- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Friday 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Friday 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Friday 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Friday 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Friday 7:56 AM
October 3 is a Wednesday this year, making today the best Mean Girls day
Today is so fetch!
It’s Oct. 3, and it’s a Wednesday. That’s right, today is officially Mean Girls day, and fans worldwide are wearing pink to celebrate.
If you have no clue why your entire office is dressed in pink, let us explain. In the 2004 comedy Mean Girls, 16-year-old Cady Heron gushes about telling her crush Aaron Samuels that it’s Oct. 3, turning the day itself into a meme. Then there’s the popular clique “the Plastics,” who invites Cady to sit with them every day for lunch, warning her that they wear pink on Wednesdays.
Here’s the two scenes in question if you want to keep up with the jokes:
Pretty simple, right? For the record, Oct. 3 hasn’t fallen on a Wednesday since 2012, so today is quite the holiday for Mean Girls fans everywhere. The tweets are already going viral.
It's October 3. In Korea, today is a national holiday celebrating the establishment of the first nation set in the peninsula in 2333 BC.— Sung Min Kim (@sung_minkim) October 2, 2018
In America, people celebrate a Mean Girls quote.
three things we learned from #MeanGirls:— fabrizio (@ferzgrande) October 3, 2018
- "calling someone fat doesn't make you thinner".
- on october 3 you have to say it's october 3rd.
- on wednesdays, whatever happens, we go pink. pic.twitter.com/lwe4vnaBcA
How many years are we all going to keep tweeting about Mean Girls on October 3?? #TheLimitDoesNotExist— Katherine O'Toole (@kotoole3) October 3, 2018
Online, Twitter users are sharing their pink outfits for the day too, from selfies to group shots.
Every 7 years... this amazing day happens! It’s October 3. It’s Wednesday. Happy mean girls day 🙂 pic.twitter.com/PjbM9iw7Xv— Daniela Nicole (@deenicole919) October 3, 2018
Even Netflix is joining in on the fun, sort of.
Today is October 3rd, but we don’t have Mean Girls, so it’s just another regular Wednesday.— Netflix Canada (@Netflix_CA) October 3, 2018
*inhales* Netflix, our marriage is officially on the rocks.— Kerri is still in revision hell (@kerrilyndasilva) October 3, 2018
A couple Twitter users have their own spin on the day, too, such as this adorable queer Oct. 3 photoshoot.
Plenty of men are breaking out incredibly stylish pink outfits, too.
- The best movies on Amazon Prime
- The 105 best movies on Netflix
- 20 classic movies on Netflix everyone should see
As fans wrap up Mean Girls day, the Miss Congeniality fandom is counting down the weeks to April 25, when it’s not too hot, not too cold, and all you need is a light jacket. Oh, and if you want to stay up to date with your office’s pop culture holidays, check out our calendar tracking down the days.
Ana Valens is a reporter specializing in online queer communities, marginalized identities, and adult content creation. She is Daily Dot's Trans/Sex columnist. Her work has appeared at Vice, Vox, Truthout, Bitch Media, Kill Screen, Rolling Stone, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York, and spends her free time developing queer adult games.