- Actor Amanda Seales pushes back on #FreeRodneyReed movement Monday 10:58 PM
- Netflix thriller ‘Earthquake Bird’ can’t solve its own mystery Monday 4:45 PM
- Goop is selling an expensive ‘restraining arts’ BDSM kit Monday 4:17 PM
- Body positivity actress Lili Reinhart calls out Photoshopping app Monday 3:42 PM
- ‘Rick and Morty’ zeroes in on connections and leans into familiar territory Monday 3:30 PM
- People are sharing photos of how much they’ve changed in a decade Monday 2:30 PM
- A few of our favorite things on Newegg are on sale for Black Friday Monday 2:15 PM
- Disney adds ‘Bob’s Burgers’ movie back to release schedule after accidentally yanking it Monday 2:02 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez launches petition demanding Stephen Miller’s resignation Monday 1:24 PM
- Prince Andrew’s defense against child sex crimes stokes conspiracy theory flames Monday 1:20 PM
- More people may be looking to cancel Disney+ than Netflix Monday 1:09 PM
- Monday Night Football: How to stream Chiefs vs. Chargers live Monday 1:00 PM
- After days of deadly protests, Iran implements ‘largest internet shutdown ever’ Monday 12:55 PM
- ‘Disney Plus and thrust’ is apparently the new Netflix and Chill Monday 12:32 PM
- Woman fired, sued after coworker shared their sexts Monday 12:22 PM
President Donald Trump has declared next Monday as Loyalty Day, writing in a presidential proclamation that it shall be a day that “we recognize and reaffirm our allegiance to the principles upon which our nation is built.”
Almost immediately, Twitter went to work on the concept of loyalty and what it means to Trump.
They said 'Loyalty Day' is to uphold 'the inherent dignity of every human being'-a few days after launching a hotline for 'removable aliens' https://t.co/UBtnKXfANI— Hend Amry (@LibyaLiberty) April 29, 2017
"Loyalty Day!?"— Jesse McLaren (@McJesse) April 29, 2017
*THINKS LOYALTY DAY IS STUPID*
*REALIZES IT COULD MEAN AN EXTRA DAY OFF*
"I love Loyalty Day!!!!"
How do we celebrate Loyalty Day? Marry a third wife?— Amy (@SneakThiefMeow) April 29, 2017
But before those who oppose Trump get into too much of a huff, realize this: Loyalty Day has been around for six decades.
As the Nation points out, President Dwight D. Eisenhower was the first to declare a Loyalty Day, and it’s been celebrated by everybody from JFK to Ronald Reagan and from Nixon to Obama. As the Los Angeles Times wrote, it was first known as Americanization Day in 1921, and “it arose in response to the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution in Russia and growing radicalism in a swelling U.S. labor movement.”
So, Trump isn’t exactly treading on new ground.
"Loyalty Day" wasn't started by Trump. It was first observed in 1921 as a red scare tactic in response to International Workers' Day. https://t.co/SVned1Qzuq— ✭James Saint-Franc☭ (@sirjamesa12) April 29, 2017
@PaganChild It's been called Loyalty Day since Eisenhower. JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, W, and Obama all signed off on it.— elektrosoundwav (@elektrosoundwav) April 29, 2017
Tweeting it again bc it's starting to spread - Loyalty Day was also proclaimed by Obama. Gaining traction as Trump's bc it fits a narrative. https://t.co/ECfdtTblc1— John Gholson (@gholson) April 29, 2017
But that doesn’t mean some people can’t see the irony of Trump celebrating the concept of loyalty.
Married 3 times, cheated on the first two, used to be a democrat...guys the irony is burning a huge hole in my face. https://t.co/7n95Ql1kfB— Scott Johnson (@scottjohnson) April 29, 2017
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.