- Woman slammed for trying to put UPS driver on blast Sunday 5:23 PM
- Twitter users are sharing which celebrities have blocked them Sunday 4:43 PM
- Conspiracy theorists are already taking advantage of Kobe Bryant’s death Sunday 4:14 PM
- Adam Driver returns to ‘SNL’ as Kylo Ren to reprise role in ‘Undercover Boss’ parody Sunday 3:46 PM
- White men are raging over ‘SNL’s’ white male rage skit Sunday 3:05 PM
- Kobe Bryant dead at 41 Sunday 2:24 PM
- Pete Buttigieg mocked over ‘staged’ walking photo Sunday 12:22 PM
- Louise Linton deletes pro-Greta Thunberg Instagram post Sunday 10:58 AM
- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement Sunday 9:08 AM
- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Sunday 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Sunday 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Sunday 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
It’s Oct. 3, and it’s a Wednesday. That’s right, today is officially Mean Girls day, and fans worldwide are wearing pink to celebrate.
If you have no clue why your entire office is dressed in pink, let us explain. In the 2004 comedy Mean Girls, 16-year-old Cady Heron gushes about telling her crush Aaron Samuels that it’s Oct. 3, turning the day itself into a meme. Then there’s the popular clique “the Plastics,” who invites Cady to sit with them every day for lunch, warning her that they wear pink on Wednesdays.
Here’s the two scenes in question if you want to keep up with the jokes:
Pretty simple, right? For the record, Oct. 3 hasn’t fallen on a Wednesday since 2012, so today is quite the holiday for Mean Girls fans everywhere. The tweets are already going viral.
It's October 3. In Korea, today is a national holiday celebrating the establishment of the first nation set in the peninsula in 2333 BC.— Sung Min Kim (@sung_minkim) October 2, 2018
In America, people celebrate a Mean Girls quote.
three things we learned from #MeanGirls:— fabrizio (@ferzgrande) October 3, 2018
- "calling someone fat doesn't make you thinner".
- on october 3 you have to say it's october 3rd.
- on wednesdays, whatever happens, we go pink. pic.twitter.com/lwe4vnaBcA
How many years are we all going to keep tweeting about Mean Girls on October 3?? #TheLimitDoesNotExist— Katherine O'Toole (@kotoole3) October 3, 2018
Online, Twitter users are sharing their pink outfits for the day too, from selfies to group shots.
Every 7 years... this amazing day happens! It’s October 3. It’s Wednesday. Happy mean girls day 🙂 pic.twitter.com/PjbM9iw7Xv— Daniela Nicole (@deenicole919) October 3, 2018
Even Netflix is joining in on the fun, sort of.
Today is October 3rd, but we don’t have Mean Girls, so it’s just another regular Wednesday.— Netflix Canada (@Netflix_CA) October 3, 2018
*inhales* Netflix, our marriage is officially on the rocks.— Kerri is still in revision hell (@kerrilyndasilva) October 3, 2018
A couple Twitter users have their own spin on the day, too, such as this adorable queer Oct. 3 photoshoot.
Plenty of men are breaking out incredibly stylish pink outfits, too.
- The best movies on Amazon Prime
- The 105 best movies on Netflix
- 20 classic movies on Netflix everyone should see
As fans wrap up Mean Girls day, the Miss Congeniality fandom is counting down the weeks to April 25, when it’s not too hot, not too cold, and all you need is a light jacket. Oh, and if you want to stay up to date with your office’s pop culture holidays, check out our calendar tracking down the days.
Ana Valens is a reporter specializing in online queer communities, marginalized identities, and adult content creation. She is Daily Dot's Trans/Sex columnist. Her work has appeared at Vice, Vox, Truthout, Bitch Media, Kill Screen, Rolling Stone, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York, and spends her free time developing queer adult games.