-year HRT party for his trans son and the internet can’t get enough of it Today 11:44 AM
- This petition wants Pornhub to be shut down for good Today 11:03 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s speech voice is suspiciously like Obama’s Today 10:56 AM
- Exposé about Bernie staffer’s Twitter leads to his firing—and an online class war Today 10:40 AM
- Netflix adds Top 10 feature to showcase what’s popular Today 10:24 AM
- YouTube permanently bans ‘news’ channel that said impeachment was ‘Jew coup’ Today 10:21 AM
- FIFA pro banned from all EA games following threatening rant Today 10:16 AM
- Lucasfilm announces new franchise of ‘Star Wars’ tie-in books and comics Today 9:33 AM
- YouTube yanks revenue from controversial star who faked his girlfriend’s death Today 9:26 AM
There’s a video circulating around Twitter this week of a woman giving a tutorial on making an Old-Fashioned whiskey cocktail. If you’ve seen it, you know exactly which video I’m talking about. If you haven’t, catch up below.
Twitter user @turing_police shared the clip of the old video on Wednesday along with the caption “im losing my fucking mind,” which is a sentiment that appeared to resonate with many other people on the site.
this is exactly how i make drinks when i definitely don't need to have another one https://t.co/qUfd8XZ0PX— Chris Crowley (@chrisecrowley) May 30, 2019
This is greatest thing I’ve ever seen in my life. At the 1:20 mark I lose all bladder control. https://t.co/c1KgBOEbEO— Downtown Josh Brown (@ReformedBroker) May 30, 2019
help me that is a straight up pint glass of bourbon https://t.co/W5XkKHjtUq— Rachael Berkey (@bookoisseur) May 30, 2019
Who wants to come over for a cocktail party and leave in an ambulance while EMT workers cut your clothes off your body??? https://t.co/OvRLHPySlS— Jenny Johnson (@JennyJohnsonHi5) May 31, 2019
In the video, JaNee Nisonger demonstrates how to make an Old-Fashioned, which she claims “not that many people order” anymore. (The video is several years old, but that line still seems inaccurate.)
She goes on to make an Old-Fashioned in a pint glass with a full cup of ice and phantom bitters. She also instructs viewers to use “3 ounces” of bourbon, but she fills the entire glass with bourbon. The result is… Well, it’s an entire glass of bourbon with crushed up sugary cherries and a whole orange slice. It’s not the typical way to make an Old-Fashioned, but she did get all the correct ingredients in there.
The Old-Fashioned video was part of a series of YouTube cocktail tutorials Nisonger made for Maholo.com. She made videos for margaritas, mint juleps, and other alcoholic beverages—which drew the ire of cocktail purists. Every year or so, someone rediscovers Nisonger’s videos, and they go viral again.
It’s unclear what Nisonger is up to now—she doesn’t have a presence on social media—but if she were to relaunch a series of unconventional how-to cocktail videos on YouTube, she’d certainly have a built-in dedicated audience.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.