- In season 2, ‘Succession’ has quietly become one of the best shows on TV Sunday 9:10 PM
- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Sunday 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
Between joking about the lighting in Game of Thrones, making new dance moves based on kills, and obsessing over America’s ass, the geeky memes have been plentiful in recent days. And after a week of pop culture being dominated by Avengers and Thrones, Gamora putting on her makeup has become a surprisingly versatile addition to the meme canon.
It all began with a video of Zoe Saldana, who plays Gamora, in mostly full character makeup applying her green lipstick. She posted it to Instagram three days ago—and now it’s everywhere.
The meme quickly became a reference to all green things, not just the deadliest woman in the galaxy. Soon, everything from lettuce to pickles was getting roasted using the brief video. The joke is that Saldana is a stand-in for a green object, getting ready to do something bold or evil or funny.
“[L]ettuce getting ready to give people e coli,” quipped user @jaboukie.
My arugula-kale blend base getting ready to cost me $14 at Sweetgreen pic.twitter.com/fGNoUj63bV— dbs (@dbenderstern) May 1, 2019
lettuce getting ready to give people e coli pic.twitter.com/70bK153LxA— jaboukie (@jaboukie) May 1, 2019
My salad before I stood it up for a cheeseburger pic.twitter.com/uJfFukAmLg— Richie Loco 🏁 (@Richie_l0c0) May 1, 2019
Pickles right before getting removed from a hamburger. pic.twitter.com/JsuyW8zhNq— Jose & The Bussycats (@itsjcerm) April 30, 2019
Money getting ready to leave my bank account pic.twitter.com/APFVZD0j8Z— Matthew A. Cherry (@MatthewACherry) May 1, 2019
Saldana probably didn’t anticipate the love that her video got, but these reactions are gold. Or, should we say, green?
- Bang your favorite Avenger with this geeky sex toy collection
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ directors explain Captain America’s confusing ending
- Fan’s ‘thank you’ tweet becomes an ‘Avengers: Endgame’ meme
H/T A.V. Club
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.