- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
- Influencer accuses Lisa Frank of stealing apartment design, says that’s why she’s getting evicted Monday 6:12 PM
- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter Monday 4:08 PM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Monday 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Monday 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Monday 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Monday 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Monday 3:03 PM
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Monday 2:46 PM
- Pro-Trump meme comedian Carpe Donktum suspended by Twitter (updated) Monday 1:35 PM
- Here are all of the Disney+ titles available to stream at launch Monday 12:52 PM
- Rumor: Apple to release $399 iPhone SE follow-up next year Monday 12:44 PM
- Sulli, K-pop star who spoke against cyberbullying, dead at 25 Monday 12:37 PM
- The latest front in Turkey’s digital war against the Kurds? Google reviews Monday 12:19 PM
- Slow iPhone got you down? Here’s how to speed it back up Monday 11:49 AM
Conan has discovered bronies, and they’re going to wish he hadn’t
My Little Pony fandom may be embarrassed to be associated with Andy Richter.
Conan O’Brien has stepped into the world of bronies.
Bronies are adults, many of them men, who love the children’s show My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. They have conventions for the show, a massive online fan base, their own nonprofit organization, and a documentary about them coming out on LOGO.
The famed talk show host told his audience yesterday that he watched the Brony documentary—first released online back in January—and found their culture fascinating.
He even showed clips of the film, and a familiar face popped up among the My Little Pony fans.
Oops. How embarrassing. On Conan’s YouTube channel, the commenters are mostly bronies arguing about the comedian making fun of them.
Bronies have criticized the documentary itself for focusing only on the show’s male fans, so you can only imagine how well a spoof of the fandom went over in Equestria. Looks like Conan may have hit a sore spot.
But also, Andy Richter as a brony is pretty hilarious and worth a watch.
Screengrab via YouTube
Gaby Dunn is an actress, comedian, and blogger who covered YouTube for the Daily Dot. Since 2016, she’s hosted the podcast ‘Bad with Money,’ and operates a successful YouTube channel. Her writing has appeared in the New York Times, the Boston Globe, Vice, and Salon.