- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Sunday 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
Conan has discovered bronies, and they’re going to wish he hadn’t
My Little Pony fandom may be embarrassed to be associated with Andy Richter.
Conan O’Brien has stepped into the world of bronies.
Bronies are adults, many of them men, who love the children’s show My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. They have conventions for the show, a massive online fan base, their own nonprofit organization, and a documentary about them coming out on LOGO.
The famed talk show host told his audience yesterday that he watched the Brony documentary—first released online back in January—and found their culture fascinating.
He even showed clips of the film, and a familiar face popped up among the My Little Pony fans.
Oops. How embarrassing. On Conan’s YouTube channel, the commenters are mostly bronies arguing about the comedian making fun of them.
Bronies have criticized the documentary itself for focusing only on the show’s male fans, so you can only imagine how well a spoof of the fandom went over in Equestria. Looks like Conan may have hit a sore spot.
But also, Andy Richter as a brony is pretty hilarious and worth a watch.
Screengrab via YouTube
Gaby Dunn is an actress, comedian, and blogger who covered YouTube for the Daily Dot. Since 2016, she’s hosted the podcast ‘Bad with Money,’ and operates a successful YouTube channel. Her writing has appeared in the New York Times, the Boston Globe, Vice, and Salon.