- The Economist faces blowback for asking if trans people should be sterilized 2 Years Ago
- 8 doormats that we can’t believe actually exist 2 Years Ago
- Why is political blog the Hill publishing work by anti-LGBTQ hate groups? 2 Years Ago
- A woman vice president? The 2020 men have some thoughts 2 Years Ago
- 80 percent of Americans support reinstating net neutrality Today 8:38 AM
- Website secretly filmed 1,600 hotel guests for fetish live stream Today 8:18 AM
- The Holga 120N is the $40 camera you never knew you needed Today 8:13 AM
- Poster for ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ gets mercilessly roasted Today 7:18 AM
- How to steam March Madness 2019 for free Today 7:00 AM
- Trump maintains attack on late John McCain Today 6:51 AM
- How to know if someone blocked you on Snapchat Today 6:30 AM
- Drag queens are calling on DirecTV to keep Viacom channels Today 6:16 AM
- Daniel Caesar dons cape for whiteness—and gets canceled Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Triton is a new malware ‘deliberately’ designed to put lives at risk Wednesday 3:23 PM
- ‘Into the Dark: I’m Just F*cking with You’ is one of the series’ best Wednesday 1:54 PM
Congrats to these bros who yelled ‘d**ks out for Harambe’ during a live hurricane report
D**ks out in a big storm for the dead gorilla.
“Dicks out for Harambe,” the catchphrase of mid-to-late 2016 and a sort of irreverent memorial for everyone’s favorite ape who died, means so much to so many. For example, it means social sanctioning—albeit mostly from teens and people on Facebook meme groups—to holler “dicks” in public. And people will go to great lengths, even into the midst of a Category 4 hurricane, to realize that dream.
An unidentified bro sporting long hair and shades braved the high winds of Hurricane Matthew to make his way to Juno Beach and into the background of a local reporter’s shot. At that moment, the newscaster was describing small children and pets being knocked over by the storm, subtly indicating that maybe it was a bad idea to be there.
But it was all worth it, I guess, because the courageous bro got to unleash the ol’ “Dicks out!” on live TV.
A lot of people will tell you that yelling “Dicks out for Harambe!” is faddish, asinine, and has past its peak. This is all true, but what I’m going to posit here is: What if it’s also good?
See, the thing people used to yell on local newscasts was “Fuck her right in the pussy!” The FHRITP meme was the DOFH meme of 2014, but much stupider and without any context. It was also based on a fake videobomb that was set up to go viral, but many people spread it like it was an organic Thing, and it became a plague to TV reporters everywhere.
“Dicks out for Harambe,” which at least has Danny Trejo going for it, has almost entirely supplanted FHRITP as the exclamation of choice for attention-seeking brohams who have the internet. For this, I am ever so slightly grateful.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.