- Harness the power of sun: The best solar-powered phone charges 6 Years Ago
- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
The Morning GIF: Lindsay Lohan lip service
The case of the incredible inflating lips.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
In the tinsel galaxy of Hollywood stars, there is no one—not Nick Nolte, not Charlie Sheen, not Mel “Sugar Tits” Gibson—who has more experience in front of the cameras of the Los Angeles Police Department than former child star turned career drinker Lindsay Lohan. With experience comes nonchalance, and for her latest mugshot (No. 6, as enumerated on DListed) ol’ LiLo didn’t even bother to brush her hair or, apparently, to change out of her kid brother’s baseball jacket. She still got the false eyelashes on, though. What a trouper.
This momentary capture of insouciant incarceration has yet to be GIF’d, but thanks to VH1, the previous five shots have been put together in a kind of Dorian Gray-esque portrait of the artist as a progressively-less-young trainwreck.
As her career options have shrunk, so have her lips inflated, thanks to an undeniable fondness for the needle (whatever she may say about powders or beverages) and the cut-rate facial fillers, so some wag has constructed a Warholesque grid of her grinning gob GIFs in tight closeup, inflating before your very (traumatized) eyes.
We can laugh, if bitterly, but it’s well to remember that once she was talented, once she was diligent, and twice she has been on the cover of Vanity Fair. The half-life of a starlet is measured in units themselves as debased as a tarnished copper penny. Sic transit gloria mundane.
GIF via VH1
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.