- What is “TikTok including Musical.ly”? Tuesday 8:48 PM
- Video shows driver yelling N-word at Black woman in road rage incident Tuesday 7:40 PM
- A fan gifted Billie Eilish a jacket–it ended up in a thrift store for another fan to find Tuesday 6:49 PM
- Fans are surprisingly hyping Moby up for his new vegan tattoo Tuesday 6:13 PM
- Suspicionless searches of travelers’ electronics ruled unconstitutional Tuesday 5:22 PM
- Facebook testing TikTok clone within Instagram called Reels Tuesday 5:11 PM
- Han Solo shooting scene changed yet again, spawning ‘Maclunkey’ memes Tuesday 4:52 PM
- Facebook bug opened iPhone cameras while users scrolled their feeds Tuesday 4:36 PM
- Black Facebook employees say company racism has ‘gotten worse’ Tuesday 4:01 PM
- This fish with a ‘human face’ is here to give you nightmares Tuesday 3:28 PM
- TikTok’s piercing challenge leaves the fate of your face up to a filter Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Soldiers with top-secret clearance say they were ordered to install a sketchy app Tuesday 2:46 PM
- How to take your Korean beauty routine on the go Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Disney+’s ‘Encore!’ is a love letter to high school theater Tuesday 2:15 PM
- White tourist filmed shouting homophobic, racist slurs Tuesday 1:31 PM
Get mixed up in Justin Hager’s pop culture mashup art
How one single-serving Tumblr brings together the oddest of bedfellows.
In a parallel universe somewhere, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony have ditched their footwear in favor of cozy Australian boots, Lil Wayne is the third host on a late-night cable access show in Illinois, and Pee-wee Herman has partnered with Sanrio for the ultimate children’s entertainment monopoly.
Welcome to Justin Hager’s world.
The San Francisco-based artist takes two icons from television, music, and film, and mashes them together to create hilarious one-liners in drawing form. He hosts the images on his eponymous single-serving Tumblr.
A member of the art collective and design firm The Rip Off Artist, Hager has also developed a local following in San Francisco thanks in large part to art shows held at Four Barrel Coffee, Public Barber Salon, and most recently, the Benny Gold flagship store.
But his work has gotten broader attention recently thanks to this clever drawing, reblogged by both Grammy-winning singer Frank Ocean and Pitchfork to the tune of 9,000 notes.
Below, we’ve compiled 15 of our favorite puntastic pop culture mashups from Hager’s extensive archive, which contains more than 100 visual portmanteaus.
1) Alf Bundy
2) Puff the Magic Daddy
3) Kris Krosstofferson
4) Dig Dug E Fresh
5) Missy Elliott Smith
8) Little Richard Ramirez
9) Bread Savage
10) Zack Morrissey
11) Danzig with Wolves
12) Spin Dr. Dre
13) Snoop Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
15) Arsenio Hall & Oats
Photo via Justin Hager/Tumblr
Fidel Martinez is a web culture and politics reporter. His work for the Daily Dot focused on Reddit and YouTube.