- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored 2 Years Ago
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers 2 Years Ago
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Today 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Today 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Today 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Today 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Today 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Today 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Today 10:34 AM
- Did Martha McSally plan her ‘liberal hack’ viral moment? Today 10:32 AM
- Trump adds Jeffrey Epstein’s old attorney to impeachment team Today 10:03 AM
- YouTube star Cameron Dallas gets scathing reviews for his Broadway debut Today 9:58 AM
- How to watch ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ season 10 Today 9:55 AM
- George Lucas met Baby Yoda, and we can’t handle it Today 8:45 AM
- Apple TV+’s ‘Little America’ shines a light on immigrant stories Today 8:00 AM
It did not, by all accounts, go very well.
But don’t take anyone else’s word for it—just watch the despondent, hollow stare of Trump’s new chief of staff, retired Gen. John Kelly, who took the job just two weeks ago. Many expected him to be a disciplinarian, able to keep Trump and the rest of a chaotic West Wing on message.
It appears he’s yet to achieve that goal.
Does that need the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme? A lot of people felt it needed the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme.
Okay, here it is with the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme.
And here’s a longer version, this time with Trump’s words and the Curb theme.
Lemme just drop this masterpiece here https://t.co/zdvj5t7Ait— JonJon (@saltontheside) August 16, 2017
But it wasn’t just a Larry David moment for Kelly. Some actually thought they were watching the poor man’s soul being crushed in real time.
As a friend put it, it's interesting watching the moment a man's soul actually leaves his body. https://t.co/DX2ChrMvWb— Mary Beth Williams (@embeedub) August 16, 2017
Everything. Trump. Touches. Dies. https://t.co/5MDoJARErY— Nunca Trump (@NeverTrumpTexan) August 16, 2017
There was also a plea for some Talking Heads.
"You may say to yourself -- My God! What have I done?'" https://t.co/WbTDbwtYb1— Oliver Morton (@Eaterofsun) August 16, 2017
It’s pretty perfect with some Simon & Garfunkel.
Gen. Kelly watching that press conference pic.twitter.com/GGlazd8cen— Josh Billinson (@jbillinson) August 15, 2017
But then again, maybe we are all getting it wrong.
Dude eagerly implemented a Muslim ban and deported moms. I think people are reading too much into this. https://t.co/whDGYwYQSw— LOLGOP (@LOLGOP) August 16, 2017
This being Trump, we’ll find out soon enough where Kelly stands after Tuesday.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]