- Teens charged with attempted arson after participating in TikTok ‘outlet challenge’ 3 Years Ago
- ‘American Dirt’ is a metaphor for a white country built on the back of immigrants Today 6:00 AM
- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
- Iconic 1968 drag documentary ‘The Queen’ finally released on Netflix Friday 9:29 PM
- This TikTok account for Chancellor Palpatine is hilarious Friday 8:43 PM
- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
Yesterday was Father’s Day, and it wasn’t until late in the evening that the president, Donald Trump, somewhat acknowledged the joyous annual occasion, and even then, his children were absent from any celebration. Instead, he retweeted a half-hearted and uninspired tweet from the official White House account.
Happy Father's Day! pic.twitter.com/32tFoVa4Ov— The White House (@WhiteHouse) June 18, 2017
That said, it was not like the president was unaware of the day. People were tweeting him all sorts of congratulations.
@realDonaldTrump Happy Father's Day. One of the greatest gifts God gives us is our children, and it's a reflection of us. Great job w/ them.— Joseph DePasquale (@JoeStocks) June 18, 2017
To the Leader and current Father of our Country happy Father's Day #MAGA— Davidziegler (@realdziegler) June 18, 2017
And he’s been known to tweet about Father’s Day before.
Happy Father's Day to all, even the haters and losers!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 15, 2013
So what gives this time?
Who knows. But one man, an illustrator from Connecticut, may have gotten to the core of it, noting just how prolific the president was as a father.
Happy Father's Day to the man with five kids from three wives.— rob dobi (@Robdobi) June 18, 2017
That was in response to Trump tweeting about his personal approval numbers, rather than his children, and it was a tweet that provoked a response from Trump.
We all celebrate in our own ways.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]