- Apple warns coronavirus expected to cause iPhone ‘supply shortages’ Monday 7:59 PM
- Will ‘The Bachelor’ end without an engagement? Monday 7:44 PM
- This ‘Little Women’ scene just became a meme Monday 7:03 PM
- Playable version of Blizzard’s ‘StarCraft: Ghost’ leaks online nearly 15 years after cancelation Monday 6:31 PM
- This Twitter extension can block unsolicited nudes from your inbox Monday 6:01 PM
- Jeffree Star wears cornrows after being accused of cultural appropriation Monday 4:49 PM
- Jeff Bezos says he’ll commit $10 billion to combat climate change Monday 4:18 PM
- A TikTok user went on a mission to turn his urine blue by chugging food coloring Monday 3:55 PM
- YouTuber’s vacation in ‘Bali’ was actually staged at Ikea Monday 3:14 PM
- Video shows liquor store manager calling employee ‘f*cking worthless’ Monday 1:16 PM
- Instagram influencer scams followers out of $1.5 million Monday 12:22 PM
- Why did the Israeli military tweet this thirst trap? Monday 10:43 AM
- Jake Paul wants you to have financial freedom… by paying him a monthly fee Monday 10:40 AM
- Tweets from Sanders supporters are terrifying the establishment Monday 10:15 AM
- Zuckerberg says he supports 1 bill in Congress that would regulate Facebook Monday 10:11 AM
Google defends anonymity rules
Anti-pseudonyms policy on Google+ has some social users up in arms, others offer tepid support.
A change in the Google+ policy that immediately removed people suspected of using pseudonyms from the social network was not enough to placate privacy advocates, abuse victims, artists and others who go by different names.
“Google still doesn’t get social,” Dutch information specialist Twan van Elk tweeted in response to a ReadWriteWeb article outlining the changes.
Initially, Google immediately removed users from Google+ if it suspected them of using a fake name in what the company said was an effort “to make connecting with people on the web more like connecting with people in the real world.”
Under the policy, Google will send emails to users suspected of violating the policy and give them four days to comply before the profile is removed.
“We’re listening, learning, and iterating to give our users the best experience possible,” Saurabh Sharma, a Google+ product manager, wrote in the policy change announcement. “We’re hoping that most affected users will be able to quickly fix their profile name while continuing to enjoy all that Google+ has to offer.”
The crux of the debate was perhaps best captured last month in an open letter to Google+ from Sandra Large, who has operated online for several years under the psuedonymn Technogran.
“The reason why I decided to give myself a pseudonym rather than be known by my real name are actually pretty simple. I am a female. I am also a lone parent and carer, looking after my Down’s Syndrome daughter. I am a senior citizen. As a member of society I very often feel vulnerable,” Large said. “If I say something on the Internet that someone else doesn’t agree with, I need to know that they won’t be able to find out where I live and cause me any trouble. I also want to be sure that no one can use my name via Identity theft. In other words, whilst being on and using the Internet I NEED to feel safe.”
Google was criticized for announcing the policy on the same day it released social games on Google+. Some users felt the news was buried as a result of the games announcement, but others seemed to not be bothered by the policy.
“Does it mean I’m “The Man” since I’m totally okay with Google’s “No Pseudonyms on G+” Policy?” Seattle-based writer Ubura Jones asked on Twitter.
Dave Copeland is a tech reporter whose work has appeared in the Wall Street Journal, Boston Globe, and ReadWrite. He teaches journalism at Bridgewater State University.