- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
- Roger Stone barred from posting on all social media platforms Tuesday 6:03 PM
- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age Tuesday 5:16 PM
- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo Tuesday 3:54 PM
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Tuesday 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Tuesday 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Tuesday 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Tuesday 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Tuesday 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Tuesday 12:02 PM
The founder of We Rate Dogs hilariously trolls FCC chairman over net neutrality
As far as Twitter burns go, it’s 13/10.
Ajit follows dog feelings and seems to enjoy it. Who wants to help me craft a sincere DM to him explaining why he shouldn’t ruin the Internet? pic.twitter.com/NkXvdhKNOX— The Dogfather (@matt___nelson) November 24, 2017
A few minutes later, the DM to Pai had been sent.
alright it’s done pic.twitter.com/Lv8bELMjm4— The Dogfather (@matt___nelson) November 24, 2017
“Just wanted in inform you that starting with the repeal of net neutrality, we will block you and this account will be private,” the message reads, before detailing the premium “Pupper” and “Doggo” packages he can buy to access the account.
As the Daily Dot explained in this piece last week, the loss of net neutrality could make you pay more for internet access. “Critics of the FCC’s plan warn that ISPs could begin to institute ‘tiered’ internet plans, much in the same way that television providers offer different cable TV packages,” wrote the Daily Dot’s Andrew Wyrich. “For example, your ISP might offer one plan that includes access Bing’s search engine but not Google’s, or to Twitter but not Facebook, while only the most expensive plans would give customers access to the internet as they do today. Others worry about censorship and limits on freedom of expression online.”
That’s why Nelson’s DM to Pai is so biting. How upset would Pai be if he had to pay $50 a month for the Doggo Package in the future when, today, Pai has to pay nothing for all his @dog_feelings content?
The trolling effort by Nelson was A-plus. In We Rate Dogs terms, we’d give it 13/10.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.