- BTS’ RM says he’s lost 33 AirPods 7 Years Ago
- Taylor Swift’s ‘hyper-realistic’ cat cake is scaring fans Today 3:03 PM
- Nick Cannon is reportedly playing his Eminem diss track on repeat Today 1:20 PM
- College quarterback blasted by ex-girlfriend in savage AF breakup TikTok Today 12:27 PM
- Hallmark pulls ad featuring lesbian couple after conservative protest Today 11:27 AM
- Actress’ tweet calling out fellow passenger for not moving seats backfires Today 10:43 AM
- The 10 most influential hashtags of the decade Today 6:30 AM
- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
Get mixed up in Justin Hager’s pop culture mashup art
How one single-serving Tumblr brings together the oddest of bedfellows.
In a parallel universe somewhere, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony have ditched their footwear in favor of cozy Australian boots, Lil Wayne is the third host on a late-night cable access show in Illinois, and Pee-wee Herman has partnered with Sanrio for the ultimate children’s entertainment monopoly.
Welcome to Justin Hager’s world.
The San Francisco-based artist takes two icons from television, music, and film, and mashes them together to create hilarious one-liners in drawing form. He hosts the images on his eponymous single-serving Tumblr.
A member of the art collective and design firm The Rip Off Artist, Hager has also developed a local following in San Francisco thanks in large part to art shows held at Four Barrel Coffee, Public Barber Salon, and most recently, the Benny Gold flagship store.
But his work has gotten broader attention recently thanks to this clever drawing, reblogged by both Grammy-winning singer Frank Ocean and Pitchfork to the tune of 9,000 notes.
Below, we’ve compiled 15 of our favorite puntastic pop culture mashups from Hager’s extensive archive, which contains more than 100 visual portmanteaus.
1) Alf Bundy
2) Puff the Magic Daddy
3) Kris Krosstofferson
4) Dig Dug E Fresh
5) Missy Elliott Smith
8) Little Richard Ramirez
9) Bread Savage
10) Zack Morrissey
11) Danzig with Wolves
12) Spin Dr. Dre
13) Snoop Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
15) Arsenio Hall & Oats
Photo via Justin Hager/Tumblr
Fidel Martinez is a web culture and politics reporter. His work for the Daily Dot focused on Reddit and YouTube.