- ‘American Dirt’ controversy inspires meme about Latinx stereotypes in literature Wednesday 9:02 PM
- What is the TikTok ‘flex challenge’? Wednesday 8:03 PM
- GoFundMe to send ‘Target Tori’ on vacation raises more than $30K Wednesday 6:54 PM
- Furries stop domestic assault in viral video Wednesday 6:10 PM
- Gritty under police investigation for allegedly punching a teen fan Wednesday 6:04 PM
- Twitter users throw animal parties with emoji in new meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Woman who went viral supporting Soleimani killing exposed as Libyan militia lobbyist Wednesday 5:01 PM
- Jeff Bezos subtweets Saudi prince following phone hack report Wednesday 3:29 PM
- ‘Yeah, good. OK’ Bernie Sanders meme is a new way to dismiss people Wednesday 3:10 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Petty displays of affection Wednesday 2:12 PM
- Makeup artist transforms into Timothée Chalamet on TikTok Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Iguanas are falling from trees—and people are selling them online for food Wednesday 1:02 PM
- 75,000 sign petition to fire Wendy Williams after ‘cleft lip’ comment about Joaquin Phoenix Wednesday 12:30 PM
- Kim Kardashian says Kylie Jenner’s setting spray is ‘cheap sh*t’ Wednesday 11:59 AM
- Trump continues to demand Apple unlock iPhones for the government Wednesday 11:46 AM
With the decade coming to a close, people are participating in the Glow Up challenge of the decade: sharing photos of themselves from 2009 next to ones from 2019.
Okay, it’s that time! Show me what you looked like at the beginning of the decade vs the end! pic.twitter.com/9ub3Ckk5Fl— mari (@MusingsOfAGirl) November 13, 2019
Noelle Stevenson, the creator of Lumberjanes and She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, attached the caption: “Drama club gremlin, you have no idea what you’re in for.”
2009 --> 2019. Drama club gremlin, you have no idea what you're in for pic.twitter.com/8rW6Ug7v1B— Noelle Stevenson (@Gingerhazing) November 18, 2019
Some people are sharing their decade-long spectacular Glow Ups that touch on professional and life achievements, as well as style.
End of the decade challenge, so we can feel really gr8 abt ourselves HAHA ☃️ 2009-2019 pic.twitter.com/IQJoUdVzn5— Nikki Vicente (@NCLVCNT) December 31, 2018
@CorinthiansIOM 10 year challenge 2000-09 1 Div 2 championship 1 Flood-lit Cup 2009-2019 7 Div 1 championships 6 Flood-lit Cups 5 FA Cups @CorinthiansIOM have made @IOMFAWomenGirls history by winning one of the top three honours in every year of this decade including 3 trebles pic.twitter.com/oullXlVPvD— Paul Hatton (@Hatty1970) January 26, 2019
Something about decade challenge.— Eliza roux (@Eliza_Roux) November 18, 2019
While this guy flat out refused, saying “i’d do the 2009-2019 challenge but i’m not interested in documenting a decade of me being ugly for the internet’s sake so there you go.”
i'd do the 2009-2019 challenge but i'm not interested in documenting a decade of me being ugly for the internet's sake so there you go— whereisalex (@nowherealex) January 14, 2019
Twitter user @ladycoffee had the disturbing realization that high school for her was a decade ago (it comes for us all in time).
10 year challenge.. 2009-2019.. just now realising high school were a decade ago.. fuck me am old.. pic.twitter.com/6IL5FJ8e8i— noodle juice. (@ladyfcoffee) January 15, 2019
While others have taken that realization farther with the “how hard did aging hit you” variation on the original challenge.
THE "HOW HARD DID AGING HIT YOU" CHALLENGE 🙌— Candi Curtis (@candicurtis) January 13, 2019
Upload your ‘first’ ever profile pic and your most recent profile right next to it 👇 #FBAgingChallenge
(A decade in Central Oregon)
2009 - 2019
The “How Hard Did Aging Hit You?” Challenge. Take your 1st profile pic & your current profile pic and brace yourself.— L.A. Sjogren 🏳️🌈 (@la_sjogren) January 13, 2019
2009- 2019. 10 years. I've made every single change under the sun, but I'm back to square one; just more experienced and compassionate than I was a decade ago. pic.twitter.com/WzMdL91IQk
HoW HaRd DiD AgiNg Hit YoU?— christine agustin (@veordie) November 9, 2019
2014 vs 2019 pic.twitter.com/opjMKkOmdt
And the true heroes of the hour have applied the challenge to their pets instead.
My favorite part of the 2009/2019 challenge is finding this photo of a young Purry Furrington ~*~ My second favorite part is realizing that decade is finaaaally over. pic.twitter.com/POw9KgOCQK— Miss Rosen (@Miss_Rosen) January 14, 2019
My pets in 2009: a hedgehog and three axolotls.— Greven Rache (@GrevensEpiphany) October 16, 2019
My pets in 2019: a dog.
I've become boring in my old age.
I'm basically the same:— 👑pom pom, duches of puri👑 (@pom_pom_puri) November 18, 2019
2009 (snuggling up to a bearded man and holding an angry cat)
2019 (snuggling up to a bearded man and holding an angry cat pic.twitter.com/TLRvhXNGB5
Siobhan Ball is a historian, archivist, and journalist. She also writes for Autostraddle and bi.org