- Tom Brady keeps supplying us with new meme material Friday 5:55 PM
- Emails reveal Facebook’s knowledge of Cambridge Analytica Friday 3:43 PM
- ‘Fast and Furious’ + ‘American Ninja Warrior’ = Netflix’s ‘Hyperdrive’ Friday 3:15 PM
- Trump jokes drop in Dow is because Seth Moulton dropped out of 2020 race Friday 3:13 PM
- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat Friday 1:46 PM
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Friday 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Friday 1:04 PM
- The VSCO Girl has always been here Friday 1:01 PM
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Friday 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Friday 12:02 PM
- Popeyes blasted for employee welfare amid chicken sandwich war Friday 11:59 AM
- Cory Booker says nonbinary ‘niephew’ taught him about trans issues Friday 11:53 AM
- Megachurch pushes conversion therapy on Instagram, Facebook with #OnceGay Friday 11:11 AM
- Christian movie review site blasts Netflix’s ‘The Family’ Friday 10:50 AM
- YouTube removes ‘coordinated’ channels spreading Hong Kong misinformation Friday 8:58 AM
Yesterday was Father’s Day, and it wasn’t until late in the evening that the president, Donald Trump, somewhat acknowledged the joyous annual occasion, and even then, his children were absent from any celebration. Instead, he retweeted a half-hearted and uninspired tweet from the official White House account.
Happy Father's Day! pic.twitter.com/32tFoVa4Ov— The White House (@WhiteHouse) June 18, 2017
That said, it was not like the president was unaware of the day. People were tweeting him all sorts of congratulations.
@realDonaldTrump Happy Father's Day. One of the greatest gifts God gives us is our children, and it's a reflection of us. Great job w/ them.— Joseph DePasquale (@JoeStocks) June 18, 2017
To the Leader and current Father of our Country happy Father's Day #MAGA— Davidziegler (@realdziegler) June 18, 2017
And he’s been known to tweet about Father’s Day before.
Happy Father's Day to all, even the haters and losers!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 15, 2013
So what gives this time?
Who knows. But one man, an illustrator from Connecticut, may have gotten to the core of it, noting just how prolific the president was as a father.
Happy Father's Day to the man with five kids from three wives.— rob dobi (@Robdobi) June 18, 2017
That was in response to Trump tweeting about his personal approval numbers, rather than his children, and it was a tweet that provoked a response from Trump.
We all celebrate in our own ways.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]