- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Saturday 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Saturday 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
When Doge isn’t enough, there’s always Moon Moon, the intellectually stunted wolf.
It’s been nearly three years since Moon Moon bound onto our screens and stumbled awkwardly into our hearts, banging his head on the way.
The meme originated from a Tumblr post by a user named Kitchiki, a 21-year animator based in London, who shared a screengrab of a name generator offering “Your Wolf Name?” The only problem is that, if your initials happened to be P.W., then your wolf name is… Moon Moon, which, as Kitchiki pointed out in his post, is hilariously stupid. “Oh shit, who brought Moon Moon along?”
The post immediately went viral—though Kitchiki wisely updated the post to remove an offensive term—accumulating over 158,000 notes in the first two weeks. Today it has over 800,000. Moon Moon’s exposure rapidly expanded from that initial Tumblr post, finding popularity on photo-sharing sites like Tickled and Imgur.
- The best memes of 2017 (thus far)
- The unbearable dankness of memes
- The spammy history of ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), Le Lenny Face
Moon Moon certainly shares a few similarities with Doge, its more popular dumb-dog counterpart. Although Doge was created in 2010, it wasn’t until 2013 that that meme began to really pick up steam on Tumblr and Imgur. Whereas Doge jokes are in a more clipped two-word rhythm, always beginning with one of a handful of regular modifiers (“so,” “such,” “many,” “much,” and “very”), Moon Moon comics are more narrative and character-driven, almost like a one-panel comic strip.
Here are a few examples of the Moon Moon meme:
Know Your Meme
The meme is still going strong. Interest in it has stayed pretty constant, according to Google Trends.
That’s thanks in part to a dedicated Moon Moon subreddit, which adds new videos and GIFs to the Moon Moon legend every day.
We asked one of the subreddit’s moderators, JHoward777, why he thinks the meme endures. “I’m pretty amazed to see how far this trend has come along,” he said. “And with Reddit now catching on to the trend, it’ll definitely grow faster and become much larger in the future.”
Probably not, but one can dream.
Grant Pardee is a writer and producer specializing in digital video, social media, and web culture reporting. He has produced videos for Fullscreen, SourceFed, and Funny or Die, and his work has been published by Vice, McSweeney's, and Rooster Teeth.