- Deepfake-style videos can now be made with just a single image 10 Months Ago
- The Lonely Island’s ‘Bash Brothers’ is what Netflix should be doing with short-form comedy 10 Months Ago
- ‘Green dress lady’ proves green screen memes are still going strong 10 Months Ago
- ‘Bowling alley strike screen’ memes are bizarre and wonderful Today 12:40 PM
- TikTok star Mohit Mor shot and killed Today 12:00 PM
- Stephen A. Smith is baby Today 11:43 AM
- Tfue releases statement on FaZe Clan lawsuit, says his contract is ‘f*cked’ Today 11:34 AM
- People are using an app to out gropers on Japan’s subway Today 11:24 AM
- Trump misspelled ‘accomplishments’ on handwritten notes, photo shows Today 11:12 AM
- HUD proposal would allow homeless shelters to refuse trans people Today 10:44 AM
- Disney’s ‘Aladdin’ remake isn’t terrible Today 10:11 AM
- Police under investigation after running over 1-year-old child Today 9:16 AM
- Who is Jannah, the breakout star of ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’? Today 9:10 AM
- Trump revives his ‘dumb as a rock’ insult for Rex Tillerson Today 9:03 AM
- Forget Hot Jafar. All hail Fat Ursula Today 8:14 AM
Baby can’t you see…
Can you believe it’s been nearly 15 years since Britney Spears released “Toxic,” her second single off the 2003 album In the Zone? The song was an instant worldwide success and ended up being one of the top-selling singles of her career.
Of course, a good part of the reason why “Toxic” became the earworm it did was thanks to the impossibly catchy hook between verses, which to this day is instantly recognizable.
Which is why, while recording his dog Riley, Snapchat and Twitter user Matt Hardin couldn’t help but notice that the pup sounded just like he was singing Spears’ hit. “Is it just me or does Riley sound like he’s singing toxic by Britney Spears?” Hardin tweeted over the weekend.
Is it just me or does Riley sound like he’s singing toxic by Britney Spears? pic.twitter.com/XT4us4ERYD
— matt (@matthardn) July 21, 2018
Indeed, if you compare Riley’s whine to the song’s actual hook, it’s pretty much uncanny. Hardin’s tweet quickly went viral as others grappled to wraps their minds around the incredible “Toxic” singing doggo. “I’ve watched this 20 times,” replied one user, to which Hardin responded, “I had to watch it a few times too just to make sure I wasn’t insane.”
Others were similarly impressed:
baby can’t you see… https://t.co/loNf26ABEK
— Carlie Hanson (@carliehanson) July 22, 2018
— Borgore (@Borgore) July 22, 2018
HES ON KEY tOO ?????? https://t.co/t7gDDZb519
— max (@Max_iac) July 22, 2018
It’s perfect https://t.co/P3ddXhoUYL
— Max Gonzalez (@GassyMexican) July 22, 2018
riley is a legend omg https://t.co/dmElNZUhMT
— bliss loves perrie and shawn (@perriesviolet) July 22, 2018
this dog can sing better than you https://t.co/EB9f203Efv
— wala na, finish na (@NeilBes12) July 22, 2018
And the obligatory:
Its Britney, bitch https://t.co/1OaEXAdg0m
— Pilosopong Conyo (@laurencesulit) July 22, 2018
Someone needs to book this dog on some America’s Got Talent type of show and get him a recording contract STAT. The rest of the world needs to hear Riley.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.