- Devin Nunes is suing Twitter over parody accounts of his mom, cow Monday 8:15 PM
- The best new movies at SXSW 2019 Monday 7:55 PM
- #AbledsAreWeird demonstrates how not to treat people with disabilities Monday 7:33 PM
- YouTubers keep uploading racist meme anthem played by New Zealand shooter Monday 5:38 PM
- Myspace confirms that a decade-plus of user-uploaded music is gone Monday 5:03 PM
- ‘Love, Death & Robots’ suffers from blatant sexism Monday 4:38 PM
- Khloe Kardashian faces backlash for Instagram post saying to ‘love thy racist neighbor’ Monday 4:07 PM
- This Twitter user wants to expose white YouTubers for racist, transphobic content Monday 3:55 PM
- Trump retweeted a QAnon supporter during his Twitter bender Monday 1:24 PM
- Katrina Pierson supports Trump tweeting more about Fox than New Zealand shooting Monday 1:19 PM
- PewDiePie’s alt-right ties are impossible to ignore Monday 1:05 PM
- With this blade, I protect this meme Monday 12:48 PM
- Lead actress in ‘The Color Purple’ revival criticized for homophobic post Monday 12:39 PM
- ‘Arrested Development’ ends the same way it did the first time—unceremoniously Monday 12:10 PM
- Alleged gunman tried to rob YouTuber Adam22 during livestream Monday 11:32 AM
This meme’s a winner.
The bingo card is a classic format for making fun of clichés and stereotypes. There’s a set of descriptions you can throw into a grid to be checked off, and you can bet it’ll be “bingo” every time. Although “[Insert Theme Here] Bingo” is a joke that goes back decades, it’s popular again thanks to very funny contemporary examples.
A few weeks ago, the Instagram account Jake’s Astrology created popular astrology bingo cards that roasted the 12 signs of the Zodiac. Katie Fitzpatrick also used the format in a “dating lefty dudes” bingo card that went viral over the weekend. With squares like “calls an Uber but is ‘against it'” and “makes you watch Black Mirror,” it really nails the zeitgeist of anti-capitalist bro Twitter. Apparently, there was a lot of demand for a sharp characterization like this, because it got 13,000 likes.
dating lefty dudes bingo card pic.twitter.com/661xN5iBgi
— Katie Fitzpatrick (@katiefitzpat) April 14, 2018
Fitzpatrick’s humor resonated, and spinoffs of her joke followed. Here’s the U.K. version of the “lefty men” meme:
— Emily Reynolds (@rey_z) April 17, 2018
Well-known lefty dude Will Menaker, one of the hosts of the Chapo Trap House podcast, made one called “dating me,” but it was entirely about the Amazon original series Bosch.
The official "Dating me" Bingo card pic.twitter.com/UgKSdj44mg
— Will🦕Menaker (@willmenaker) April 16, 2018
Others went for even more absurd angles:
looked up that bingo card that's going around and I'm not really sure I agree with some of these stereotypes pic.twitter.com/jZrlt7E9uM
— manga Columbo (@jimpjorps) April 16, 2018
It got to the point where people on DSA (Democratic Socialists of America) Twitter were joking about how far the bingo cards had gone:
DSA members subtweet so goddamn much we make fucking bingo card memes so we can fire them off 24 at a time
— mosh pit steward (@adult_altrnatve) April 17, 2018
Soon, the dating bingo theme had expanded to other kinds of bad people to date:
Right Wing Men (boys) on Twitter bingo card pic.twitter.com/OuXmgzBxsk
— Oli Coulson (@Oli_Coulson) April 17, 2018
dating city govt nerds bingo card pic.twitter.com/ysZ0v57SMy
— COIB Daily Dose (@NYCCOIB) April 16, 2018
And other topics entirely:
legacy publication fuckups bingo card pic.twitter.com/lSdAUzHswe
— Becca Schuh (@TamingofdeSchuh) April 16, 2018
Many people’s bingo cards were highly specific, including reference to themselves, their friends, and their podcasts:
people are doing this again so heres my bingo card pic.twitter.com/YRz5iKgHk6
— miraculous idiot (@fischrboy) April 17, 2018
Tom made a dating UK lefty women bingo card where the UK lefty woman is me pic.twitter.com/pCSjABNAaS
— kirstie allsopp (m-l) (@multiplebears) April 18, 2018
The official bingo card for reading my TL pic.twitter.com/xP3FGY80j7
— Bullneck (@Bullneck) April 16, 2018
— Bryan (@MurderBryan) April 17, 2018
These bingo card memes are likely spreading because the format is versatile and, more importantly, recognizable. Even if you don’t know what any of this gobbledegook means, you are likely familiar with bingo cards. Bingo cards are seen at major events, conventions, and sports playoffs. The “meme” part is just the new trend of “dating” bingo cards, kicked off by Fitzpatrick’s very funny original content.
Although the subsequent jokes didn’t really live up to the original, and this wave of bingo jokes is already over, you can bet people will keep pulling the ol’ bingo card trope out of the hopper for years, maybe decades to come.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.