- iPhone overloaded? Here’s how to cancel app subscriptions Monday 11:02 PM
- Fan-created ‘app’ lets users experience the final moments of the ill-fated Jeremy Renner app Monday 10:00 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos receives lifetime ban from furry convention Monday 7:49 PM
- Snapchat just made all political ads purchased publicly available Monday 6:12 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Borussia Dortmund in Champions League action Monday 5:39 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Napoli in Champions League action Monday 5:19 PM
- How to make real money with Amazon’s Mechanical Turk Monday 5:03 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Valencia in the Champions League group stage Monday 4:47 PM
- ‘SNL’ fires Shane Gillis for racist, homophobic comments Monday 4:41 PM
- Ben Shapiro wants accusers to describe Brett Kavanaugh’s penis Monday 4:30 PM
- Twitch suspends streamer for wearing Chun-Li cosplay Monday 4:11 PM
- Report: 8 years of Trump tax returns subpoenaed by prosecutors Monday 3:45 PM
- Netflix lands exclusive streaming rights to ‘Seinfeld’ Monday 3:34 PM
- Jenny Slate sets first comedy special at Netflix Monday 3:05 PM
- #EndSmearFear is aiming to save lives Monday 2:54 PM
RandomMakingMovies’ parody starts out shakily, without changing many of the original lyrics, but eventually arrives at the obvious punchline: “Dicks out for Harambe.”The slogan has become tired and overplayed in meme circles, but middle schoolers and college bros still seem to love it.
It also rehashes the old debate, unsettled and unsettleable, about whether the park service should have protected Harambe instead of the human child who fell into his enclosure. America is tired of this. There’s no good answer for an all-around terrible situation, and the longer an online discussion about it goes on, the more likely it will veer into blatant racism.
In Sweden, though, it’s apparently still a fun topic. Throw in a rap interlude capped off by vaping, and you’ve pretty much got the U.S. Internet 2016. This is what the rest of the world thinks of us, America, as we stand here with our dicks and our vapes defiantly out.
So, I’ll be honest with you, and it ain’t no lie: I never wanna hear you say “Dicks out for Harambe.”
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.