- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected 4 Weeks Ago
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked 4 Weeks Ago
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report 4 Weeks Ago
- Study links emoji use to more sex Today 2:10 PM
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Today 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Today 1:31 PM
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool Today 1:13 PM
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ Today 12:55 PM
- A GoFundMe for Eric Garner’s killer has raised more than $70,000 Today 12:49 PM
- YouTuber finds GoPro footage of man who drowned in 2017 Today 12:20 PM
- Netflix’s ’45 rpm’ is as tired as the boomer rock era it tries to honor Today 11:38 AM
- Teen arrested for threatening to ‘slaughter’ abortion clinic on iFunny Today 11:29 AM
- How to stream the LA Galaxy vs. Cruz Azul Leagues Cup semifinal match Today 11:10 AM
- Going broke over the App Store? Here’s how to turn off in-app purchases Today 10:49 AM
- Jill Biden says even if you don’t like Joe Biden, you need to vote for Joe Biden Today 10:43 AM
A Twitter account called @EmojiMashupBot has been programmed to do the Lord’s work—taking two emojis and blending them together to birth a single beautiful new emoji. It may not sound like much at first, but in a world where a snowballing amount of our textual communication is handled through these little icons, every addition to our emoji lexicon is an opportunity to express ourselves in a new, succinct way.
Every hour, our new favorite bot posts a new emoji, Frankenstein-ed together from two the account says are chosen at random.
😆 grinning-squinting-eyes + 😜 winking-tongue = pic.twitter.com/o6y1qlsBea— Emoji Mashup Bot (@EmojiMashupBot) July 22, 2019
🥶 cold + 🙃 upside-down = pic.twitter.com/gbEw5czW8L— Emoji Mashup Bot (@EmojiMashupBot) July 22, 2019
🤧 sneezing + 👹 ogre = pic.twitter.com/LX8R0gSmJP— Emoji Mashup Bot (@EmojiMashupBot) July 22, 2019
The bot launched last week with a simple zipper-lipped angel, and it didn’t take long for it to gain quite a following, amassing almost 80K followers already.
But perhaps even better than the hybrid emojis themselves are the way people on Twitter are reacting, coming up with clever uses and meanings for these hyper-specific and sometimes non-sensical symbols.
gold diggers be like— shy guy (@itheshyguy) July 21, 2019
Dom lust— Singe (@Singey42) July 21, 2019
When ur happy but you’re like me and don’t show emotion— Pieck Stan (@Pizzaisanalien) July 22, 2019
When you hate everyone at the party but you’re there for the cake— Rubix (@RubixKubezz) July 21, 2019
tsunderes in anime be like— [Chaos.] (@ChaoticHighway) July 22, 2019
And sometimes people just immediately recognized something in these emojis that they knew they had seen somewhere before.
Same energy pic.twitter.com/4IQz1Z82CY— Oh Hey It's Me (@OhHeyItsY0u) July 21, 2019
While new emojis are being launched regularly, there will always be far more that we want than we will likely ever get. Unfortunately, @EmojiMashupBot has its limits—after all, no combination of faces is going to give the world the transgender flag emoji they’ve been lobbying for for years — but there’s still a lot to appreciate here.
And for now, the emoji mashup bot does seem limited to faces, but might its creator decide to start mashing up other emojis in the future? Could we get a robot unicorn? A clown on fire? A poop taco? We can only hope. But in the meantime, we can totally appreciate the weird ride it’s taking us on.
is this panic at the disco— paige ☠ (@eightpanpeas) July 20, 2019
Rachel Kiley is a writer who sometimes writes things and sometimes is based in L.A., but is definitely always on Twitter @rachelkiley.