- Cardi B says she drugged, robbed men in her past on Instagram Live Monday 8:03 PM
- Twitter thread roasts bathtub tray ads for women Monday 7:21 PM
- Nintendo set to release two new models of the Switch—possibly in 2019 Monday 6:45 PM
- Viral cat video ‘Dear Kitten’ finds new life in TikTok challenge Monday 5:30 PM
- Here’s every show that was announced at the Apple TV+ kickoff Monday 3:53 PM
- ‘Shazam!’ embraces the spectacle and heart of the superhero genre Monday 3:45 PM
- How to mute Twitter’s suggested tweets on your timeline Monday 3:02 PM
- What you need to know about Apple’s new streaming service Monday 2:32 PM
- Text-message fanfiction is taking over Instagram Monday 1:54 PM
- Your Asus computer might have a secret backdoor Monday 1:06 PM
- Trump is already fundraising off the Mueller report—even though no one’s seen it Monday 1:01 PM
- Michael Avenatti charged with trying to extort $20 million from Nike Monday 12:51 PM
- Logan Paul says being a YouTuber is ‘wack’ Monday 12:14 PM
- James Comey posts from a forest in wake of Mueller report Monday 10:35 AM
- These are the only online dating sites worth your time Monday 10:29 AM
‘This looks like a crime scene.’
Earlier this week, Kim Kardashian—always a huge supporter of her husband Kanye West’s various endeavors—tweeted a photo of herself modeling the new Butter 350 sneakers from his Yeezy line. Which sounds reasonable enough, but because this couple can’t ever do anything normal, she posed for this photo in the most horrifically awkward way possible.
Clad only in the Yeezys, a grey sports bra, and matching thong, Kardashian sprawled awkwardly on her back lying on a bed covered in white linens.
— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) August 6, 2018
Is … Is she okay? (Kim, blink once for yes, and I guess zero times for no.)
If the first thought that comes to mind is that this looks like a crime scene photo, you’re not alone. Others, on the other hand, thought that the pose resembled more those ’90s “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up” Life Alert commercials or, say, a game of Twister.
As such, it wasn’t before long that Kardashian’s photo became a full-blown meme.
— Alice Tew (@BuckinghamAlice) August 6, 2018
This looks like a crime scene https://t.co/kppNtuKjmQ
— Ragnarok Lobster (@eclecticbrotha) August 6, 2018
— Adam Markajani✏️ (@ADAMATION) August 6, 2018
— Sky Zaddy ⚡️ (@BlvdeBrown) August 6, 2018
This looks like a broken RealDoll. https://t.co/Y5HxyLn5ux
— cvalda (@fuelbot) August 7, 2018
A few other people made the same Toy Story joke:
toys when Andy walked in the room pic.twitter.com/fnaTdWJy7K
— troyyxy (@Troyavision) August 6, 2018
"Andy's coming!" pic.twitter.com/ZiWgaaxtm8
— AngelTFC (@AngeITFC) August 6, 2018
Some people couldn’t help noticing that the timing of the photo was particularly suspicious, given that it was on the same day that Beyonce and Rihanna’s covers were unveiled for Vogue and British Vogue, respectively.
*Everyone talking about Rihanna and Beyoncé and their Vogue covers*
Kim K: "Like butter." pic.twitter.com/yaSNvtLXEs
— Quenchi (@MrQuenchiAdams) August 6, 2018
Kim sweetie just log off for the day. Today is about BEYONCE and Vogue. We can promote your husband another days. Thanx hun
— VogueChild (@Mavura123) August 6, 2018
LMFAO EVERYTIME BEY GETS A LITTLE SPOTLIGHT😂😂😂 pic.twitter.com/2fVLNsYovD
— 💙 (@UhIThinkTfKnot) August 6, 2018
That "Beyonce" Google alert went off, we see https://t.co/nYVk9SmFBN
— Bossip (@Bossip) August 6, 2018
Who are we kidding, though? The Kardashians are ninja-level masters of PR. Nobody was gonna talk about some boring normal photo of Kim wearing her husband’s Yeezys if she didn’t look like a cadaver, and it appears that the strategy has paid off.
Well played, Kim. Well played indeed.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.