- Mom calls cops on son who can’t get ready for school on time Tuesday 11:19 PM
- Tinder exec fired after involvement in lawsuit alleging sexual assault Tuesday 10:48 PM
- Woman matches on Tinder with LaCroix thief—and his victim Tuesday 7:38 PM
- U.K. police will have to disclose documents about WikiLeaks journalists Tuesday 6:37 PM
- Backpack Kid sues Fortnite developer over flossing emote Tuesday 5:38 PM
- Conservatives rage at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s ‘week of self-care’ Tuesday 4:02 PM
- 2 inflatable snowmen fought in front of a combo KFC/Taco Bell Tuesday 2:47 PM
- How to watch the Boca Raton Bowl online for free Tuesday 2:43 PM
- DAZN KOs YouTube, Snapchat as (temporarily) the most downloaded app Tuesday 1:57 PM
- AT&T says it’s rolling out 5G service this week Tuesday 1:03 PM
- NY state senator tells woman staffer ‘Kill yourself!’ in a tweet Tuesday 12:54 PM
- This Lil Jon-Kool-Aid Man Christmas jam is as extra as you’d expect Tuesday 12:13 PM
- YouTube stars say unfair copyright claims are making their lives hell Tuesday 12:12 PM
- UPS deletes tweet about shredding letters to North Pole after huge backlash Tuesday 11:21 AM
- Viral petition leads to revised Holland Tunnel Christmas decor Tuesday 11:10 AM
‘This looks like a crime scene.’
Earlier this week, Kim Kardashian—always a huge supporter of her husband Kanye West’s various endeavors—tweeted a photo of herself modeling the new Butter 350 sneakers from his Yeezy line. Which sounds reasonable enough, but because this couple can’t ever do anything normal, she posed for this photo in the most horrifically awkward way possible.
Clad only in the Yeezys, a grey sports bra, and matching thong, Kardashian sprawled awkwardly on her back lying on a bed covered in white linens.
— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) August 6, 2018
Is … Is she okay? (Kim, blink once for yes, and I guess zero times for no.)
If the first thought that comes to mind is that this looks like a crime scene photo, you’re not alone. Others, on the other hand, thought that the pose resembled more those ’90s “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up” Life Alert commercials or, say, a game of Twister.
As such, it wasn’t before long that Kardashian’s photo became a full-blown meme.
— Alice Tew (@BuckinghamAlice) August 6, 2018
This looks like a crime scene https://t.co/kppNtuKjmQ
— Ragnarok Lobster (@eclecticbrotha) August 6, 2018
— Adam Markajani✏️ (@ADAMATION) August 6, 2018
— Sky Zaddy ⚡️ (@BlvdeBrown) August 6, 2018
This looks like a broken RealDoll. https://t.co/Y5HxyLn5ux
— cvalda (@fuelbot) August 7, 2018
A few other people made the same Toy Story joke:
toys when Andy walked in the room pic.twitter.com/fnaTdWJy7K
— troyyxy (@Troyavision) August 6, 2018
"Andy's coming!" pic.twitter.com/ZiWgaaxtm8
— AngelTFC (@AngeITFC) August 6, 2018
Some people couldn’t help noticing that the timing of the photo was particularly suspicious, given that it was on the same day that Beyonce and Rihanna’s covers were unveiled for Vogue and British Vogue, respectively.
*Everyone talking about Rihanna and Beyoncé and their Vogue covers*
Kim K: "Like butter." pic.twitter.com/yaSNvtLXEs
— Quenchi (@MrQuenchiAdams) August 6, 2018
Kim sweetie just log off for the day. Today is about BEYONCE and Vogue. We can promote your husband another days. Thanx hun
— VogueChild (@Mavura123) August 6, 2018
LMFAO EVERYTIME BEY GETS A LITTLE SPOTLIGHT😂😂😂 pic.twitter.com/2fVLNsYovD
— Boo Boo the Foo (@UhIThinkTfKnot) August 6, 2018
That "Beyonce" Google alert went off, we see https://t.co/nYVk9SmFBN
— Bossip (@Bossip) August 6, 2018
Who are we kidding, though? The Kardashians are ninja-level masters of PR. Nobody was gonna talk about some boring normal photo of Kim wearing her husband’s Yeezys if she didn’t look like a cadaver, and it appears that the strategy has paid off.
Well played, Kim. Well played indeed.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.