- Riots break out after a fake email about coronavirus went viral Thursday 8:59 PM
- Bloomberg edits debate clip to make other Democratic candidates appear speechless Thursday 7:50 PM
- Dad claims YouTube refuses to remove video of daughter’s murder Thursday 6:36 PM
- Video of Kanye leaving Kim in elevator to carry all their bags has people cackling Thursday 6:19 PM
- Orlando Bloom’s tattoo misspelled son’s name because of Pinterest Thursday 5:35 PM
- The Ahi Challenge is the latest dance taking over TikTok Thursday 4:40 PM
- Show criticized for putting rape victim in blackface to protect her identity Thursday 3:42 PM
- Woman becomes viral sensation after iconic ‘Shallow’ subway video Thursday 2:48 PM
- Prettyboyfredo tried to gift a bullied teen some $30,000 Nikes at school—he got detained Thursday 2:13 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Wedding bells and blows Thursday 1:50 PM
- A 16-year-old made a ‘meme guide’ to help her dad understand online trends Thursday 1:46 PM
- UCLA drops plans to use facial recognition after student pushback Thursday 1:07 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ recap, episode 5: ‘Stardust City Rag’ Thursday 12:56 PM
- Roger Stone sentenced to 40 months in prison Thursday 12:45 PM
- New The 1975 music video is full of memes you’ll love Thursday 12:28 PM
Water bottle flipping, a formerly useless talent, is having a moment in 2016. There was the guy who blew up his school talent show with a dramatic flip, the Olympic swimmer who flipped, and so many minor flipping incidents that someone wrote a sketch about it. We’ve called out “the best water bottle flip of 2016” numerous times, but a better flip always comes along. This time, we may truly have found the ultimate flip.
What?! How is that even possible? I suppose it could be staged, but it looks like these girls were just trying to perform a simultaneous bottle flip on the lipsync app Musical.ly, and surprised even themselves with the way things landed. Let’s see that again in GIF form:
Goddamn, goddamn. What are the chances physics would cooperate in just this way? The first bottle was already down, and there was a split second where this thing looked like a total failure—instead, it’s pretty much the only cheerful thing happening on this day of post-presidential-debate acrimony.
This is one small, pointless victory that these girls will remember for the rest of their lives.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.