- Alex Jones protests outside the White House by shouting the name of his website 2 Years Ago
- ‘I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson’ has an absurd conclusion for every scenario 2 Years Ago
- Twitch star TF Blade banned for racial slur—but he swears he didn’t say it 2 Years Ago
- Steve King says backlash to white nationalism comment was like what Jesus went through 2 Years Ago
- Netflix movies are still eligible for Oscars, Academy rules 2 Years Ago
- Sheriff’s deputy makes homophobic comments on Facebook after gay teen’s suicide Today 10:02 AM
- The Marvel movies you actually need to see before ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Today 9:10 AM
- Twitter launches new tool to combat misinformation about voting Today 8:44 AM
- These Cards Will Get You Drunk is the game with one very obvious purpose Today 8:20 AM
- Conservative guy’s Elizabeth Warren op-ed inspires ‘slap in the face’ meme Today 7:37 AM
- ‘Ask Dr. Ruth’ takes a crowd-pleasing look at her life and groundbreaking career Today 7:30 AM
- Tom Holland and Daisy Ridley’s ‘Chaos Walking’ is so bad it’s ‘unreleasable’ Today 7:01 AM
- The best Westerns on YouTube that you can watch for free Today 7:00 AM
- The shocking similarities between QAnon’s ‘Storm’ and the far-right’s ‘Second Civil War’ Today 6:30 AM
- Healsluts are challenging gaming to make room for queer, kinky self-discovery Today 6:30 AM
What’s your wolf name?
When Doge isn’t enough, there’s always Moon Moon, the intellectually stunted wolf.
It’s been nearly three years since Moon Moon bound onto our screens and stumbled awkwardly into our hearts, banging his head on the way.
The meme originated from a Tumblr post by a user named Kitchiki, a 21-year animator based in London, who shared a screengrab of a name generator offering “Your Wolf Name?” The only problem is that, if your initials happened to be P.W., then your wolf name is… Moon Moon, which, as Kitchiki pointed out in his post, is hilariously stupid. “Oh shit, who brought Moon Moon along?”
The post immediately went viral—though Kitchiki wisely updated the post to remove an offensive term—accumulating over 158,000 notes in the first two weeks. Today it has over 800,000. Moon Moon’s exposure rapidly expanded from that initial Tumblr post, finding popularity on photo-sharing sites like Tickled and Imgur.
- The best memes of 2017 (thus far)
- The unbearable dankness of memes
- The spammy history of ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), Le Lenny Face
Moon Moon certainly shares a few similarities with Doge, its more popular dumb-dog counterpart. Although Doge was created in 2010, it wasn’t until 2013 that that meme began to really pick up steam on Tumblr and Imgur. Whereas Doge jokes are in a more clipped two-word rhythm, always beginning with one of a handful of regular modifiers (“so,” “such,” “many,” “much,” and “very”), Moon Moon comics are more narrative and character-driven, almost like a one-panel comic strip.
Here are a few examples of the Moon Moon meme:
Know Your Meme
The meme is still going strong. Interest in it has stayed pretty constant, according to Google Trends.
That’s thanks in part to a dedicated Moon Moon subreddit, which adds new videos and GIFs to the Moon Moon legend every day.
We asked one of the subreddit’s moderators, JHoward777, why he thinks the meme endures. “I’m pretty amazed to see how far this trend has come along,” he said. “And with Reddit now catching on to the trend, it’ll definitely grow faster and become much larger in the future.”
Probably not, but one can dream.
Grant Pardee is a writer and producer specializing in digital video, social media, and web culture reporting. He has produced videos for Fullscreen, SourceFed, and Funny or Die, and his work has been published by Vice, McSweeney's, and Rooster Teeth.