- Is that Rosa Parks in random Twitter user’s baby photo? Tuesday 8:24 PM
- Syracuse students say white supremacist manifesto was AirDropped to them Tuesday 7:44 PM
- Florida woman gets prison time for throwing slushie at Matt Gaetz Tuesday 6:28 PM
- Marie Kondo’s online store slammed for selling clutter-worthy products Tuesday 5:34 PM
- People are rallying against toxic masculinity on International Men’s Day Tuesday 4:42 PM
- Reddit wants to stop its pro-Trump forum from outing the alleged whistleblower Tuesday 3:38 PM
- White woman calls cops on man who said he was visiting aunt with his kids Tuesday 3:12 PM
- ‘The Stranded’ is a flawed yet addictive blend of ‘Degrassi’ and ‘Lost’ Tuesday 2:45 PM
- The ‘gonna tell my kids’ meme is revisionist history at its most absurd Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Redditor asks former burglars to give home security tips Tuesday 2:18 PM
- Facebook-Breitbart partnership under fire in wake of new Stephen Miller emails Tuesday 2:00 PM
- John Krasinski under fire after praising the CIA Tuesday 1:46 PM
- Conservatives melt down after Chick-fil-A says it will stop donating to anti-LGBTQ orgs Tuesday 1:33 PM
- ‘Honey Boy’ is an experimental look at channeling trauma Tuesday 1:28 PM
- Disney+ now allows users to resume and restart content Tuesday 11:42 AM
Between joking about the lighting in Game of Thrones, making new dance moves based on kills, and obsessing over America’s ass, the geeky memes have been plentiful in recent days. And after a week of pop culture being dominated by Avengers and Thrones, Gamora putting on her makeup has become a surprisingly versatile addition to the meme canon.
It all began with a video of Zoe Saldana, who plays Gamora, in mostly full character makeup applying her green lipstick. She posted it to Instagram three days ago—and now it’s everywhere.
The meme quickly became a reference to all green things, not just the deadliest woman in the galaxy. Soon, everything from lettuce to pickles was getting roasted using the brief video. The joke is that Saldana is a stand-in for a green object, getting ready to do something bold or evil or funny.
“[L]ettuce getting ready to give people e coli,” quipped user @jaboukie.
My arugula-kale blend base getting ready to cost me $14 at Sweetgreen pic.twitter.com/fGNoUj63bV— dbs (@dbenderstern) May 1, 2019
lettuce getting ready to give people e coli pic.twitter.com/70bK153LxA— jaboukie (@jaboukie) May 1, 2019
My salad before I stood it up for a cheeseburger pic.twitter.com/uJfFukAmLg— Richie Loco 🏁 (@Richie_l0c0) May 1, 2019
Pickles right before getting removed from a hamburger. pic.twitter.com/JsuyW8zhNq— Jose & The Bussycats (@itsjcerm) April 30, 2019
Money getting ready to leave my bank account pic.twitter.com/APFVZD0j8Z— Matthew A. Cherry (@MatthewACherry) May 1, 2019
Saldana probably didn’t anticipate the love that her video got, but these reactions are gold. Or, should we say, green?
- Bang your favorite Avenger with this geeky sex toy collection
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ directors explain Captain America’s confusing ending
- Fan’s ‘thank you’ tweet becomes an ‘Avengers: Endgame’ meme
H/T A.V. Club
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.