- Tom Steyer calls for reparations Tuesday 9:05 PM
- Etika mural added as official PokéStop in Pokémon Go Tuesday 8:35 PM
- Debate devolves into candidates shouting ‘math’ at each other Tuesday 8:19 PM
- Bloomberg rolls his eyes when challenged over sexist comments Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Bloomberg almost accidentally claims he ‘bought’ Congress Tuesday 8:03 PM
- ‘Dick Pound’ and ‘Bisexual Men Exist’ trend together–Twitter goes wild Tuesday 7:54 PM
- James Charles receives backlash over ‘racist’ imitation of Latinx TikTok character, Rosa Tuesday 7:06 PM
- Video shows people harassing elderly Asian man while he collects cans Tuesday 6:23 PM
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO, prompting conspiracy theories Tuesday 5:53 PM
- Bhad Bhabie threatens to kill Skai Jackson amid feud involving their moms Tuesday 4:51 PM
- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing Tuesday 3:51 PM
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Tuesday 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Tuesday 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Tuesday 2:33 PM
In a strange video, captured on nighttime security cameras outside of a home, a Dobby-like creature can be seen funnily walking away from the front door.
The owner of the residence, Vivian Gomez, originally posted the video to Facebook, and then it went viral on Twitter.
“So I woke up Sunday morning and saw this on my camera and am trying to figure out…what the heck?? First I saw the shadow walking from my front door then I saw this thing…has anyone else seen this on their cameras?? The other two cameras didn’t pick it up for some reason,” Gomez wrote on Facebook.
So I woke up Sunday morning and saw this on my camera and am trying to figure out...what the heck?? First I saw the...Posted by Vivian Gomez on Thursday, June 6, 2019
Someone saw the video and took it to Twitter.
“A lady posted this and said she saw this on her home camera this morning. What ya’ll think this is?” @jadynbee_ asked her Twitter followers.
The theories and jokes then began to quickly roll in. Some suggested that the creature, seen in the video, is actually just a puppet or even a young child.
One theory, in particular, set Twitter aflame.
“Is that fucking Dobby?” someone asked.
is that fucking Dobby ?! https://t.co/IxoHhHPA46— jordan (@hayla1116) June 8, 2019
From there, the internet went wild–leading “Dobby” to trend for hours.
“Y’all are so dumb just because Dobby died in the movie doesn’t mean Dobby the actor is dead in real life! Gosh some people don’t understand how movies work clearly,” one user pointed out.
You can see someone in the house stick their hand out the window at couple seconds before the video ends. Looks like a puppet of some sort to me— GLORIA (@daneeisfunny) June 8, 2019
Even if its a normal kid, where the hell is it going?— Raz-Al-Goo (@Piccadhelly) June 8, 2019
Because he’s a free elf— Mother Coconuts (@amberray34) June 8, 2019
OK, so there are four possible theories. Dobby is not dead after all. The video is fake. It’s a small, very skinny child dressed up as Dobby. Or, it’s only an alien.
Let’s just go with the Dobby theory. It looks like Dobby is a free elf after all.
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake
- This guy fixed his sink with ramen—so just how healthy can it be?
- A ridiculous video is being shared by anti-abortion activists—is it real?
- ‘J.K. Rowling reveals’ meme uses predictive text for words of encouragement
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Dominic-Madori Davis is a recent graduate of the University of Southern California. She covers the internet, politics, and social issues.