- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
- Roger Stone barred from posting on all social media platforms Tuesday 6:03 PM
- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age Tuesday 5:16 PM
- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo Tuesday 3:54 PM
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Tuesday 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Tuesday 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Tuesday 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Tuesday 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Tuesday 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Tuesday 12:02 PM
There’s always a tweet. But sometimes it’s a fake tweet.
Despite the realistic looking screenshot going around Twitter on Monday, Trump never tweeted, “If the Dow Joans ever falls more than 1000 ‘points’ in a Single Day the sitting president should be ‘loaded’ into a very big cannon and Shot into the sun at TREMENDOUS SPEED! No excuses!”
There's *always* a tweet pic.twitter.com/dmrmzoRwP1— Shaun Usher (@ShaunUsher) February 5, 2018
The fake Trump quote went viral almost instantly. Its creator, Shaun Usher, quickly followed up that he was shocked people believed the mocking Trump tweet to be real in the first place.
“Sweet mother of god,” Usher wrote. “Not for one second did I think people would believe that to be genuine.”
Sweet mother of god. Not for one second did I think people would believe that to be genuine.— Shaun Usher (@ShaunUsher) February 5, 2018
But its virality exploded so fast that even Snopes reported that Trump never said anything about “Dow Joans” or “canons.” And honestly, can you blame people for thinking it was real?
imagine living in such a fucked up reality that you absolutely HAVE TO look up this tweet to make sure its fake pic.twitter.com/uOImuuxlZJ— Jules Suzdaltsev (@jules_su) February 5, 2018
Here’s what Trump did tweet on Monday.
“Thanks to the historic TAX CUTS that I signed into law, your paychecks are going way UP, your taxes are going way DOWN, and America is once again OPEN FOR BUSINESS!” the president wrote.
Thanks to the historic TAX CUTS that I signed into law, your paychecks are going way UP, your taxes are going way DOWN, and America is once again OPEN FOR BUSINESS! pic.twitter.com/GISFbDDGXX— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 5, 2018
And here’s what he tweeted last month to take credit for the stock market when it was in a much better place.
“Unprecedented success for our Country, in so many ways, since the Election,” he tweeted on Jan. 20. “Record Stock Market, Strong on Military, Crime, Borders, & ISIS, Judicial Strength & Numbers, Lowest Unemployment for Women & ALL, Massive Tax Cuts, end of Individual Mandate – and so much more.”
Unprecedented success for our Country, in so many ways, since the Election. Record Stock Market, Strong on Military, Crime, Borders, & ISIS, Judicial Strength & Numbers, Lowest Unemployment for Women & ALL, Massive Tax Cuts, end of Individual Mandate - and so much more. Big 2018!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 20, 2018
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.