- Gabrielle Union deserves better from Terry Crews Tuesday 11:12 PM
- T.I. publicly apologizes to daughters after Kobe Bryant’s death Tuesday 8:46 PM
- ‘Squash the boss’: Labor union seemingly unknowingly posted furry fetish art Tuesday 8:04 PM
- TikTok user pretending to be lab technician who has contracted coronavirus Tuesday 7:08 PM
- Caroline Calloway says she plans to campaign for Bernie Sanders Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Justin Bieber, Snoop Dogg, millions of others sign petition to make Kobe Bryant new NBA logo Tuesday 5:39 PM
- No, Lana Del Rey did not cry because Billie Eilish won album of the year Tuesday 4:48 PM
- People are exposing their eyeballs to phone flash for this TikTok challenge Tuesday 3:55 PM
- Watch Mike Bloomberg try to shake a dog’s mouth Tuesday 3:41 PM
- ‘Rey who?’ is the funniest meme to emerge from ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ Tuesday 3:30 PM
- AI beat the CDC to the punch on coronavirus warnings Tuesday 3:21 PM
- What exactly is a ‘large boulder the size of a small boulder’? Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Mom of ‘Success Kid’ says Steve King can’t use her son’s meme for ‘repulsive’ campaign Tuesday 2:00 PM
- Jake Paul can’t escape Logan Paul’s shadow—even if that loyalty has hurt his career Tuesday 1:13 PM
- Kobe Bryant’s Oscar-winning ‘Dear Basketball’ is now available to stream for free (updated) Tuesday 12:21 PM
President Donald Trump has declared next Monday as Loyalty Day, writing in a presidential proclamation that it shall be a day that “we recognize and reaffirm our allegiance to the principles upon which our nation is built.”
Almost immediately, Twitter went to work on the concept of loyalty and what it means to Trump.
They said 'Loyalty Day' is to uphold 'the inherent dignity of every human being'-a few days after launching a hotline for 'removable aliens' https://t.co/UBtnKXfANI— Hend Amry (@LibyaLiberty) April 29, 2017
"Loyalty Day!?"— Jesse McLaren (@McJesse) April 29, 2017
*THINKS LOYALTY DAY IS STUPID*
*REALIZES IT COULD MEAN AN EXTRA DAY OFF*
"I love Loyalty Day!!!!"
How do we celebrate Loyalty Day? Marry a third wife?— Amy (@SneakThiefMeow) April 29, 2017
But before those who oppose Trump get into too much of a huff, realize this: Loyalty Day has been around for six decades.
As the Nation points out, President Dwight D. Eisenhower was the first to declare a Loyalty Day, and it’s been celebrated by everybody from JFK to Ronald Reagan and from Nixon to Obama. As the Los Angeles Times wrote, it was first known as Americanization Day in 1921, and “it arose in response to the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution in Russia and growing radicalism in a swelling U.S. labor movement.”
So, Trump isn’t exactly treading on new ground.
"Loyalty Day" wasn't started by Trump. It was first observed in 1921 as a red scare tactic in response to International Workers' Day. https://t.co/SVned1Qzuq— ✭James Saint-Franc☭ (@sirjamesa12) April 29, 2017
@PaganChild It's been called Loyalty Day since Eisenhower. JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, W, and Obama all signed off on it.— elektrosoundwav (@elektrosoundwav) April 29, 2017
Tweeting it again bc it's starting to spread - Loyalty Day was also proclaimed by Obama. Gaining traction as Trump's bc it fits a narrative. https://t.co/ECfdtTblc1— John Gholson (@gholson) April 29, 2017
But that doesn’t mean some people can’t see the irony of Trump celebrating the concept of loyalty.
Married 3 times, cheated on the first two, used to be a democrat...guys the irony is burning a huge hole in my face. https://t.co/7n95Ql1kfB— Scott Johnson (@scottjohnson) April 29, 2017
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.