- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go 2 Years Ago
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Today 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Today 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Today 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Today 12:18 PM
- ‘The Dirt’ offers a sanitized history of Mötley Crüe—but why? Today 11:42 AM
- ‘The Dirt’ director Jeff Tremaine on Mötley Crüe’s long, difficult road to Netflix Today 11:30 AM
- Here’s video of yet another alleged gunman looking for YouTuber Adam22 Today 11:09 AM
- 12 mugs that are absolutely purr-fect for cat enthusiasts Today 10:58 AM
- Jared Kushner used WhatsApp for official White House business Today 10:50 AM
- Unsettled Tom memes are on the rise Today 10:36 AM
- Trans student nominated for prom king told by administration to run for queen Today 10:07 AM
- Trump turns on his favorite cable news network Today 8:56 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for less than $1 Today 8:34 AM
- How to stream Bellator 218 for free Today 8:00 AM
Whatever it is, he’s got time for it.
Pixar’s The Incredibles, which came out more than a dozen years ago, is finally getting a sequel in 2018. But in meme communities, The Incredibles is already back in a big way. A screengrab from the original 2004 film has become one of the top memes on Reddit this week.
“Yeah, I’ve got time” emerged from the r/dankmemes community, one of Reddit’s most reliable incubators of new meme content. It’s based on a scene where superhero Mr. Incredible casually takes a detour to help the police with a high-speed chase. He’s got time.
He’s got time for anything, really, if it’s important enough.
Know Your Meme points out that “Yeah, I’ve got time” is often similar in tone to the Star Wars prequel meme “This is where the fun begins.” That meme uses a screenshot of Anakin Skywalker delivering the line, and “the fun” usually refers to some offensive or taboo sexual activity. “Yeah, I’ve got time” can be used in the same “edgy” way.
But due to a trend away from envelope-pushing memes that are offensive just for the sake of being offensive, the Incredibles meme tends to have broader applications.
“Yeah, I’ve got time,” has also entered the canon of memes with edited subtitles, where part of the caption is removed to change the meaning of the image. For example:
This style of joke became popular after the “Ah, I see you’re a man of culture as well” meme of March 2017, which did the same thing with an anime screenshot. Other examples have used porn videos and the music video for Smash Mouth’s All Star.”
Memes with captions tend to have additional longevity in today’s competitive meme marketplace, because a screengrab and a caption provide twice as many options for creative expression as the screengrab alone. When you combine that with a popular movie character and a generic phrase—I’ve got time—that can apply to practically any situation, you’ve got a meme that’s truly incredible.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.