- ‘Due to personal reasons’ meme enables questionable behavior 11 Months Ago
- Why do white rappers write lyrics about being good hypothetical dads? Today 3:29 PM
- Roger Stone posts, then deletes, Instagram of his judge with small crosshairs next to her Today 2:32 PM
- People are Googling Rihanna and their birthday in a Twitter challenge Today 2:13 PM
- Here are all of the Fortnite earthquake cracks thus far Today 1:21 PM
- New Apex Legends characters leaked by data miners Today 12:36 PM
- Ken Jeong falls back on crude humor and lazy stereotypes in ‘You Complete Me, Ho’ Today 12:24 PM
- 14 artsy cartoon mugs that’ll help make your days more creative Today 12:15 PM
- Netflix cancels ‘Jessica Jones’ and ‘The Punisher’ Today 11:26 AM
- YouTube is fueling the rise in flat earth believers Today 11:04 AM
- Review: Crackdown 3 is not a world worth saving Today 11:00 AM
- Scathing privacy report calls Facebook a ‘digital gangster’ Today 10:50 AM
- 21 Savage goes deep on 21 Savage memes Today 10:49 AM
- Everyone is debating the number of towels you should own Today 10:47 AM
- How to unlock the Fortnite Prisoner stage 4 skin Today 10:45 AM
Nintendo has revealed Luigi’s penis—and fans are going nuts
The answer to a question you never asked.
First, it was Mario’s nipples, now it’s Luigi’s penis. As Nintendo’s 3D graphics get more detailed in the newest generation of Mario games, the two famous brothers are being rendered as human men with all the human parts, not the chubby Italian Ken Dolls of yore. Of course, people have always wondered what’s going on “down there,” and now they know, thanks to a very revealing screenshot of Luigi’s tight shorts in the upcoming Mario Tennis Aces.
As with the Mario nipple reveal in Super Mario Odyssey, fans seem to be divided on Luigi’s bulge. There are those who think it’s unnecessary and wish they’d never been made to contemplate the lanky cartoon mustache man as a sexual being, and there are those who are absolutely thrilled that Luigi’s slightly-above-average D has become part of the Mario canon.
The first group, as a popular tweet by Christopher Butcher pointed out, is mostly on Twitter:
Meanwhile, on Tumblr, fans are calculating the approximate size of Luigi’s equipment. They can’t get enough!
The thrust (heh) of the backlash is generally that dick physics isn’t a necessary component of a sports game for kids, especially coming from Nintendo of America, a company that has historically been “family-friendly” to a fault, removing references to sex, drugs, and alcohol from the U.S. versions of games. Many people don’t want to think of the safe and friendly characters they grew up with as sexy, dick-having adult men—totally understandable!
But on the internet, and especially in fandom spaces, the rule is that if a character exists, there’s porn of them. Mario and Luigi are absolutely not exceptions.
In a way, Luigi’s penis has been there all along, in the hearts and minds of a certain kind of fan. These folks will be very happy that Nintendo has made Super Mario Genitals part of the in-game canon, and kids probably won’t even notice.
Congratulations to Luigi for becoming “anatomically correct,” or whatever, and congrats to everyone who’s ever been horny for him.
Correction 8:34am, March 16: An earlier version of this article misstated in which game Mario’s nipples made their debut. That title was Super Mario Odyssey, not Galaxy.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.