- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
- Net neutrality advocates ask for rehearing on federal court decision Friday 2:29 PM
- Americans are sharing their #PrivateHealthLIFEhacks to help Brits Friday 2:28 PM
- Warren, Sanders, Yang pledge to skip next week’s debate over union dispute Friday 2:12 PM
- How to watch tonight’s Nets vs. Raptors matchup on NBA TV Friday 2:00 PM
- Alt-right comedian Owen Benjamin banned from Instagram over anti-Semitic memes Friday 1:55 PM
- TikTok teens are procrastinating with #FinalsWeek Friday 1:46 PM
- ‘The Mandalorian’ takes on a prison break in episode 6 Friday 1:30 PM
- Nick Cannon vs. Eminem battle expected to escalate after ‘off-limits’ daughter diss Friday 12:50 PM
- Laura Loomer vehemently denies being author of new Laura Loomer-themed action novel Friday 12:30 PM
- PewDiePie’s poop-inspired game gets banned by Apple Friday 11:29 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ showrunners to adapt ‘Lovecraft’ graphic novel to screen Friday 11:00 AM
- The 50 memes that defined the decade Friday 10:45 AM
- Venmo users are getting harassed with fraudulent payment requests Friday 10:38 AM
President Donald Trump on Wednesday tweeted what may be the most cursed image of the year: It’s a photo of him smiling at his Oval Office desk with a solemn Kim Kardashian West at his side. The internet is horrified and coping with jokes, of course.
“Great meeting with @KimKardashian today, talked about prison reform and sentencing,” the president wrote.
Kardashian’s White House visit was anticipated. She had been planning to meet with Trump and other officials, including Jared Kushner, to discuss prison reform and ask for the pardon of a 62-year-old woman in jail.
I see the summit with Kim is back on... https://t.co/8rQOL47tfB— Iain Dale (@IainDale) May 30, 2018
KIM KARDASHIAN'S COMING OVER DON'T TELL JEFF SESSIONS I WANT TO MAKE HER THE NEW ATTORNEY GENERAL ALSO HAVE YOU SEEN MELANIE? pic.twitter.com/BryvoLwRlR— Karen DaltonBeninato (@kbeninato) May 30, 2018
What wasn’t anticipated was the photo that came out of the Kardashian-Trump meet up.
They look like the Addams Family.— Gigi C (@reggiecunico1) May 31, 2018
Daily Beast writer and critic Ira Madison III pointed out an intriguing coincidence: Kardashian’s appearance with Trump comes on the 20th day that first lady Melania Trump has been absent from the public eye.
Amid many conspiracy theories, the Kardashian photo brings up a new one: Has she been replaced?
“You are Melania now.” pic.twitter.com/5Mph6ghcH8— Ira (@ira) May 30, 2018
Of course, there were many other jokes made about a famous reality star discussing prison reform with another famous reality star who just happens to be president, because that’s the only way to digest the hellish reality the photo represents.
Ofdonald— Adam Mincks (@RufusOverYrHead) May 30, 2018
There’s at least a ten percent chance Donald Trump is meeting with Kim Kardashian because he thinks she’s the leader of North Korea.— Palmer Report (@PalmerReport) May 30, 2018
“So, here’s the pitch. It’s a fish out of water story but get this, he’s the president and we have Donald Trump play him. And then, here’s the kicker we have Kim Kardashian play his sassy but still incompetent Chief of staff. It’s like Veep meets The Purge.” pic.twitter.com/3EO9V87vAL— Molly Jong-Fast (@MollyJongFast) May 30, 2018
Even beyond the dystopian implications, there were other questions about the photo. For example, what’s up with Kardashian’s pants?
And when’s the beauty line dropping?
Donald is wearing KKW Beauty foundation in Nonsensical Screaming Papaya and Kim is sporting creme lipstick in Kanye We Need to Talk pic.twitter.com/zYqZPUK8ka— kyla (@whatkyIasaid) May 30, 2018
But here’s the biggest question: Why didn’t any of us see this coming?
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.