- Gun control proposal: Trump, lawmakers considering background check-conducting app 4 Months Ago
- How to stream Browns vs. Jets on Monday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- What are anons? Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Falcons on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
- New restaurant in New York has a seriously unfortunate name: ‘Qanoon’ Saturday 1:38 PM
- These are the 10 best ‘Star Wars’ ships Saturday 12:41 PM
- Google Maps helped solve a decades-old missing persons case Saturday 12:27 PM
- Teen who plotted deadly swatting prank over Call of Duty argument gets prison time Saturday 11:58 AM
- RIP to the real star of ‘Stranger Things’: Steve Harrington’s mullet Saturday 11:04 AM
- People are sharing their wholesome stories with #Hey19YearOldMe Saturday 9:20 AM
This post contains spoilers.
A lot of hearts were broken in Sunday’s emotional episode of Game of Thrones.
In the calm after last week’s heart-pounding battle, the heroes of HBO’s beloved series reached King’s Landing. Before they exchanged what looked to be their final words with Cersei, however, several beloved characters saw their romantic dreams dashed.
Fans finally got to see a long-desired relationship come to fruition in Jamie Lannister and Brienne of Tarth, only to have it snatched away moments later. Gendry became a lord—therefore fully qualified to marry a lady—only to realize he could never have a future with Arya. And Tormund. Poor, lusty Tormund never had a chance with Brienne.
With all the heartsick characters roaming around on Game of Thrones, memers had plenty of material to work with.
The Brienne memes mostly just made us sad all over again.
Oh no from GameOfThronesMemes
i can excuse attempted child murder but i draw the line at making brienne cry— liIith lannister (@zulemazhir) May 6, 2019
The Gendry memes were a bit harsh if you ask me, and were full of “friend zone” jokes.
Even though many of us were shipping the Brienne/Jamie pair-up, we were sad to see how the news hit Tormund.
And even though last week’s episode saw far more character deaths, many people were hit harder by the emotion in “The Last of the Starks.” The next two episodes will likely see the final battle between Daenerys and Cersei finally come to a head. More characters will certainly lose their lives before the conclusion of the epic series, but for the next few days we can all settle in to nurse our wounds and cry for Brienne’s poor broken heart.
- Jon Snow didn’t pet his direwolf before leaving Winterfell, and fans are distraught
- ‘Game of Thrones’ really left a to-go cup on set
- Everyone wants Dany to go full-on Mad Queen and burn down King’s Landing
Need more news from beyond the Wall? Sign up here to receive our weekly Game of Thrones newsletter from in-house expert Michelle Jaworski.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.