- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Saturday 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
It did not, by all accounts, go very well.
But don’t take anyone else’s word for it—just watch the despondent, hollow stare of Trump’s new chief of staff, retired Gen. John Kelly, who took the job just two weeks ago. Many expected him to be a disciplinarian, able to keep Trump and the rest of a chaotic West Wing on message.
It appears he’s yet to achieve that goal.
Does that need the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme? A lot of people felt it needed the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme.
Okay, here it is with the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme.
And here’s a longer version, this time with Trump’s words and the Curb theme.
Lemme just drop this masterpiece here https://t.co/zdvj5t7Ait— JonJon (@saltontheside) August 16, 2017
But it wasn’t just a Larry David moment for Kelly. Some actually thought they were watching the poor man’s soul being crushed in real time.
As a friend put it, it's interesting watching the moment a man's soul actually leaves his body. https://t.co/DX2ChrMvWb— Mary Beth Williams (@embeedub) August 16, 2017
Everything. Trump. Touches. Dies. https://t.co/5MDoJARErY— Nunca Trump (@NeverTrumpTexan) August 16, 2017
There was also a plea for some Talking Heads.
"You may say to yourself -- My God! What have I done?'" https://t.co/WbTDbwtYb1— Oliver Morton (@Eaterofsun) August 16, 2017
It’s pretty perfect with some Simon & Garfunkel.
Gen. Kelly watching that press conference pic.twitter.com/GGlazd8cen— Josh Billinson (@jbillinson) August 15, 2017
But then again, maybe we are all getting it wrong.
Dude eagerly implemented a Muslim ban and deported moms. I think people are reading too much into this. https://t.co/whDGYwYQSw— LOLGOP (@LOLGOP) August 16, 2017
This being Trump, we’ll find out soon enough where Kelly stands after Tuesday.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]