- Lucasfilm announces new franchise of ‘Star Wars’ tie-in books and comics 1 Year Ago
- YouTube yanks revenue from controversial star who faked his girlfriend’s death 1 Year Ago
- Facebook can ignore misleading political ads. This Democrat wants to change that 1 Year Ago
- How to watch tonight’s South Carolina 2020 Democratic presidential debate 1 Year Ago
- What exactly is ‘too adult’ for Disney+? Today 7:02 AM
- How tall is Michael Bloomberg? Today 6:30 AM
- The ’24 hours to respond’ meme holds celebrities to a higher standard Monday 8:46 PM
- Twitter users miss the kids who walked in on their dad’s interview Monday 8:40 PM
- ‘The Thing About Men’ Twitter hashtag is full of sarcasm and misogyny Monday 7:27 PM
- This woman said Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 election gave her PTSD, and people are furious Monday 6:45 PM
- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Monday 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Monday 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Monday 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Monday 3:26 PM
If Bradley Cooper‘s A Star is Born is anything like its predecessors, it’s going to do well come awards season. The original 1937 film (in which the female lead wanted to be an actress, not a singer) was nominated for seven Academy Awards and won for best writing. The 1954 Judy Garland musical was nominated for six, and although it didn’t win any of them, it did win two Golden Globes. The 1976 version, starring Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson, the first to make the couple musicians instead of actors, won an Oscar for best original song.
But there’s one remake of the film that has the potential to be the greatest yet. While it might not ever make it to the big screen, the trailer for this Muppets version, featuring a down-on-his-luck Kermit the Frog, and a shy-but-talented Miss Piggy, can at least be enjoyed on Twitter.
Wow ANOTHER remake? pic.twitter.com/3eKheaY1OY— Kevin T. Porter (@KevinTPorter) September 19, 2018
Created by comedian and podcaster Kevin T. Porter, the new and possibly improved version features audio from the 2018 trailer and matches up footage from past Muppets films. Hearing Lady Gaga‘s voice come out of Miss Piggy’s mouth, and watching a troubled Kermit descend into depression and alcoholism, is as disconcerting as it is hilarious.
KEVIN THANK YOU FOR THIS BEAUTIFUL GIFT— Siobhan Thompson (@vornietom) September 19, 2018
Fozzie as Dave Chapelle was just perfection. Close 2nd was the Animal drum hit in the crescendo. Bravo.— Eric Boggs (@ericboggs) September 19, 2018
The amazing trailer just came out on Wednesday, so director and star Bradley Cooper hasn’t had a chance to react yet. It’s a fair bet that, at the very least, Lady Gaga is going to be a fan given her history with frog attire.
A Star is Born is set to debut on Oct. 5 and sits at 95 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. People are already talking about Oscar nominations, and the Observer predicts the film will crack $30 million its opening weekend.
All of which is great, but we still want to see that full-length Muppets version.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.