- Mask that has your face printed on it allows you to unlock your phone during viral epidemics 2 Years Ago
- Justin Bieber slid into the DMs of someone who hated his new album Today 1:05 PM
- HQ Trivia host and co-founder in Twitter feud amid shutdown Today 12:10 PM
- YouTuber shamed for fake call with Caroline Flack after her death Today 10:59 AM
- This MAGA-loving Keanu Reeves imposter isn’t fooling anyone Today 10:16 AM
- How to watch ‘Outlander’ season 5 online Today 8:00 AM
- Kobe Bryant’s complicated online legacy isn’t buried with him Today 6:00 AM
- TikTok teen’s reaction to discovering boyfriend’s cheating goes viral Saturday 4:46 PM
- This may be the creepiest Amazon review you’ll ever read Saturday 3:58 PM
- Bill Maher booed on own show over defense of Bloomberg Saturday 3:37 PM
- The Sun allegedly deletes negative Caroline Flack story after her death Saturday 2:48 PM
- How to watch ‘American Idol’ season 18 Saturday 2:00 PM
- James Blake defends girlfriend Jameela Jamil amid allegations she’s faking her illnesses Saturday 1:46 PM
- Viral video purports to show doctors with guns amid coronavirus outbreak Saturday 1:07 PM
- Russian YouTubers pretend to be Greta Thunberg, share alleged prank call with Bernie Sanders Saturday 11:07 AM
Pixar’s The Incredibles, which came out more than a dozen years ago, is finally getting a sequel in 2018. But in meme communities, The Incredibles is already back in a big way. A screengrab from the original 2004 film has become one of the top memes on Reddit this week.
“Yeah, I’ve got time” emerged from the r/dankmemes community, one of Reddit’s most reliable incubators of new meme content. It’s based on a scene where superhero Mr. Incredible casually takes a detour to help the police with a high-speed chase. He’s got time.
He’s got time for anything, really, if it’s important enough.
Know Your Meme points out that “Yeah, I’ve got time” is often similar in tone to the Star Wars prequel meme “This is where the fun begins.” That meme uses a screenshot of Anakin Skywalker delivering the line, and “the fun” usually refers to some offensive or taboo sexual activity. “Yeah, I’ve got time” can be used in the same “edgy” way.
But due to a trend away from envelope-pushing memes that are offensive just for the sake of being offensive, the Incredibles meme tends to have broader applications.
“Yeah, I’ve got time,” has also entered the canon of memes with edited subtitles, where part of the caption is removed to change the meaning of the image. For example:
This style of joke became popular after the “Ah, I see you’re a man of culture as well” meme of March 2017, which did the same thing with an anime screenshot. Other examples have used porn videos and the music video for Smash Mouth’s All Star.”
Memes with captions tend to have additional longevity in today’s competitive meme marketplace, because a screengrab and a caption provide twice as many options for creative expression as the screengrab alone. When you combine that with a popular movie character and a generic phrase—I’ve got time—that can apply to practically any situation, you’ve got a meme that’s truly incredible.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.