- Animator for Netflix’s ‘Carmen Sandiego’ says he was fired after asking for fair pay 1 Year Ago
- YouTube reverses decision to remove creators’ badges Today 1:47 PM
- How video game developer Valve got served secret subpoena as part of FBI’s counterterrorism fight Today 12:31 PM
- Aron Eisenberg, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ actor, dead at 50 Today 11:35 AM
- Who needs glass slippers? This Cinderella cosplayer upgraded with a stunning glass arm Today 10:19 AM
- How to check if Yahoo owes you $358 Today 9:25 AM
- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Today 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Today 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
In 2012, singer Lenny Kravitz donned a knit scarf while out and about. It was a little cold outside, and the “Fly Away” rocker needed to wear something to keep himself warm. He selected a scarf—but not just any scarf. He chose an absolutely massive one.
The internet has been mocking him for the sheer size of the accessory ever since.
I need a new throw for my sofa, anyone know where Lenny Kravitz got his scarf ?— Tiffany Stevenson (@tiffstevenson) November 25, 2014
If only Lenny Kravitz could find a bigger scarf.. pic.twitter.com/pwWxx6Xrt8— Ben Atkinson (@BenAtkinsonUK) November 22, 2014
But what was the story behind that big old thing, anyway? Gather ’round, internet, because there’s a whole backstory. Kravitz recently appeared on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, and his infamous scarf came up as a topic of discussion. Kravitz spilled the beans on the fateful day he decided to go out wearing the rug-like scarf.
“I cannot escape this, brother!” Kravitz joked when Jimmy Fallon brought up the “thing he saw recently on the internet” about the singer and actor. It turned out to be the scarf photo.
“I was buying some groceries, and I thought I’d put on a little scarf to protect my throat, and that’s the scarf I had,” Kravitz explained. Noting that he’s “used to hot weather,” he picked out the scarf and thought nothing of deciding to wear it.
“But Lenny, this is not a scarf, this is a blanket,” Fallon said, laughing. He’s not wrong. “Dude, there’s no way. What is this? Come on, man. That is insane.”
Kravitz tried to shift the blame to the garment’s designer.
“The guy who made that scarf, who you can blame that on, he made that scarf and he gave it to me,” he said. “That was the day I thought I’d break it out. I had no idea there’d be paparazzi.”
The two shared raucous laughter as Fallon showed Photoshopped versions of Kravitz’s scarf photo. It’s so large it almost completely engulfs him in some images, which only makes it funnier.
“Here’s the thing about the internet, though,” Kravitz said. “That’s the problem. That’s the size of the scarf, but the scarf keeps getting bigger and bigger.” He may not find it as funny as the rest of the internet, but the meme has already withstood the test of time.
*Lenny Kravitz update* Lenny decides his old scarf was too small.— Stuart Bache (@stuartbache) November 25, 2014
(Sorry, I just had to do this): pic.twitter.com/kagdGe8K55
Years later, people are still laughing.
I know Lenny Kravitz scarf day is not until November, but I really feel like I need it today pic.twitter.com/0gPht3PoIx— Rosamund Dean (@RosamundDean) September 14, 2018
it’s almost Lenny Kravitz Gets Eaten By His Scarf season !!! pic.twitter.com/fiBPTXPy44— Molly Doroba (@lilderbs3) September 18, 2018
Little scarf? Would love to see what @LennyKravitz would consider a big scarf 😂 and more importantly, how big are his blankets???— Kelsey Docken (@DykstraKelsey) September 18, 2018
can’t wait til it gets colder so I can really start dressin’ pic.twitter.com/NCWknpkK9h— Sarah McGonagall (@sarahmcgbeauty) September 16, 2018
And maybe they always will be. Sorry, dude. It is hilarious.
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.