- Anti-Trump bros Ed and Brian Krassenstein get kicked off Twitter Thursday 8:07 PM
- Amazon is trying to solve pushback on facial recognition software with a web form Thursday 6:56 PM
- T.I. says Nipsey Hussle’s death was ‘like losing Iron Man’ Thursday 6:32 PM
- Facebook banned billions of fake accounts in the first 3 months of this year Thursday 5:49 PM
- Twitch streamer gets banned for drunkenly passing out during broadcast Thursday 5:00 PM
- WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange indicted under Espionage Act Thursday 4:39 PM
- These doctored videos want to make you think Nancy Pelosi is always drunk Thursday 4:02 PM
- A robot could soon be delivering your packages from a self-driving car Thursday 3:29 PM
- Bipartisan anti-robocall bill overwhelmingly passes Senate Thursday 2:40 PM
- Deepfake-style videos can now be made with just a single image Thursday 1:57 PM
- The Lonely Island’s ‘Bash Brothers’ is what Netflix should be doing with short-form comedy Thursday 1:55 PM
- ‘Green dress lady’ proves green screen memes are still going strong Thursday 1:45 PM
- ‘Bowling alley strike screen’ memes are bizarre and wonderful Thursday 12:40 PM
- TikTok star Mohit Mor shot and killed Thursday 12:00 PM
- Stephen A. Smith is baby Thursday 11:43 AM
Flying Harry Styles has become a meme—and stolen the internet’s heart
Yer a wizard, Harry!
Harry Styles was spotted flying over the water near the coast of Scotland, dangling from a helicopter. The former One Directioner was filming the music video for “Sign of the Times,” his new single, which drops later this week. But forget the context because the internet is having a field day with flyin’ Styles. Yer a wizard, Harry!
Harry Styles and the Chamber Of Secrets (2002) pic.twitter.com/dSX6wTwnVT
— ellie bday girl (@marvelbws) April 4, 2017
Styles is getting clowned with comparisons to all kinds of flying characters in pop culture, from Mary Poppins to Spongebob Squarepants:
the new harry styles music video looks so good pic.twitter.com/x0lvNLuZiH
— 🙂 (@hulkyhoran) April 5, 2017
— olivia (@oliviasedran) April 4, 2017
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) pic.twitter.com/OXBjfpYFy8
— brian feldman (@bafeldman) April 4, 2017
Some have also compared him to this very good dog:
Harry Styles, Sign Of The Times (2017) pic.twitter.com/o7TVFbqGnA
— IM SEEING HARRY (@rosedhes) April 5, 2017
And you can get your exclusive Harry Styles keychains and teabags here:
— 1D Adult Fans (@1DAdultFan) April 5, 2017
I came in like a wrecking ball I never hit so hard in love, all I wanted was to break your walls
All you ever did was break me
You wreck me pic.twitter.com/OOc4JVskHa
— sign of the times (@jornalarry) April 4, 2017
Truly, the hype for Harry’s new career as a superspy is real.
Why does this look like Harry's a secret agent going on a mission?
My name is Styles, Harry Styles. pic.twitter.com/Dt6SFsWh4Y
— Harry Styles Updates (@BestDailyHarry) April 5, 2017
Everyone loves Harry flying, but they’re a little disturbed by his stunt double, who wore a less-than-lifelike Halloween mask of Harry’s face. Get a load of Michael Myers from Halloween, here:
wow people really weren't kidding when they said that solo harry would be a new harry styles pic.twitter.com/60Rpc0wyuD
— sandra (@pezlarrie) April 5, 2017
— Fiona Adorno (@FionaAdorno) April 6, 2017
Michael Myers is shook pic.twitter.com/TDmawBvkR7
— Glen (@MightyBooshank) April 5, 2017
Not exactly the heartthrob you remember from One Direction, eh?
Fair play to Harry for flying on the close-up shots, though, even if he doesn’t do his own stunts.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.