- People have much love for the all-women moderator panel at the presidential debate Wednesday 10:03 PM
- Kamala Harris: Trump ‘got punked’ by North Korea Wednesday 9:53 PM
- Biden on domestic violence: We need to keep ‘punching’ Wednesday 9:47 PM
- Amy Klobuchar says she raised $17,000 from ex-boyfriends Wednesday 9:16 PM
- Trump’s campaign is a fan of Tulsi Gabbard’s attack on the Democratic party Wednesday 9:07 PM
- 50 Cent makes Instagram return with transphobic meme Wednesday 8:34 PM
- Lyft driver attacks female passenger after she refused to turn off music Wednesday 7:30 PM
- J.J. Watt posted his phone number online, wants fans to text him Wednesday 6:22 PM
- How a normal redditor becomes a conspiracy theorist Wednesday 5:48 PM
- ‘Bikram’ is not a great film, but it is a document of justice Wednesday 5:43 PM
- Congress is concerned Amazon isn’t safeguarding Ring videos Wednesday 5:40 PM
- Twitter urged to suspend Tory Party Twitter account after it ‘misled’ the public Wednesday 4:56 PM
- This former stripper has the best Humans of New York story of all time Wednesday 4:47 PM
- How to watch tonight’s 2020 Democratic debate Wednesday 4:21 PM
- ‘Dollface’ offers a narrow vision of womanhood Wednesday 3:56 PM
A viral gender reveal party brings a whole new meaning to “wig-snatching.”
On Monday morning, a Twitter user shared a video with the caption, “best gender reveal I’ve seen.” The clip shows an expecting mother popping a balloon, seemingly expecting blue or pink confetti to burst out. The video takes a turn when a woman (presumably her mother) removes her black wig to reveal blue hair underneath, signaling that the baby will be a boy.
Best gender reveal I've seen. Lmaooo pic.twitter.com/VnLAvvZfB4— Shawn 392 SRT (@mrsrt392) October 8, 2018
The unexpected twist has earned nearly 100,000 retweets and lots of humorous replies within a few hours.
No cap pic.twitter.com/1qcuCjlo4c— J u í c e (@PimpxJuice) October 8, 2018
While some called the stunt “ghetto,” because, you know, the participants are Black, others shot down that racist stereotype to say that the gender reveal is simply creative.
Many respondents even said that they might use a colorful wig for their own gender reveals.
Imagine showing your future son this video if he don’t love his grandma with all his heart I’m taking her for MYSELF— ♡boo ♡ (@BubbleTeaTia) October 8, 2018
The “it’s clear” had me pic.twitter.com/5eum9MmDax— ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ (@shayyy_johnson) October 8, 2018
At my gender reveal I want all my friends to snatch they wigs off😂😂— 3/24👑 (@_LoveMyJuicy_) October 8, 2018
If you think I’m not going to make Jenson rip a wig off to reveal another wig at our gender reveal, ya must not know me https://t.co/aF3K7P9aZK— lounugget (@lacydennies) October 8, 2018
This gender reveal is one of many that have made waves on the internet recently, including one unfortunate case that resulted in a huge wildfire. Perhaps this viral video will spark a trend in future gender reveals—as well as wig purchases.
Alexis Tatum studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She's an editorial intern with the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Orange magazine and the Daily Texan.