- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in August 2019 Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ creators drop out of Comic-Con at last minute Today 6:38 AM
- Inside Britt McHenry’s war on women Today 6:30 AM
- The glorious highs and unexpected quirks of 4K streaming Today 6:00 AM
- Southwest Airlines passengers receive free Nintendo Switch consoles and Mario Maker 2 Wednesday 9:10 PM
- The Deplorable Choir drops diss track aimed at 4 congresswomen from Trump’s racist tweets Wednesday 8:09 PM
- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
Helen Mirren and Jason Momoa presented the Oscar for best documentary feature onstage at the 91st Annual Academy Awards, both wearing similar hues. While the Dame went for a stunning, flowery pink A-line Schiaparelli Haute Couture floor-length gown in a flowy fabric, Momoa opted for a light millennial pink velvet tuxedo by Karl Lagerfeld (RIP).
“Honestly, I swear to god, Jason and I did not coordinate our outfits tonight, this is purely accidental,” quipped Mirren onstage. “But you know, it just goes to show, doesn’t it, that these days, a Hawaiian god and a very mature English woman can actually wear the same color—we can both wear pink.”
The award ultimately went to Free Solo, the film that follows the death-defying journey of rock climber Alex Honnold, who scaled the El Capitan rock formation in Yosemite National Park without the use of a harness or safety ropes.
That’s not what got people talking, however, because in addition to coordinating his outfit with his lovely wife, Lisa Bonet, Momoa paired his lewk with a matching pink scrunchie. Once a staple of teen ’90s fashion, the accessory now lends itself perfectly acceptable to tame the flowing tresses of none other than Aquaman himself.
It takes a real man to be comfortable enough with his masculinity to bring a scrunchie to the most prestigious film awards ceremony in the world, and suffice to say people were definitely into it.
always match the scrunchie to the suit pic.twitter.com/UWLLwXm8UE— Noah Johnson (@noahvjohnson) February 25, 2019
It's come to my attention that Jason has a matching velvet mauve scrunchie around his wrist...... Fendi thinks of everything pic.twitter.com/t4nh9ry9i9— GQ Magazine (@GQMagazine) February 25, 2019
Although the scrunchie in itself is pretty impressive, nobody even though to mention the likewise coordinating pink clutch. What Momoa even needs to carry with him in a man-purse is regardless, as we shouldn’t question a clearly burgeoning style icon.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.