- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Saturday 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
Conan has discovered bronies, and they’re going to wish he hadn’t
My Little Pony fandom may be embarrassed to be associated with Andy Richter.
Conan O’Brien has stepped into the world of bronies.
Bronies are adults, many of them men, who love the children’s show My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. They have conventions for the show, a massive online fan base, their own nonprofit organization, and a documentary about them coming out on LOGO.
The famed talk show host told his audience yesterday that he watched the Brony documentary—first released online back in January—and found their culture fascinating.
He even showed clips of the film, and a familiar face popped up among the My Little Pony fans.
Oops. How embarrassing. On Conan’s YouTube channel, the commenters are mostly bronies arguing about the comedian making fun of them.
Bronies have criticized the documentary itself for focusing only on the show’s male fans, so you can only imagine how well a spoof of the fandom went over in Equestria. Looks like Conan may have hit a sore spot.
But also, Andy Richter as a brony is pretty hilarious and worth a watch.
Screengrab via YouTube
Gaby Dunn is an actress, comedian, and blogger who covered YouTube for the Daily Dot. Since 2016, she’s hosted the podcast ‘Bad with Money,’ and operates a successful YouTube channel. Her writing has appeared in the New York Times, the Boston Globe, Vice, and Salon.