- PewDiePie wants Bernie Sanders to host meme review 3 Years Ago
- Hilary Duff records confrontation with ‘creep’ taking photos of kids 3 Years Ago
- BTS may have used Twitch streamer’s voice in song without permission Today 12:15 PM
- Gigi Hadid absolutely obliterates Jake Paul over Zayn Malik diss Today 10:26 AM
- People really want Chris Matthews fired after he compared Sanders’ Nevada win to Nazi invasion of France Today 9:35 AM
- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Saturday 6:30 AM
“Dicks out for Harambe,” the catchphrase of mid-to-late 2016 and a sort of irreverent memorial for everyone’s favorite ape who died, means so much to so many. For example, it means social sanctioning—albeit mostly from teens and people on Facebook meme groups—to holler “dicks” in public. And people will go to great lengths, even into the midst of a Category 4 hurricane, to realize that dream.
An unidentified bro sporting long hair and shades braved the high winds of Hurricane Matthew to make his way to Juno Beach and into the background of a local reporter’s shot. At that moment, the newscaster was describing small children and pets being knocked over by the storm, subtly indicating that maybe it was a bad idea to be there.
But it was all worth it, I guess, because the courageous bro got to unleash the ol’ “Dicks out!” on live TV.
A lot of people will tell you that yelling “Dicks out for Harambe!” is faddish, asinine, and has past its peak. This is all true, but what I’m going to posit here is: What if it’s also good?
See, the thing people used to yell on local newscasts was “Fuck her right in the pussy!” The FHRITP meme was the DOFH meme of 2014, but much stupider and without any context. It was also based on a fake videobomb that was set up to go viral, but many people spread it like it was an organic Thing, and it became a plague to TV reporters everywhere.
“Dicks out for Harambe,” which at least has Danny Trejo going for it, has almost entirely supplanted FHRITP as the exclamation of choice for attention-seeking brohams who have the internet. For this, I am ever so slightly grateful.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.