- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Saturday 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Saturday 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets canceled over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Saturday 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Saturday 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Saturday 11:46 AM
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Saturday 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Saturday 10:00 AM
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying Saturday 9:29 AM
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Saturday 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
You’ve got to keep your head on a swivel when Messi is near.
Lionel Messi isn’t necessarily known for his powerful legs on the soccer pitch. Though he is largely recognized as one of the best (if not the best) player in the world, the Telegraph once wrote that when it comes to scoring goals, he “prefers the scalpel to the shotgun.”
But as one unlucky fan discovered last Sunday, getting hit by a Messi shot on goal isn’t a pleasant experience. Messi’s first-half attempt to score for Barcelona vs. Villarreal was a bit off-target, Specifically, colliding with the wrist of a woman named Raquel and apparently breaking a bone.
Here’s how it happened.
After recovering from the shock of it all, Raquel—apparently a Real Madrid supporter—told Spanish channel nCuatro, via the Mirror, that the ball struck hard enough to cause a fracture.
Raquel also noted that she’s a Cristiano Ronaldo fan, a sentiment that probably won’t change after her rude encounter with Messi’s wayward shot.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.