- What does IMO mean? 1 Year Ago
- ‘Trigger Warning with Killer Mike’ digs into America’s wounds with a wink and a black flag Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch Tigres vs. Cruz Azul online for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Arsenal vs. Chelsea online for free Today 5:21 AM
- How to watch Borussia Dortmund vs. RB Leipzig online for free Today 5:07 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Sevilla online for free Today 4:48 AM
- Netflix says ‘Fortnite’ is more competition than HBO Friday 8:25 PM
- This computer-generated Insta model looks staggeringly real Friday 7:15 PM
- Netflix is bringing back ‘Unsolved Mysteries’ with ‘Stranger Things’ producer Friday 6:42 PM
- Facebook is creating a meme feature to bring back the teens Friday 4:13 PM
- A hitman’s smartwatch helped send him to prison for life Friday 4:05 PM
- Privacy group files complaints against Netlifx, Spotify for GDPR violations Friday 3:02 PM
- Bikini Kill reunion show sale proves the internet is still hell for live music fans Friday 2:55 PM
- Teen’s photo of Nazi-themed school-dance invite goes viral Friday 2:31 PM
- Ben Shapiro comes out as pro-baby Hitler in March for Life message Friday 2:28 PM
Photo via WAYHOME studio/Shutterstock (Licensed)
The phrase takes off on Twitter.
People have been using “first of all” on the internet for a while. It’s a way to add context to a conversation, or put someone in their place. Over the weekend, the phrase really took off and turned into a meme, all thanks to a few viral tweets over the last week.
Alright….. first of all………..ouch https://t.co/sfqOcNoapQ
— dog luver (@PURAVlDA) October 8, 2017
That was in response to a tweet about your woman crush Wednesday’s breakfast.
this was your wcw's breakfast. pic.twitter.com/2QPfGz5OgF
— Lil tiddie (@ddown2mars) October 6, 2017
Many others on Twitter began to emulate the format. The “first of all” phrase became the punchline of a joke.
First of all, I've been watching for ten straight hours
— zannah (@notjustblondee) October 16, 2017
“Excuse me, can we get the check please?”
First of all, I’m Soul Train award winning R&B singer Keri Hilson
— Ira Madison III (@ira) October 15, 2017
‘be the bigger person’
first of all i’m 5’1
— sumeya (@svnnycx) October 14, 2017
boys talk to me for a week and assume everything i tweet is about them lol first of all you’re a coping mechanism
— antheia (@venusbisou) October 13, 2017
white girls from my high school talkin bout “this country needs to go back to the golden days” first of all, i watched you fail history.
— spooky szn (@OkayyChriss) October 8, 2017
Several versions of the meme were about sex, unrequited crushes, and anxiety.
"Omg you so wet." First of all, I'm on my period.
— c. montana (@colormechris) October 12, 2017
“You read my message but didn’t reply”
First of all I didn’t mean to read it
— Jennifer (@Jennifer_Blaize) October 16, 2017
"i just dont understand why u dont like me"
first of all, i dont even understand why i dont like myself
— jomny sun (@jonnysun) October 16, 2017
Dentist: "open up"
First of all, it started all the way back in elementary school
— DraBulé (@Biggabossben) October 16, 2017
“Oh you’re always so cool and aloof.”
First of all, i’m dissociating.
— 5'6 (@ohigba11) October 13, 2017
to all my anxiety attacks ever: first of all how dare you
— punk (@NUEPORTS) October 12, 2017
Even brands like Netflix joined in with a meta-joke about the company’s “Are you still watching?” prompt.
“Are you still watching"
First of all, I’ll tell you when I’ve had enough
— Netflix US (@netflix) October 15, 2017
Some people are already calling this meme one of the best of 2017.
the "first of all" meme is the best thing that 2017 has given us
— tired garbage can (@ugsadkid) October 14, 2017
First of all, there’s still two months left in the year.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.