- NRA calls Beto O’Rourke ‘AR-15 salesman of the month’ in wake of buyback proposal 11 Months Ago
- After 23 deaths, Sean Bean is tired of getting killed on-screen 11 Months Ago
- Stephen Miller has a girlfriend—and people are stunned 11 Months Ago
- Mickey Rourke says Robert De Niro iced him out of ‘The Irishman’ Today 11:07 AM
- Conservative men are melting down over Elizabeth Warren’s speech Today 10:40 AM
- People are calling rapper Tekashi 69 a ‘snitch’ for outing gang members Today 10:16 AM
- Greta Thunberg tells Congress to ‘listen to the scientists’ about climate crisis Today 9:55 AM
- Maybe we should start taking Tom DeLonge seriously about UFOs Today 9:11 AM
- Get ready to argue about the alternate-history politics of HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ Today 8:53 AM
- Third instance of Justin Trudeau wearing racist makeup emerges after he apologized for first 2 Today 8:45 AM
- 6 must-watch college football games to stream this weekend Today 8:12 AM
- What is the Hinge dating app, and how does it work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Inside Bill’s Brain’ is nothing more than a Bill Gates infomercial Today 6:30 AM
- Swipe This! He hasn’t texted me back. Should I text him again? Today 6:00 AM
- New Loch Ness monster video may just confirm giant eel theory Wednesday 8:04 PM
Lady Gaga reveals her secret gamer identity with ‘Bayonetta’ tweet
She’s a free witch, baby.
Lady Gaga: Iconic pop star, Hollywood actress, and queen of rocking pink cowboy hats. You know her, you love her, and you wonder how she could possibly get more talented. She’s even inspired tons of memes, many revolving around her dazzling performance in A Star is Born.
Now we can add one more ability to her seemingly never-ending list of interests: Gaming.
When you beat Chapter IV of Bayonetta and then realize Chapter V is going to kick your ass ☠️😂 secret #gamergirl THE SHADOW REMAINS TOUGH!!!!!!— Lady Gaga (@ladygaga) November 4, 2018
On Saturday, Gaga tweeted a relatable message about playing the 2009 PlatinumGames hack-and-slash game Bayonetta. “When you beat Chapter IV of Bayonetta and then realize Chapter V is going to kick your ass,” she lamented with a skull-and-crossbones emoji and teary laughing face emoji. She added the hashtag #gamergirl and “THE SHADOW REMAINS TOUGH!!!!!” with plenty of exclamation points for good measure.
So, for the “shadow remains tough” bit, that’s actually incorrect. Gaga, we love you and all, but the voice is saying “The shadow remains cast.” It does sound a bit like “tough,” though. The voiceover happens when, after you decide to continue after falling in battle, you confirm “Yes” at the “Continue?” screen.
Bayonetta is a gorgeous and frenetic action game where players take on the role of the titular character, an Umbra Witch, who actually has quite a bit in common with Mother Monster. The two are sexy, theatrical, and sometimes over-the-top, so it’s perfect that Bayonetta is the game Gaga chose to tweet about playing to her fans.
Nintendo was quick to get on the Gaga gaming train, with words of encouragement from the official Nintendo of America Twitter account.
You got this! 🙌🏻— Nintendo of America (@NintendoAmerica) November 4, 2018
With a vote of confidence from Nintendo, you can do just about anything. And given the fact that its official U.S. account replied to her, Nintendo must have assumed she was playing the port of the original Bayonetta on Nintendo Switch instead of on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 4.
But while Gaga vanquished Bayonetta’s Chapter IV, the real winners here, as we can likely all agree, were the fans. The memes flowed in immediately.
Lady gaga x Nintendo confirmed— Fallout 76 Hype (@GetRektMeme) November 4, 2018
Now.. all Lady Gaga has to do... Is cosplay Bayonetta. On stage. Live.— Ahmad Faizal | Concrete Beach Party (@Ahmad_Faizal_D) November 4, 2018
She hasn't been far off already but it's probably not something you had in mind lmao pic.twitter.com/OkGRiNbiVu— Born A Free Bitch (@Gagamonster1189) November 4, 2018
Someone get her do the Bayonetta 3’s theme song, @NintendoAmerica.— 𝗦𝗤𝗨𝗔𝗥𝗘 𝗣𝗢𝗥𝗧𝗔𝗟 (@Square_Portal) November 4, 2018
Play Read Dead Redemption 2, you can ride horses!— TealSlut (@TealSlut) November 4, 2018
You're so much more of my fucking queen now!! ♡— MrDarkPhoenix™ (@MrDarkPhoenix) November 4, 2018
WE STAN SO HARD— Life Size 2 The Polls (@salmattos) November 4, 2018
This is the greatest day of my life pic.twitter.com/d8W08XtlGh— Jesse Patterson (@JBootyfulChest) November 4, 2018
Oh my! Gaga gets how fabulous my girl is. Hope you like my art of her 😜✨https://t.co/r1ndlqwlOo— 🇨🇦 Queen Riot! ➡️ Twitchcon (@AshleyRiotArt) November 4, 2018
You can do it! finish that game Gaga and then you should start Bayonneta 2, which is more amazing!— Sergio-EL (@sergioees) November 4, 2018
ps. I love to play videogames while I listen to your songs lol. 😎 pic.twitter.com/iASdEqIPnh
she only plays to the best videogames pic.twitter.com/l27E364lb6— Laro (@Laro_99) November 5, 2018
Queens supporting queens— The Haunting of ThrillHo (@BraveArcanine) November 4, 2018
Queen of gaming too??? Oh wow— gaga~ (@heavyartpoplove) November 4, 2018
Lady Gaga playing Bayonetta makes so much fucking sense, it’s awesome. Be sure to play the sequel too! Both are really good— RenegadeIV (@Renegade_IV) November 4, 2018
Can’t believe Gaga is a Gamer cry 😭 I love her even more!!! Stream it girl!!! We wanna see those combos!!!! *Plays Fly me to the Moon and Moon River* pic.twitter.com/cTxIa6Jh9E— Anibal (@joachm92) November 4, 2018
Two queens pic.twitter.com/YvWTwTs1ma— Jess (@Jessthequiet) November 4, 2018
What more can we say? Gaga’s a legend, and of course she’s a Bayonetta fan.
girl i pic.twitter.com/hNJPL7fgRg— pop/star (@CaptainZack_) November 4, 2018
We stan a gaming pop queen.
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.