- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
These memes will leave you feline good.
Happy International Cat Day, internet. We hope you’ve brought your finest felines to share on Instagram and make excuses for when they knock stuff off the table.
To the surprise of no one who’s been alive at any point in the last 20 years, cats absolutely dominate the internet. So to celebrate International Cat Day, we’ve rounded up some of the best memes (both old and new) for you to apurrrciate.
This first one comes courtesy of the video game Rainbow Six Siege, developed by Ubisoft. It’s a fast-paced tactical shooter that pits criminals against SWAT members, both of whom have plenty of wall-breaching tech to blast the other side with. I’m particularly fond of the kitten sleeping in the bomb defusing bag.
Speaking of Ubisoft, their most popular franchise, Assassin’s Creed, hasn’t escaped the world of cats, either. The Ubisoft UK team put together this humorous video of cats leaping around like the titular assassins before sneaking up on unsuspecting soldiers. As if I needed another reason to fear those claws.
While the cuddliest cats might be made of fur, who says cats can’t also be made of metal and circuitry? Last month, MIT showed off a cat-like robot named “Cheetah 3” that can scale a flight of stairs with obstacles in its way. Call me when they’re getting into my bread on the top kitchen cabinet.
And if cats of neither fur nor metal are available, you can always make your own with this handy guide.
On this day of celebration, let’s not forget YouTube star Markiplier’s impeccable cat voice acting in this 2015 video.
Maybe you’re in the mood for some science and history. National Geographic has a short piece on how data is helping scientists learn more about where cats wander off to when they’re feeling adventurous.
And CNN has a video on a charming cat shrine just outside of Tokyo.
It’s been a banner year for cat stories, too. At the Daily Dot, feline highlights include a story about a man who discovered a cat and her fresh litter of kittens under his bed. There’s also the tale of Buff Cat, the extra-large cat wandering around the suburbs who spawned an equally huge fan following.
Unfortunately, not every cat post is a true one, as people found out with this fake picture of a black cat riding a goose. It’s not all bad news for black cats, though, as the hit Marvel film Black Panther reportedly spurred a wave of cat adoptions. Just please, no naming them “Meowvel.”
Finally, consider revisiting “Cat Person,” the New Yorker short story by Kristen Roupenian that’s not about an actual cat but delved into the dark side of casual dating and had thousands of people sharing their similar experiences.
So long as cats keep driving the internet, you can bet the Daily Dot will be there.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.