- Amazon says police can hold on to Ring videos indefinitely 1 Year Ago
- Henry Cavill on the prospect of playing Superman again: ‘the cape is still in the closet’ 1 Year Ago
- Why does Pete Buttigieg always tweet ‘buh’? 1 Year Ago
- Noah Hawley will direct the next ‘Star Trek’ movie starring Chris Pine Today 8:51 AM
- Vidgo is a streaming bonanza of live sports Today 8:40 AM
- Reap the benefits of CBD with these organic CBD tinctures Today 8:17 AM
- How to stream Hulu in 4K Today 7:12 AM
- The far-right is mobilizing to get Roger Stone pardoned Today 7:00 AM
- Artist Yumi Sakugawa uses Instagram to tackle creative shame Today 6:00 AM
- Is that Rosa Parks in random Twitter user’s baby photo? Tuesday 8:24 PM
- Syracuse students say white supremacist manifesto was AirDropped to them Tuesday 7:44 PM
- Florida woman gets prison time for throwing slushie at Matt Gaetz Tuesday 6:28 PM
- Marie Kondo’s online store slammed for selling clutter-worthy products Tuesday 5:34 PM
- People are rallying against toxic masculinity on International Men’s Day Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Reddit wants to stop its pro-Trump forum from outing the alleged whistleblower Tuesday 3:38 PM
In 2012, singer Lenny Kravitz donned a knit scarf while out and about. It was a little cold outside, and the “Fly Away” rocker needed to wear something to keep himself warm. He selected a scarf—but not just any scarf. He chose an absolutely massive one.
The internet has been mocking him for the sheer size of the accessory ever since.
I need a new throw for my sofa, anyone know where Lenny Kravitz got his scarf ?— Tiffany Stevenson (@tiffstevenson) November 25, 2014
If only Lenny Kravitz could find a bigger scarf.. pic.twitter.com/pwWxx6Xrt8— Ben Atkinson (@BenAtkinsonUK) November 22, 2014
But what was the story behind that big old thing, anyway? Gather ’round, internet, because there’s a whole backstory. Kravitz recently appeared on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, and his infamous scarf came up as a topic of discussion. Kravitz spilled the beans on the fateful day he decided to go out wearing the rug-like scarf.
“I cannot escape this, brother!” Kravitz joked when Jimmy Fallon brought up the “thing he saw recently on the internet” about the singer and actor. It turned out to be the scarf photo.
“I was buying some groceries, and I thought I’d put on a little scarf to protect my throat, and that’s the scarf I had,” Kravitz explained. Noting that he’s “used to hot weather,” he picked out the scarf and thought nothing of deciding to wear it.
“But Lenny, this is not a scarf, this is a blanket,” Fallon said, laughing. He’s not wrong. “Dude, there’s no way. What is this? Come on, man. That is insane.”
Kravitz tried to shift the blame to the garment’s designer.
“The guy who made that scarf, who you can blame that on, he made that scarf and he gave it to me,” he said. “That was the day I thought I’d break it out. I had no idea there’d be paparazzi.”
The two shared raucous laughter as Fallon showed Photoshopped versions of Kravitz’s scarf photo. It’s so large it almost completely engulfs him in some images, which only makes it funnier.
“Here’s the thing about the internet, though,” Kravitz said. “That’s the problem. That’s the size of the scarf, but the scarf keeps getting bigger and bigger.” He may not find it as funny as the rest of the internet, but the meme has already withstood the test of time.
*Lenny Kravitz update* Lenny decides his old scarf was too small.— Stuart Bache (@stuartbache) November 25, 2014
(Sorry, I just had to do this): pic.twitter.com/kagdGe8K55
Years later, people are still laughing.
I know Lenny Kravitz scarf day is not until November, but I really feel like I need it today pic.twitter.com/0gPht3PoIx— Rosamund Dean (@RosamundDean) September 14, 2018
it’s almost Lenny Kravitz Gets Eaten By His Scarf season !!! pic.twitter.com/fiBPTXPy44— Molly Doroba (@lilderbs3) September 18, 2018
Little scarf? Would love to see what @LennyKravitz would consider a big scarf 😂 and more importantly, how big are his blankets???— Kelsey Docken (@DykstraKelsey) September 18, 2018
can’t wait til it gets colder so I can really start dressin’ pic.twitter.com/NCWknpkK9h— Sarah McGonagall (@sarahmcgbeauty) September 16, 2018
And maybe they always will be. Sorry, dude. It is hilarious.
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.