- Insurance company to ‘reevaluate’ relationship with Tucker Carlson after racist comment 3 Months Ago
- Netflix’s instant rewind button is not popular with users Today 2:20 PM
- Offset interrupted Cardi B’s set at Rolling Loud Festival, and fans are pissed Today 1:18 PM
- ‘Ms. Marvel’ gets a new, award-winning writer in Saladin Ahmed Today 11:32 AM
- ‘SNL’ gives us the daddy pageant we’ve been dying for Today 10:28 AM
- How pranksters fooled the internet in 2018 Today 8:00 AM
- 2018 belonged to trans people Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch local channels on Roku Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch Levante vs. Barcelona online for free Today 6:19 AM
- How to watch Liverpool vs. Manchester United online for free Today 6:00 AM
- The best couch co-op video games for couples Today 6:00 AM
- Pete Davidson is OK and at work following alarming Instagram post Saturday 7:26 PM
- Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker doesn’t know how to use a Venn diagram Saturday 5:38 PM
- This college student made a movie trailer to tease her boyfriend, and Twitter can’t get enough (updated) Saturday 3:13 PM
- ‘Kappa Delta Crypto’ aims to break stereotypes in five-minute Snapchat episodes Saturday 2:29 PM
If Bradley Cooper‘s A Star is Born is anything like its predecessors, it’s going to do well come awards season. The original 1937 film (in which the female lead wanted to be an actress, not a singer) was nominated for seven Academy Awards and won for best writing. The 1954 Judy Garland musical was nominated for six, and although it didn’t win any of them, it did win two Golden Globes. The 1976 version, starring Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson, the first to make the couple musicians instead of actors, won an Oscar for best original song.
But there’s one remake of the film that has the potential to be the greatest yet. While it might not ever make it to the big screen, the trailer for this Muppets version, featuring a down-on-his-luck Kermit the Frog, and a shy-but-talented Miss Piggy, can at least be enjoyed on Twitter.
Wow ANOTHER remake? pic.twitter.com/3eKheaY1OY
— Kevin T. Porter (@KevinTPorter) September 19, 2018
Created by comedian and podcaster Kevin T. Porter, the new and possibly improved version features audio from the 2018 trailer and matches up footage from past Muppets films. Hearing Lady Gaga‘s voice come out of Miss Piggy’s mouth, and watching a troubled Kermit descend into depression and alcoholism, is as disconcerting as it is hilarious.
KEVIN THANK YOU FOR THIS BEAUTIFUL GIFT
— Siobhan Thompson (@vornietom) September 19, 2018
Fozzie as Dave Chapelle was just perfection. Close 2nd was the Animal drum hit in the crescendo. Bravo.
— Eric Boggs (@ericboggs) September 19, 2018
The amazing trailer just came out on Wednesday, so director and star Bradley Cooper hasn’t had a chance to react yet. It’s a fair bet that, at the very least, Lady Gaga is going to be a fan given her history with frog attire.
— Onur Ersoz (@onuregaga) September 19, 2018
A Star is Born is set to debut on Oct. 5 and sits at 95 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. People are already talking about Oscar nominations, and the Observer predicts the film will crack $30 million its opening weekend.
All of which is great, but we still want to see that full-length Muppets version.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.