- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
Swedish dudes record ‘D**ks Out for Harambe’ in the style of Backstreet Boys
He was our fire, our one desire. #RIPHarambe.
RandomMakingMovies’ parody starts out shakily, without changing many of the original lyrics, but eventually arrives at the obvious punchline: “Dicks out for Harambe.”The slogan has become tired and overplayed in meme circles, but middle schoolers and college bros still seem to love it.
It also rehashes the old debate, unsettled and unsettleable, about whether the park service should have protected Harambe instead of the human child who fell into his enclosure. America is tired of this. There’s no good answer for an all-around terrible situation, and the longer an online discussion about it goes on, the more likely it will veer into blatant racism.
In Sweden, though, it’s apparently still a fun topic. Throw in a rap interlude capped off by vaping, and you’ve pretty much got the U.S. Internet 2016. This is what the rest of the world thinks of us, America, as we stand here with our dicks and our vapes defiantly out.
So, I’ll be honest with you, and it ain’t no lie: I never wanna hear you say “Dicks out for Harambe.”
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.