- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
- Influencer accuses Lisa Frank of stealing apartment design, says that’s why she’s getting evicted Monday 6:12 PM
- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter Monday 4:08 PM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Monday 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Monday 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Monday 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Monday 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Monday 3:03 PM
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Monday 2:46 PM
- Pro-Trump meme comedian Carpe Donktum suspended by Twitter (updated) Monday 1:35 PM
- Here are all of the Disney+ titles available to stream at launch Monday 12:52 PM
- Rumor: Apple to release $399 iPhone SE follow-up next year Monday 12:44 PM
- Sulli, K-pop star who spoke against cyberbullying, dead at 25 Monday 12:37 PM
- The latest front in Turkey’s digital war against the Kurds? Google reviews Monday 12:19 PM
- Slow iPhone got you down? Here’s how to speed it back up Monday 11:49 AM
Helen Mirren and Jason Momoa presented the Oscar for best documentary feature onstage at the 91st Annual Academy Awards, both wearing similar hues. While the Dame went for a stunning, flowery pink A-line Schiaparelli Haute Couture floor-length gown in a flowy fabric, Momoa opted for a light millennial pink velvet tuxedo by Karl Lagerfeld (RIP).
“Honestly, I swear to god, Jason and I did not coordinate our outfits tonight, this is purely accidental,” quipped Mirren onstage. “But you know, it just goes to show, doesn’t it, that these days, a Hawaiian god and a very mature English woman can actually wear the same color—we can both wear pink.”
The award ultimately went to Free Solo, the film that follows the death-defying journey of rock climber Alex Honnold, who scaled the El Capitan rock formation in Yosemite National Park without the use of a harness or safety ropes.
That’s not what got people talking, however, because in addition to coordinating his outfit with his lovely wife, Lisa Bonet, Momoa paired his lewk with a matching pink scrunchie. Once a staple of teen ’90s fashion, the accessory now lends itself perfectly acceptable to tame the flowing tresses of none other than Aquaman himself.
It takes a real man to be comfortable enough with his masculinity to bring a scrunchie to the most prestigious film awards ceremony in the world, and suffice to say people were definitely into it.
always match the scrunchie to the suit pic.twitter.com/UWLLwXm8UE— Noah Johnson (@noahvjohnson) February 25, 2019
It's come to my attention that Jason has a matching velvet mauve scrunchie around his wrist...... Fendi thinks of everything pic.twitter.com/t4nh9ry9i9— GQ Magazine (@GQMagazine) February 25, 2019
Although the scrunchie in itself is pretty impressive, nobody even though to mention the likewise coordinating pink clutch. What Momoa even needs to carry with him in a man-purse is regardless, as we shouldn’t question a clearly burgeoning style icon.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.