- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
- TikTok’s ‘clean queen’ says videos are helping her figure out ‘adulting’ Thursday 4:12 PM
- Clearview clients include ICE, Macy’s, Best Buy, leaked data reveals Thursday 4:08 PM
- Women are clamoring to get their photos on a Twitter feed of ‘hot mugshots’ Thursday 4:06 PM
- ‘Love Is Blind’ finale: Somehow, real love emerged from this dystopian setting Thursday 3:57 PM
- Creator of ‘Say So’ TikTok dance appears in Doja Cat music video Thursday 3:51 PM
- Is TikTok’s algorithm actually pretty racist? Thursday 3:45 PM
- Fans freaking out over ‘Say My Name’ horror remix featured in Jordan Peele’s ‘Candyman’ Thursday 3:33 PM
- CDC graphic warns most facial hair isn’t compatible with coronavirus protection measures Thursday 1:31 PM
- Tutoring website refuses to take down ad sexualizing Asian women Thursday 1:24 PM
- MSNBC pundit loses air time after saying Sanders staffers are ‘island of misfit Black girls’ Thursday 12:36 PM
- Court says YouTube isn’t subject to First Amendment scrutiny Thursday 11:06 AM
This post contains spoilers.
A lot of hearts were broken in Sunday’s emotional episode of Game of Thrones.
In the calm after last week’s heart-pounding battle, the heroes of HBO’s beloved series reached King’s Landing. Before they exchanged what looked to be their final words with Cersei, however, several beloved characters saw their romantic dreams dashed.
Fans finally got to see a long-desired relationship come to fruition in Jamie Lannister and Brienne of Tarth, only to have it snatched away moments later. Gendry became a lord—therefore fully qualified to marry a lady—only to realize he could never have a future with Arya. And Tormund. Poor, lusty Tormund never had a chance with Brienne.
With all the heartsick characters roaming around on Game of Thrones, memers had plenty of material to work with.
The Brienne memes mostly just made us sad all over again.
Oh no from GameOfThronesMemes
i can excuse attempted child murder but i draw the line at making brienne cry— liIith lannister (@zulemazhir) May 6, 2019
The Gendry memes were a bit harsh if you ask me, and were full of “friend zone” jokes.
Even though many of us were shipping the Brienne/Jamie pair-up, we were sad to see how the news hit Tormund.
And even though last week’s episode saw far more character deaths, many people were hit harder by the emotion in “The Last of the Starks.” The next two episodes will likely see the final battle between Daenerys and Cersei finally come to a head. More characters will certainly lose their lives before the conclusion of the epic series, but for the next few days we can all settle in to nurse our wounds and cry for Brienne’s poor broken heart.
- Jon Snow didn’t pet his direwolf before leaving Winterfell, and fans are distraught
- ‘Game of Thrones’ really left a to-go cup on set
- Everyone wants Dany to go full-on Mad Queen and burn down King’s Landing
Need more news from beyond the Wall? Sign up here to receive our weekly Game of Thrones newsletter from in-house expert Michelle Jaworski.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.