- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free 4 Months Ago
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free 4 Months Ago
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Saturday 10:00 AM
- Beyoncé has 2 more projects coming to Netflix after ‘Homecoming’ Saturday 9:53 AM
- How to watch Danny Garcia vs. Adrian Granados for free Saturday 9:00 AM
- The ‘Feeling Cute Challenge’ turns ugly after correctional officers abuse it Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to watch ‘How High 2’ for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- Swipe This! My ex-BFF keeps sliding into my DMs, but I don’t want to be friends Saturday 6:30 AM
- Watch ‘I Am Somebody’s Child: The Regina Louise Story’ for free Saturday 6:00 AM
Pizza Rat who? 2019 is all about our new king, Egg Roll Squirrel.
Pizza Rat who? 2019 is all about our new king, Egg Roll Squirrel. It’s hard to believe it’s been nearly four years since we started to notice the rodents of New York City eating our food scraps. Pizza Rat made way for other legends like Milkshake Squirrel, Wing Squirrel and now Egg Roll Squirrel.
The WhatIsNewYork Twitter account posted a video earlier this week of a New York squirrel hanging out in a tree, munching on an eggroll, as squirrels do. “Doesn’t look like this squirrels first egg roll,” they wrote in the caption. This plump little guy is a pro. He wasn’t concerned that the egg roll was nearly as big as him or that he had no sauces or a main course.
— WhatIsNewYork (@whatisny) January 2, 2019
The video quickly went viral because it is 2019 and we love nothing more than a chubby squirrel eating human food in a New York City tree. I find Egg Roll Squirrel to be one of the more impressive famed food rodents. He managed to find a near entire egg roll, take it to a safe location, and eat it completely unbothered. Many others were frantic when caught with the food, but not Egg Roll Squirrel. He’s cool as a cucumber. Many people on Twitter agree.
“Pizza Rat has been upstaged by Eggroll Squirrel!!” one person said.
Pizza Rat has been upstaged by Eggroll Squirrel!!
— Beth Figuls (@bethfiguls) January 3, 2019
“I still love Pizza Rat, but I’m 100% on board with Egg Roll Squirrel,” another person said.
I still love Pizza Rat, but I’m 100% on board with Egg Roll Squirrel https://t.co/QrjF3Uu6it
— Bill Thomas (@billinbrooklyn) January 3, 2019
One person suggested he may have ordered the egg roll himself. We all know New York City squirrels are known to be advanced.
“Uber Eats finally got the location right. It’s tough texting without thumbs,” someone joked.
Uber Eats finally got the location right. It's tough texting without thumbs.
— Karen Petronis (@klpbirds) January 2, 2019
One person pointed out that we may have peaked early because how can this year get better than Egg Roll Squirrel?
“Just saw a squirrel in a tree eating an egg roll on the local news. Was immediately depressed because I knew that was as good as 2019 could get. It is all downhill from here,” they wrote.
Just saw a squirrel in a tree eating an egg roll on the local news. Was immediately depressed because I knew that was as good as 2019 could get. It is all downhill from here
— Hal Kaiser (@Hal_Kaiser) January 3, 2019
Soak it up, everyone. It may not get better than this. If anything, we’ll always have Egg Roll Squirrel to look back on throughout the year.
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.