- How influencers use TikTok to make money and launch careers Thursday 7:18 PM
- How to stream Argentina vs. Brazil live Thursday 6:51 PM
- Miss Fame calls out Justin Bieber for low music video appearance pay offer Thursday 6:19 PM
- Trump Jr. ranked No. 1 on best-seller list—after the GOP gave away copies of his book Thursday 5:45 PM
- Mo’Nique suing Netflix for race and gender discrimination Thursday 5:09 PM
- Students outraged that professors accused of sexual misconduct are still teaching Thursday 5:00 PM
- TikTok users jokingly wear big hats to sneak snacks into movie theaters Thursday 3:59 PM
- Why today’s new facially recognition bill is being called ‘woefully’ inadequate Thursday 3:15 PM
- Facebook has given more user data to the government than ever before Thursday 2:57 PM
- How many devices can you stream Disney+ on at once? Thursday 2:42 PM
- Instagram included in Facebook transparency report for the first time Thursday 1:46 PM
- PayPal pulls out of Pornhub, leaving sex workers to consider cryptocurrency Thursday 1:46 PM
- Billionaires are resorting to making racist jokes against Warren now Thursday 1:30 PM
- What is the meme of the decade? Thursday 1:07 PM
- At least 5 employees resign from GitHub, citing ICE contract Thursday 12:57 PM
Twitter is here to remind Michelangelo he ain’t special. Alongside other great artists and scholars who became accomplished at a young age, Michelangelo is getting dragged on Twitter as users compare him to their modern pop culture faves.
Rihanna was only 19 when she invented Umbrella. https://t.co/1YcTUNubLU— c (@chuuzus) November 5, 2019
“Michelangelo was only 24 years old when he completed the Pietà sculpture,” the original tweet by @hotgirlroxy reads, along with a photo of the sculpture.
Though some users are admittedly admiring the art, most are knocking Michelangelo down a few pegs by sharing modern-day celebrities’ biggest accomplishments at even younger ages.
“Britney was 21 when she released toxic he ain’t special,” Twitter user @yourholygaymom wrote.
Many users are sharing their favorite songs and albums from young breakout artists.
Others recalled how the Weeknd was only 21 years old when he released his debut mixtape House of Balloons, or how Taylor Swift was only 18 years old when she wrote “Love Story” in about 20 minutes while on her bedroom floor.
the weeknd was only 21 years old when he dropped house of balloons https://t.co/Tkng6xS9YE— ؘ ؘ (@xotriilogy) November 4, 2019
britney was 21 when she released toxic he ain't special https://t.co/iazhxtCQq4— alyssa (@yourholygaymom) November 5, 2019
Taylor swift was only 18 when she wrote Love story in 25 minutes on her bedroom floor https://t.co/9kjWLDgFge— Pop Crave (@popcrayye) November 6, 2019
Others are sharing their favorite fictional triumphs.
“Sansa Stark was only 19 when she became the Queen in the North,” Twitter user @RazaHamdani14 wrote.
Sansa Stark was only 19 when she became the Queen in the North https://t.co/G1PpaOVnqT— 𝐒𝐡𝐚𝐲𝐚𝐧 ⓧ (@RazaHamdani14) November 6, 2019
I was only 14 when I exposed Paolo, performed at the colosseum and became an international popstar https://t.co/zae4JJzPFj— Lizzie McGuire (@ImLizzieM) November 5, 2019
This meme format is not necessarily new, and similar memes have made the rounds on Twitter before. Every couple of months a tweet sharing something similar, like the age of Sir Isaac Newton when he discovered gravity, for example, goes viral–and Twitter users come up with the best responses. But for now, we can enjoy people comparing their faves to a sculptor who has been dead for centuries.
Nick Jonas was only 15 when he wrote SOS https://t.co/dOHuJYbvCO— NICK JONAS PICS (@archivenick) November 3, 2019
Esther Bell is a writer for the Daily Dot. She recently graduated from Northwestern University with a degree in journalism, and her work has appeared in Bustle and Teen Vogue.