- Texas Rangers shortstop walks up to ‘Baby Shark’ 1 Year Ago
- The best wireless gaming headsets under $100 1 Year Ago
- Trump demands networks blacklist these guests—including prominent Democrats 1 Year Ago
- Bookworms! Now’s your chance to grab 3 months of Amazon Music for free Today 9:00 AM
- You can get paid $1,000 to binge-watch the first 20 Marvel movies Today 8:56 AM
- The ‘flat stomach’ meme has morphed into the ‘pregnant mom’ meme Today 8:43 AM
- Get 6 months free with this sweet Amazon Music Unlimited offer Today 8:30 AM
- Zoie Burgher tweets details about supposed threesome with FaZe Pamaj, Abigale Mandler Today 8:09 AM
- How to stream MLB Network for free Today 8:05 AM
- BTS fans at war over these divisive Mattel dolls Today 7:38 AM
- ‘ReMastered: The Miami Showband Massacre’ revisits one of Ireland’s greatest tragedies Today 7:00 AM
- 12 underrated Netflix comedy specials you should watch now Today 7:00 AM
- Debunking the biggest Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez conspiracy theories Today 6:30 AM
- How to make calls on Google Home Today 6:00 AM
- We now probably know the final runtime for ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Monday 11:06 PM
Photo via WAYHOME studio/Shutterstock (Licensed)
The phrase takes off on Twitter.
People have been using “first of all” on the internet for a while. It’s a way to add context to a conversation, or put someone in their place. Over the weekend, the phrase really took off and turned into a meme, all thanks to a few viral tweets over the last week.
Alright….. first of all………..ouch https://t.co/sfqOcNoapQ
— dog luver (@PURAVlDA) October 8, 2017
That was in response to a tweet about your woman crush Wednesday’s breakfast.
this was your wcw's breakfast. pic.twitter.com/2QPfGz5OgF
— Lil tiddie (@ddown2mars) October 6, 2017
Many others on Twitter began to emulate the format. The “first of all” phrase became the punchline of a joke.
First of all, I've been watching for ten straight hours
— zannah (@notjustblondee) October 16, 2017
“Excuse me, can we get the check please?”
First of all, I’m Soul Train award winning R&B singer Keri Hilson
— Ira Madison III (@ira) October 15, 2017
‘be the bigger person’
first of all i’m 5’1
— sumeya (@svnnycx) October 14, 2017
boys talk to me for a week and assume everything i tweet is about them lol first of all you’re a coping mechanism
— antheia (@venusbisou) October 13, 2017
white girls from my high school talkin bout “this country needs to go back to the golden days” first of all, i watched you fail history.
— spooky szn (@OkayyChriss) October 8, 2017
Several versions of the meme were about sex, unrequited crushes, and anxiety.
"Omg you so wet." First of all, I'm on my period.
— c. montana (@colormechris) October 12, 2017
“You read my message but didn’t reply”
First of all I didn’t mean to read it
— Jennifer (@Jennifer_Blaize) October 16, 2017
"i just dont understand why u dont like me"
first of all, i dont even understand why i dont like myself
— jomny sun (@jonnysun) October 16, 2017
Dentist: "open up"
First of all, it started all the way back in elementary school
— DraBulé (@Biggabossben) October 16, 2017
“Oh you’re always so cool and aloof.”
First of all, i’m dissociating.
— 5'6 (@ohigba11) October 13, 2017
to all my anxiety attacks ever: first of all how dare you
— punk (@NUEPORTS) October 12, 2017
Even brands like Netflix joined in with a meta-joke about the company’s “Are you still watching?” prompt.
“Are you still watching"
First of all, I’ll tell you when I’ve had enough
— Netflix US (@netflix) October 15, 2017
Some people are already calling this meme one of the best of 2017.
the "first of all" meme is the best thing that 2017 has given us
— tired garbage can (@ugsadkid) October 14, 2017
First of all, there’s still two months left in the year.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.