- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension 3 Years Ago
- How to live stream Liga MX 3 Years Ago
- The QBaby’s parents are already trying to profit off their kid’s fame Today 7:45 AM
- How do 4DX movies work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Terminator 2’s John Connor will return for ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Today 6:41 AM
- What are all these ‘Game of Thrones’ fans supposed to do now? Today 6:00 AM
- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out Thursday 7:59 PM
- Bella Thorne claims Tana Mongeau ‘broke girl code’ in a series of messy tweets Thursday 7:00 PM
- Redditors keep this data engineer’s plants alive for him Thursday 5:20 PM
- Professor writes article defending ‘Asian romantic preference’—and no one is here for it Thursday 4:57 PM
- Ditch Pornhub and support adult content creators instead Thursday 4:46 PM
- Fans grieve Kyoto Animation Studio fire with #PrayforKyoAni Thursday 4:18 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Secret Obsession’ isn’t just terrible—it’s boring as hell Thursday 3:30 PM
- Instagram expands experiment of hiding likes to 6 more countries Thursday 3:20 PM
- Man asks woman to stop speaking Spanish on a plane—and bystanders start speaking Spanish Thursday 12:55 PM
Congrats to these bros who yelled ‘d**ks out for Harambe’ during a live hurricane report
D**ks out in a big storm for the dead gorilla.
“Dicks out for Harambe,” the catchphrase of mid-to-late 2016 and a sort of irreverent memorial for everyone’s favorite ape who died, means so much to so many. For example, it means social sanctioning—albeit mostly from teens and people on Facebook meme groups—to holler “dicks” in public. And people will go to great lengths, even into the midst of a Category 4 hurricane, to realize that dream.
An unidentified bro sporting long hair and shades braved the high winds of Hurricane Matthew to make his way to Juno Beach and into the background of a local reporter’s shot. At that moment, the newscaster was describing small children and pets being knocked over by the storm, subtly indicating that maybe it was a bad idea to be there.
But it was all worth it, I guess, because the courageous bro got to unleash the ol’ “Dicks out!” on live TV.
A lot of people will tell you that yelling “Dicks out for Harambe!” is faddish, asinine, and has past its peak. This is all true, but what I’m going to posit here is: What if it’s also good?
See, the thing people used to yell on local newscasts was “Fuck her right in the pussy!” The FHRITP meme was the DOFH meme of 2014, but much stupider and without any context. It was also based on a fake videobomb that was set up to go viral, but many people spread it like it was an organic Thing, and it became a plague to TV reporters everywhere.
“Dicks out for Harambe,” which at least has Danny Trejo going for it, has almost entirely supplanted FHRITP as the exclamation of choice for attention-seeking brohams who have the internet. For this, I am ever so slightly grateful.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.