- Where did Jon Snow go? Unpacking the ‘Game of Thrones’ ending 3 Years Ago
- So, did anyone actually win ‘Game of Thrones’? 3 Years Ago
- The surprising religious subtext of ‘John Wick: Chapter 3’ Today 12:53 PM
- Robin Arryn got hot—and the internet is seriously shook Today 12:40 PM
- Tana Mongeau is going to VidCon a year after TanaCon disaster Today 12:12 PM
- What have 2020 Democrats said about Alabama’s abortion ban? Today 11:36 AM
- People keep throwing milkshakes at the U.K.’s far-right politicians Today 11:10 AM
- James Charles is rebounding from his YouTube scandal—and his mentor is paying the price Today 10:42 AM
- Conservatives accuse Pete Buttigieg of wanting to tear down Jefferson Memorial Today 10:28 AM
- Graduating Moorehouse students thank billionaire for vowing to pay off $40m in student debt Today 10:22 AM
- ‘Westworld’ season 3 trailer gives us a new world, Aaron Paul Today 10:17 AM
- Twitch streamer says she’s receiving backlash for ‘getting men banned’ Today 9:27 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ fulfilled a twisted version of its biggest prophecy Today 8:17 AM
- Minions memes are more popular than the far-right on Telegram Today 7:35 AM
- ‘Best of Nextdoor’ reveals the true insanity of modern life Today 7:30 AM
Congrats to these bros who yelled ‘d**ks out for Harambe’ during a live hurricane report
D**ks out in a big storm for the dead gorilla.
“Dicks out for Harambe,” the catchphrase of mid-to-late 2016 and a sort of irreverent memorial for everyone’s favorite ape who died, means so much to so many. For example, it means social sanctioning—albeit mostly from teens and people on Facebook meme groups—to holler “dicks” in public. And people will go to great lengths, even into the midst of a Category 4 hurricane, to realize that dream.
An unidentified bro sporting long hair and shades braved the high winds of Hurricane Matthew to make his way to Juno Beach and into the background of a local reporter’s shot. At that moment, the newscaster was describing small children and pets being knocked over by the storm, subtly indicating that maybe it was a bad idea to be there.
But it was all worth it, I guess, because the courageous bro got to unleash the ol’ “Dicks out!” on live TV.
A lot of people will tell you that yelling “Dicks out for Harambe!” is faddish, asinine, and has past its peak. This is all true, but what I’m going to posit here is: What if it’s also good?
See, the thing people used to yell on local newscasts was “Fuck her right in the pussy!” The FHRITP meme was the DOFH meme of 2014, but much stupider and without any context. It was also based on a fake videobomb that was set up to go viral, but many people spread it like it was an organic Thing, and it became a plague to TV reporters everywhere.
“Dicks out for Harambe,” which at least has Danny Trejo going for it, has almost entirely supplanted FHRITP as the exclamation of choice for attention-seeking brohams who have the internet. For this, I am ever so slightly grateful.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.